• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Sklorenz said:
Darn. A mail truck stopped outside of my house. I was super excited, but he ended up just delivering a package to my neighbor's door :(

Then ANOTHER truck came, this time for me, but it was just some stuff from Amazon. Gah! I've got some Bastion to carry me through the weekend at any rate if necessary, and a couple other games for longer if necessary. Two trucks in a row was such a tease.

I feel like you should change your avatar to this when you get the game:

srroM.jpg

Famassu

meppi said:
Absolutely. But only when using Zavvi or Thehut.
If you get lucky, you can get a game or movie from them in about a week time, but most of the time it takes 2-4 weeks from those shops.
Like, 1 out of every 20 orders takes more than 7-8 days to arrive to me from Zavvi & TheHut (and we're talking faroff Northern Finland here). If they send something on Monday, I usually get it Friday or Monday-Tuesday of the next week at latest. And when there has been some problem, it hasn't been because of TheHut or Zavvi (once a game I ordered took a detour through Hungary and I don't even remember where, totally a mistake by someone who put it on that plane/truck/whatever to Hungary & last year the post office in Finland had a strike for a week or two and some other, smaller businesses took the workload for that time, and the ones that should've delivered my order to me didn't do so, and TheHut was actually very helpful in helping me find where my game was)

I have a confession to make:

I took a page out of the book of RPGCrazied and went and purchased DeusEx. I couldnt help it. I needed something new and fresh and who knows when XC will show up.

As you can see I certainly live up to my username.

Watch Xeno end up coming in tomorrow.

JumpingTheGun said:

I took a page out of the book of RPGCrazied and went and purchased DeusEx. I couldnt help it. I needed something new and fresh and who knows when XC will show up.

That's nothing to be embarrassed about!

Reknoc said:
I don't want to use Dunban because I don't want to mess with his armour since he looks so boss in his default.

I managed to find a piece of armour for him that's just a palette swap from his default piece to royal blue and purple.

He looks awesome.

SoulFist

JumpingTheGun said:

I'm about to do the same thing. I ordered Legend of Heroes:Trails in the Sky, and Tactics Ogre for psp when they were on sale and was going to play them after Xenoblade, but dang it I need something to play!

totowhoa

Banned
SecretMoblin said:
I feel like you should change your avatar to this when you get the game:

http://i.imgur.com/srroM.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Aha, when I made this avatar, I intended to change it periodically with edits like that. I think that may be my first.

Reknoc said:
I don't want to use Dunban because I don't want to mess with his armour since he looks so boss in his default.

You are missing out, tribal Dunban looked great. Now my Dunban's wearing a pallette swap of his original outfit, but with an eyepatch.

JumpingTheGun said:

First order of business is find a Hooker and punch her

Reknoc

Die Squirrel Die said:
You are missing out, tribal Dunban looked great. Now my Dunban's wearing a pallette swap of his original outfit, but with an eyepatch.
:O eyepatch Dunban sounds great.

I'll use Dunban in the future I feel when one member of my party becomes dead weight.

Labadal

I played for several hours today. Cenoblade? More like Xenocrack!

I've almost reached Colony 6 now. I've done tons of sidequests and it feels like they will never end. Can you screw up sidequests? If you do one, you lock another, etc?

wsippel

Banned
MatthewB92 said:
Question about a quest in Makna forest.
How do I know when it's a hot day?
Most likely don't need spoilers but still lol.
Stand still, look at the scenery. On a hot day, you'll notice a subtle heat haze effect.

Yuterald

OMG!!! It came today!!!

100_0677.jpg

Now altogether with the whole family, lol!

100_0680.jpg

Fuck you Hurricane Irene! Time to play this until my eyes bleed!!!!

Pyrokai

So are we playing with the Japanese or English tracks? I seriously can't decide! I keep flipping between the two! Never played a game in Japanese before so I'd like to stick with that, but I hear the English voice is almost required for battles. What do you guys think? Also, can't decide if the English voice acting is good :p

Labadal

Pyrokai said:
So are we playing with the Japanese or English tracks? I seriously can't decide! I keep flipping between the two! Never played a game in Japanese before so I'd like to stick with that, but I hear the English voice is almost required for battles. What do you guys think? Also, can't decide if the English voice acting is good :p

I'm using English only so I can understand what the hell they say in battles. If I ever replay it, it will be in Japanese.

Gvaz

Banned
The english voice acting is pretty darn good, but well, it gets rather annoying to hear "IT'S REYN TIME!" like 3 times a battle :|

You could turn it to japanese but then you start having to pay more attention to the UI and graphics because you lose all the audio cues.

the voice acting has grown a bit on me, but playing a JRPG without Yuri Lowenthal and Johny Young Bosch definitely feels weird now

very chatty game, reminds of a lot of Tales of Vesperia (tidal wave!) with everyone shouting their move sets

Go_Ly_Dow

Dub has some flavour so I went with the English track.

Favourite line - Shulk > Reyn: "You've been protecting me since I can remember mate".

Sennorin

Banned
I´m playing with Japanese voice-acting, since Japanese are the gods of synchronization thanks to their big anime-culture. I guess the English va is good, too, but still...

kiryogi

Banned
quinntendopower said:
the voice acting has grown a bit on me, but playing a JRPG without Yuri Lowenthal and Johny Young Bosch definitely feels weird now

very chatty game, reminds of a lot of Tales of Vesperia (tidal wave!) with everyone shouting their move sets

This britlish is so much better without JYB and alike. This is one of my most favorite dubs in a long time.

wrowa

MicH said:
Really? Is Royal Mail that slow? I assume it's their fault?
To say it once again: Via Zavvi shipping from the UK to Germany can take up to three weeks. And now take a look at a world map. See how close both of the countries are?

Zavvi offers free shipping internationally. That's great. But it comes with its price -- the shipments might arrive after a relatively short while, but many times it takes long. But everyone who has chosen a service that ships for free from the UK to the US should have been aware that it might very well take a long time. If you want to make sure that you get your game quickly there's only one solution: Order the game with another shipment method.

Reveirg

Well, I only got to play 1h30, I had to ******* LEAVE FOR WORK!!!!

It's been said before, but the hype is appropriate, this game is HUGE and FANTASTIC.

I haven't felt this way about a video game since FFXI. By the way, I think this game has much more in common with FFXI than FFXII... quest system, the "fame/affinity" system, battles, positioning for abilities, the huge seamless world. This game is extraordinarily GOOD.

The story is very good so far too, the universe is immersive and some plot devices bring a lot of intrigue.

The game is a bit overwhelming at the beginning, there's EXP, AP, SP, gems, collectables, quests, affinity, heart-to-heart, unique monsters, break, topple, daze -- ahhhh! So many stuff that will make for such a deep experience!

Xenoblade is not just an awesome RPG, it's a veritable LESSON IN RPG MAKING

Take note, Square-Enix. I was one of those who loved FFXIII, but this game is making it hard for me to defend XIII anymore...

A few minor gripes I have so far :
-The sound mixing is a mess. Music is too low, too many battle voices and sound effects. It's a shame we can't have any control over those things. The soundtrack is fantastic but I fear it won't shine as much as it could have.

-The UI is too big! There's a LOT of stuff going on the screens, and that's a shame because it blocks the incredible views on the landscape.

A few great things I haven't seen mentionned a lot :
-Not only is the voice acting very well done, but the quality of the recordings is flawless. This is a huge advantage this game has over the last few I've been playing (Catherine, Xenosaga III), where the sound is much too compressed and the s'es get crunched.

-The sound effects for newly discovered landmarks is SPOT ON.

-This game is GODLY. Oh yes, this has been said before... but needs to be said again.

More impressions to come later. I can't wait to get off work and play again around midnight.

wrowa

RPGCrazied said:
Says Airmail in my email, have no clue what that is.
Airmail isn't a postal service, but the type of delivering. It means that your game was delivered to the US via a plane and not on a ship.

I've stepped into an alternate timeline. Xenoblade is actually what FF XII could have been if not for the unfortunate circumstances surrounding its development. Or better yet, this is what XIII should have been, an evolution of XII that mixed in the best parts of other popular RPGS/MMOS. The only thing I can think of to complain about so far...no way to disable the battle chit-chat, no online co-op, no keyboard support for button assignment of each skill. Yes, 25 hours into this game, and I really like it.

RPGCrazied said:
Huh? In the US? I only know of Labor Day coming next weekend.

In the UK. It's one of the few public holidays we get :p

That said, if your package is already out of the UK, I can't see it affecting you.

RPGCrazied

HiddenAway said:
In the UK. It's one of the few public holidays we get :p

That said, if your package is already out of the UK, I can't see it affecting you.

Almost 2 weeks of being shipped, it better be out of the UK. :p

sublimit

Banned
Reveirg said:
The game is a bit overwhelming at the beginning, there's EXP, AP, SP, gems, collectables, quests, affinity, heart-to-heart, unique monsters, break, topple, daze -- ahhhh! So many stuff that will make for such a deep experience!

Haha i felt the same way too but as you say it's a good thing.

My only complaint so far is that the map on the top right is not very informative (as you usually need to have a sense of a bigger scale than that),and bringing up the full size map takes some time and some needless button presses.

Quick question for those upto Alcamoth
will I still be able to do the sidequests once I've gone to High Entia Tomb? That's not the cut off point, right?

Top Bottom