• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Diffense

So far, the game has lived up to the hype for me and I haven't even left the first area.
The only things I could fault it for, so far, are due to the Wii's limitations.
I hope those awaiting copies get it soon.

Ledsen

RPGCrazied said:
Yeah, but I just wanted to spend no more than $50. My Zavvi order was only $48. Before I reorder it will be after I get a full refund and waiting another 10 days. :( Though after another 5 I probably will just ask for a refund.
When I wanted a refund from Zavvi it took them two months to pay me. Worst customer service in the business.

Thoraxes

I heard you guys like pretty 1080p Dolphin screenshots.
sx4p01-991u1r.png

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
^ My computer can't run Dolphin but I am so happy knowing that this is possible.

wsippel

Banned
Lord Ghirahim said:
...didn't do anywhere as well as it should have because it's a Wii game.
Yeah, but at least Nintendo isn't like many other publishers and expanded Monolith significantly, second studio and everything, instead of shutting them down.

wsippel said:
Yeah, but at least Nintendo isn't like many other publishers and expanded Monolith significantly, second studio and everything, instead of shutting them down.

...and then promptly refused to release their years-long megaproject in the largest video game market. :-(

KarmaCow

Mojojo said:
For a long time, she was only wearing the diving suit in my party

Heh yea, it's funny how those two strips of fabric had more armour than full suits for a while. Also
Sharla running out to go save Juju with her ass hanging out of the bikini took something away from the scene.

Gvaz said:
Is it bad that I have more fun dressing them up than I should? :(

Have you played Resonance of Fate? :3

kiryogi said:
Bah I'm at work. Don't you dare start this.

What games has this guy actually MADE? I can see only Xenogears and Xenosaga Episode 1 where he actually has a Director credit.

Despera

Banned
Gvaz said:
I have it but never played it much. That's the one with the Tri Attack thing, right?
Yeah. But make sure you don't start that game right after a Xenoblade session. You probably won't be able to handle the downgrade and end up breaking the RoF disc in half.

Mojojo

Alrus said:
Damn Bitter Kiwis, I can't find you anywhere :(
i found one running around the chasms in the south east area of the map (abyss something and the others up from it).. Then when i wanted to find another one, I did that again.. for an hour and a half.. but never got one again <.<

Alex

Personally, I've always found Takahashi to be , well, a hack, and certainly railed on him plenty on the old forums back in the day. :p I'm sure people more wild about the whole digital anime bit dig his past work up but his titles have always had very poor pacing and were flimsy at best in regards to combat, subsystems and area design, even while being by the books affairs. Honestly, prior to this the best thing that's ever come from his prior creations to me was probably Xenocard, which was rad.

Xenoblade is still rife with too many (somewhat janky) minor cutscenes, but the turn around in regards to the rest is pretty impressive. Not only does it take a complete 180 from his norm but it patches up nearly every last complaint I've had with Japanese open world titles in the past thus far. Lovely to see all of the fleshed out subsystems and proper emulation of a good MMORPG battle system 'sides just tossing in field roaming and auto-attack and calling it a day.

Outside of character vignettes and world/universe building, I'm not much of a plotting guy, but it's had a few cool quirks and has, most importantly, been very inoffensive thus far. Nothing at all cringe-worthy. Characters are a bit flat, at least at the moment but I'm still early in. The chatter and strong camaraderie is fun and endearing in it's own right, though.

Despite the troubles in the end with the whole localization issue, I'm really liking the voice work. I wouldn't mind EU taking more localization leads in the future, it's a nice departure from the same extremely small pool of actors used in Japanese game dubs in the US.

Anyhow, top-tier game that I didn't expect to be anything near. I've never felt the various forms of JRPGs were hurting like some folks, but there aren't really many of the traditional persuasion though other than late 90s type affairs like Radiant History or Trails in the Sky. Nice to see such a high quality, modern styled one.

kiryogi

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Have you played Resonance of Fate? :3

What games has this guy actually MADE? I can see only Xenogears and Xenosaga Episode 1 where he actually has a Director credit.

:O answer my PM!

Yes that'd be what would be under director credit. But the Xenosaga series was still largely his (and his wife). And although he was credited as producer for Soma Bringer, which he still played a pretty major role.

Ulthwe

Hi, I just had
Sharla
join the party, and now we're heading to
Colony 6 in order to rescue her brother.

I still have some doubt regarding combat, namely:
  1. The "B" button quick-time. I know when you start a battle it appears and if you time the button press correctly it gives you a boost, but what does it boost?
  2. Why does the "B" button sometimes appear in the middle of a battle? What triggers it? I'm not talking about helping your allies, but the same quick-time action as above.
  3. Regarding Monado and it's power to
    predict the future
    . As soon as I see the action that harms an ally, what should I do? I believe you have to advise him/her with the "B" button, but what then? I believe you get to choose one of his/her arts, but sometimes I don't get to choose one of theirs so I'm left simply helpng them with Shulk's curing art.

Antagon

Ulthwe said:
Hi, I just had
Sharla
join the party, and now we're heading to
Colony 6 in order to rescue her brother.

I still have some doubt regarding combat, namely:
  1. The "B" button quick-time. I know when you start a battle it appears and if you time the button press correctly it gives you a boost, but what does it boost?
  2. Why does the "B" button sometimes appear in the middle of a battle? What triggers it? I'm not talking about helping your allies, but the same quick-time action as above.
  3. Regarding Monado and it's power to
    predict the future
    . As soon as I see the action that harms an ally, what should I do? I believe you have to advise him/her with the "B" button, but what then? I believe you get to choose one of his/her arts, but sometimes I don't get to choose one of theirs so I'm left simply helpng them with Shulk's curing art.

The B button quicktimes increase tension during battle. Each character has a certain amount of tension which has an effect on their chances to miss or score critical hits. The portrait gives an indication how much tension they have, if they look sad it's low, if they look fired up it's high. The quick time prompts that appear during battle are triggered by party members missing or scoring a critical.

For the future prediction
it depends on the type of attack that the enemy does. If the name is displayed in grey you should use the
monado shield
ability otherwise normal abilities work. For example, with reyn you can use block to lower damage, you can try and daze an enemy to stop the attack outright, you can heal the player or maybe use an ability that lowers aggro so that the boss changes targets.

As I play more and more of this game (at the end of the Wii's life) I'm amazed by the overall graphical quality/art direction and scale for a Wii game... Too bad really more developers didn't invest more into the platform, Nintendo too, to a degree.

Level 21 now and so far it's my current GOTY.

Jintor said:
Copy just arrived, now learning how to Dolphin

Only thing that sucks about Dolphin now (for new users) is that it can be a pain in the ass to setup the 360 controller button mapping. The CC/GC works great though.

Ulthwe

Antagon said:
The quick time prompts that appear during battle are triggered by party members missing or scoring a critical.
And they serve what purpose? Affinity?

Antagon said:
For the future prediction
it depends on the type of attack that the enemy does. If the name is displayed in grey you should use the
monado shield
ability otherwise normal abilities work. For example, with reyn you can use block to lower damage, you can try and daze an enemy to stop the attack outright, you can heal the player or maybe use an ability that lowers aggro so that the boss changes targets.
Ok, but as soon as the
prediction
ends, do I have to "talk" to the affected ally and then I get to choose one of his/her arts, or I'm left with my own arts (usually Shulk as main party member) to defend them?

Mistle

I've also noticed that the "B" quick-time thing boosts that blue bar in the top left of HUD, which allows revival and the multi-talent attack.

Haha, excuse my lack of using proper names. I should probably become more familiar with them.

McNum

Ulthwe said:
Ok, but as soon as the
prediction
ends, do I have to "talk" to the affected ally and then I get to choose one of his/her arts, or I'm left with my own arts (usually Shulk as main party member) to defend them?
All it is, is a
prediction on what's going to happen.
How you deal with it is your call. You can run, you can counter it with the proper arts, you can heal to soften the blow, or you can ask one of your party members to use an art. Or you can just take the hit if it looks okay. Like if it says "MISS" then you can just ignore it, or point and laugh at the silly enemy.

Antagon

Ulthwe said:
And they serve what purpose? Affinity?

They increase tension and the group bar.

Ok, but as soon as the
prediction

That's your call. Ask an ally to use a skill, try to heal em up enough, try to pull aggro off of him, daze or kill the enemy, whatever.

Hiltz

I'm only at level 9 or 10 roaming around Colony 9 with
Shulk, Fiori and that orange- haired guy
.I'm about to enter a
cave as part of the story to get some fuel. It comes after the cut scene at the weapons lab when the Monado sword showed Shulk a glimpse of the the future. Speaking of swords, I sure hope I can get a better one for Shulk soon. The first one he has is a piece of crap but I haven't been able to buy a new one for him yet.

The one thing I will say that I enjoy a lot is the level of freedom given to the player. You can just do whatever you want at your own pace. Want to explore? Go ahead. Want to focus more on fighting monsters? Sure. Want to do quests/find stuff to collect? You can do that. Want to make progress to the story? Hey, whenever you're ready.

I'm enjoying the game and when it gets even better I will feel like sending NOA a picture of my middle finger.

Oxx

Soundtrack still won't download and I haven't played the game for a couple of days because I kept getting killed by the big-ass
spider
. Trouble in paradise.

protonion

Amanon uk rocks!
Mine was dispatched tuesday night and it was in my mail this (Friday) morning. And I live on the other side of Europe!

Torraz

Just got up to the three hours mark and wow, what an awesome game.

I've a question though. What do I do when I have trouble locating a quest giver or quest objective? I don't see an option to track them on the map or anything.

I'm looking for the girl whose watch I was supposed to fix and for the lake monster at overlook park. In search of the latter I even jumped into the water at day and night time, but I was unable to find it

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Torraz said:

I've a question though. What do I do when I have trouble locating a quest giver or quest objective? I don't see an option to track them on the map or anything.

I'm looking for the girl whose watch I was supposed to fix and for the lake monster at overlook park. In search of the latter I even jumped into the water at day and night time, but I was unable to find it

She should be
near the gem craft thing during daytime

You can check the times when NPC's are available in the social links menu. You still need to find them though.

KarmaCow

The quests are pretty annoying in that way. If you're looking for someone, check out the affinity chart to check out what times they are active and then just wander around until you see a red exclamation mark on the minimap. For other stuff, listen to what the NPC says when giving the quest because sometimes they give you an idea where to look. And other times they just say find something and you're screwed.

gamingeek

UK GAF

Is the nintendo.co.uk free soundtrack download working for you?

I haven't been able to get it to work, keep getting errors and the download cuts out for over a week now.

wsippel

Banned
bubnbob said:
Nah, this is cutscene music when shit goes down
Still can't get over the fact that Unfinished Battle, another excellent tune, is also only ever used in a single cutscene. The game is really wasteful with awesome pieces of music.

gamingeek said:
UK GAF

Is the nintendo.co.uk free soundtrack download working for you?

I haven't been able to get it to work, keep getting errors and the download cuts out for over a week now.

Pause the download about 70MB in - then start it up about 5 seconds later.

Antagon

Torraz said:

For the monster, jump into the water in between the stairs at night.

sublimit

Banned
I've been playing for 2 days now and the game is simply incredible.I spend a whole day just fooling around in the first town and the nearby areas.I've trouble finding some quest objectives though.

Top Bottom