• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Mistle

Ah, I see. Well I'll mix it up a bit then. It's not that I have purposely avoided playing as other characters, I just sort of forgot that the option was there.

Hmmm. I just reached the part of the game where I have over 3 part members, and I have to choose which will be my main 3. This decision is always tough for me in JRPGs, lol.

Mistle said:
Ah, I see. Well I'll mix it up a bit then. It's not that I have purposely avoided playing as other characters, I just sort of forgot that the option was there.

Hmmm. I just reached the part of the game where I have over 3 part members, and I have to choose which will be my main 3. This decision is always tough for me in JRPGs, lol.

Wait till you get more party members, the decision will be even harder :p I constantly swap them out to see what works best for me but still can't decide :p Guess I'll just keep switching them around, brings some variation to the fights and battleshouts (although I play in japanese and can't understand what they are saying :p).

wrowa

PetrCobra said:
That's exactly why I started playing as
Melia
recently, with
Sharla as a party member, because an old quest wants me to raise the affinity between them
. The third party member is anyone besides Shulk, since I was using him for the first 30 or 35 hours and the affinities are a little bit imbalanced (although not as much as I would have expected)
Oh, I completely forgot about that quest. That's a good excuse to have Sharla in the party again. (Most of the time I'm using
Shulk/Dunban/Mellia with either Shulk or Mellia as the MC

Mistle said:
Somehow I don't have much of a problem with that decision in Xenoblade. Compared to other RPGs there isn't that much overlap between the characters and pretty much all parties are viable. Makes it more interesting to mix things up a little imo.

Mojojo

Mistle said:

There are so many sidequests in this game, I didn't find it a problem to mix my party a lot... I just put back Shulk in when doing the main storyline.

And don't forget you can raise (or lower) affinity between party members with collectables they can use as gifts (option appear when selecting a collectable in the inventory bag)

Questions for anyone who has finished the forest area:

How do I work Melia into my team? I read the GameFAQs threads that kiryogi linked to and I've read other threads suggesting she's overpowered, but with a Melia/Dunban/Shulk setup I'm barely able to make it through fights with uniques 2-3 levels below me because of the lack of healing. I think most of the problem is that Shulk draws too much aggro and Dunban not enough, but I've equipped as many aggro up/down gems as possible and Shulk still gets murdered out there. I'm aware of the great spear/knee combo to topple, but the arts don't recharge fast enough to make them useful in long battles.

Is it just a matter of levels? At higher levels is Melia easier to incorporate into a team? Because at the moment the only thing I have to rely on to heal is Shulk's one art and Melia's weak water spell, and that isn't enough.

Hyllian

SecretMoblin said:

How do I work Melia into my team? I read the GameFAQs threads that kiryogi linked to and I've read other threads suggesting she's overpowered, but with a Melia/Dunban/Shulk setup I'm barely able to make it through fights with uniques 2-3 levels below me because of the lack of healing. I think most of the problem is that Shulk draws too much aggro and Dunban not enough, but I've equipped as many aggro up/down gems as possible and Shulk still gets murdered out there. I'm aware of the great spear/knee combo to topple, but the arts don't recharge fast enough to make them useful in long battles.

Is it just a matter of levels? At higher levels is Melia easier to incorporate into a team? Because at the moment the only thing I have to rely on to heal is Shulk's one art and Melia's weak water spell, and that isn't enough.

My chars are full of "HP up II/III", "Strength Up II/III", "Muscle Up II/III" and "Agility Up II/III". Shulk almost never dies. And I always choose my equip with highest DEF attribute. I know it isn't the smartest combination, but while it's working I'll stick to it.

Antagon

SecretMoblin said:

I've destroyed some higher lvl uniques and a slightly lower lvl boss with a
riki/dunban/shulk
setup. You shouldn't go all out right at the start of the fight and upgrade shadow eye so you can use that regularly. With skill links you can also give shulk some more aggro down I think and Dunban has an aggro up skill. I still pull aggro with Shulk at times, but fights are still easilly doable.

Re:SecretMoblin .
Melia really needs Sharla or Rikki in a party to provide healing support (for bosses and tougher enemies, regulars fights don't go on long enough). In a way you said it with the word Uniques (I've beaten some using Melia Sharla Rikki). Starlight Kick is when she becomes decent.
(reason for that)
it inflicts topple when another of her artes is used before and some people say this works on things that resist it outside of chain attacks.

And yes you're right
I'm of the opinion that Summon Aqua sucks. The regen effect is too weak as is the HP sap.

KarmaCow said:
Do you need to do all the quests to get 5 stars in the affinity chart for an area? I wasn't paying attention and started the
Colony 6 restoration
which canceled some quests.
Each quest you do gives a certain amount of reputation points (things like monster quests and material quests give fairly low amounts*, ones which change affinity links give much more). Also talking to named NPCs to update the affinity chart will give you these. Sometimes its best to talk to the same person twice as they can raise it twice.

*-These are worth doing if you get them at the stage of the game you're supposed to do as it basically gives you a small reward for what you were doing anyway.

On terms of that area you seem to get a lot of quests
from the people you invite, I think these people count as Colony 6. Btw, each inevitable person has certain prerequisites as in certain reconstructions levels needed.

slaughterking said:
Oh noes (Colony 9 sidequest spoiler):
I ruined Emmy Leater's career. I didn't intent to do that. I swear, Emmy!
Well (future details)
I hear Miller gives you a sidequest very late game to sort this out. Its slightly different depending on which way you went

So my quest progress: I'm approximately
quests done.

A little hidden thing I noticed with skill trees. The tree you have select grants stat boosts (but only when that tree is selected). For instance the
Wizdom tree of Dunban at the first level grants an agility boost of 2 but this skill maxed (and still selected) will give 15 points
. I'd put learning new skills over a few points in stats myself but thats me.

Sadist

Finally! After fighting the same damn enemy 15 times in the Entia Tomb

I beat the Tellthia and Tyrea. Did some armour changes, some gems and presto: took the beast down first and afterwards I let Reyn pummel her to death lol

Wichu

R_thanatos said:
just registered my copy on nintendo europe website .i can't say no to the original soundtrack
You mean the 'special soundtrack' - it's just a selection of songs from the full soundtrack. Fortunately, you get a lot of good ones.

Ah so now I find the Japanese wiki (I think, unless there is another one). Their list for
Colony 6 reconstruction and immigration is the most concise one I've found, assuming it complete that is (its here). The notes seem to suggest a some might have quests in their original areas...

This other website I think overall is a better resource as the labelled maps are good and you can use its co-ordinates to find regular monsters as well.

wrowa

Starwolf, you haven't done by any chance the brother quest in Colony 9?
I'm still wondering which choice is the better one, lol. Let the Nopon explore the world or force him to stay?

wrowa said:
Starwolf, you haven't done by any chance the brother quest in Colony 9?
I'm still wondering which choice is the better one, lol. Let the Nopon explore the world or force him to stay?
Wait,
There was an option to force him to stay :( Whoops. Anyway when he left the other brother give me an item collecting quest to do, which I've not got round to completing (I'm at 4 star affinity for that area, need to focus on others)

wrowa

Starwolf_UK said:
Wait,
There was an option to force him to stay :( Whoops. Anyway when he left the other brother give me an item collecting quest to do, which I've not got round to completing (I'm at 4 star affinity for that area, need to focus on others)
You can either give the orb to the Nopon or to the younger brother. If you give the orb to the Nopon you'll get the collecting quest afterwards, if you give the orb to the younger brother the Nopon will give you a quest to improve his relationship with his grandma.

Actually, I want to let him go, but I'm somehow to afraid that he might die :lol

Hazanko

Banned
This game is one of the best rpgs I've ever played. It might sound like hyperbole but it's not. I don't think many rpgs have been this good. My favourites being, Shenmue, Star Wars: KTOR, Zelda: MM and OOT.

beje

Banned
I'm currently doing sidequests in Gaur plains after reaching the
Refugee Camp
and most of them are "timed". How much story time do I have before they become locked? I'm currently in the story mission where you have to go look for
Juju, after he runs away

I'm around level 48 now
Placing spoilers is tricky with this game, I don't even want to name locations so lets just say this section was rather chilly...
*probably some significant spoilers within*
Goddamn did that mountain section suck, I felt like I was meandering around forever in those snowy wastes, the landmarks are so far apart that making a foolish choice in opponents can lead to a lengthy retread. And the daytime music kind of sucks as well.
I did switch things up for a bit and play as Riki which was surprisingly fun, tried playing as Melia but I barely made it through two fights alive.
I guess it was made better by awesome Dunban sword skills in the cutscene after the boss battle.

Now about this whole friendship/affinity stuff, why is it that teammates two and three just don't seem to get very chummy with each other? it's like their adoration goes straight to the player character and that's it. Am i'm going to have to do numerous team switching before accepting missions for unity or something?

KarmaCow

beje said:
I'm currently doing sidequests in Gaur plains after reaching the
Refugee Camp
and most of them are "timed". How much story time do I have before they become locked? I'm currently in the story mission where you have to go look for
Juju, after he runs away

AFAIK, there is a point where you can sorta choose when to cancel it. It's part of another quest down the line and someone will give you an option to go or not. If you really want to know it's when you
get the refugees to head back to Colony 6 to start the restoration

Varion

Nocturnowl said:
Now about this whole friendship/affinity stuff, why is it that teammates two and three just don't seem to get very chummy with each other? it's like their adoration goes straight to the player character and that's it. Am i'm going to have to do numerous team switching before accepting missions for unity or something?
It does, seen as you're the one pressing the button heh.

Anyway you could, or you could just have the other party members give each other presents and get their affection up that way.

Hela

After 18 hours I just realized that you can set the in-game time manually and that you can select a quick travel waypoint from any map (before that I was teleporting on the local map and walking, now I use the menu maps), I feel like a retard.

Dascu

Which character trades a Forget-You-Not? I need another one for a quest and I don't feel like trekking through the Marsh again.

wrowa

Hela said:
After 18 hours I just realized that you can set the in-game time manually and that you can select a quick travel waypoint from any map (before that I was teleporting on the local map and walking, now I use the menu maps), I feel like a retard.
Rightfully so! At least the latter one was said in a tutorial window ;)

8 days out from Zavvi. I'm starting to get antsy.

As in, a little part of my day for the last two days has been centered around periodically checking the mail.

Also, it would astound me if the game truly took two to three full weeks to arrive. Like, I would be shocked that the USPS's infrastructure and logistics are still that bad in 2011.

33 hours. Location:
Valak Mountains.

Literally just got there. I spent some just wandering around doing little quests in Colony 9 and
getting the portable gem crafting machine.
After that I literally spent 45 minutes to an hour just reequiping everyone with the latest weapons/armour and gems, then selling the rest, then levelling everyones art up. Shit takes ages!

RIKI LOOKS SO DAMN CUTE IN FULL PANTHER GEAR. LIKE A LITTLE TIGER. AND HIS EAR FLAPS HAVE PAWS ON THE END.

Story (big spoilers):
What is Fiora's new name? I get confused between who she's talking to and what her name is. It's Lady M-something and V-something. And I found Désirée in Colony 9 who's father was Xord.

LevityNYC said:
Got my copy from Game today. It shipped 8/16 to New Jersey.

Played the little intro...looks awesome so far. Its like Final Fantasy 12 meets Final Fantasy 13....only if FF 13 wasn't terrible and actually had exploration and towns

And yet I still don't have mine, same time frame and place...

Gvaz

Banned
I love this game but nothing in here is innovating really. I mean, it does new things for the jrpg genre, but the mechanics themselves aren't new.

Them graphics.

dfe9e72d.png

Excuse the quality, taken on phone cam.

wrowa

CruxisMana said:
Story (big spoilers):
What is Fiora's new name? I get confused between who she's talking to and what her name is. It's Lady M-something and V-something. And I found Désirée in Colony 9 who's father was Xord.
Uhm... who was
Xord
again? The person who
died in the intro?

Why am I even putting the latter part into a spoiler? Oh well.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
RPGCrazied said:
We will be waiting until the end of time I'm afraid.
At least zavvi started shipping when the game released, my 365games order didn't ship until Tuesday, AND I have free US shipping. Might as well forget it for a while.

mattiewheels said:
At least zavvi started shipping when the game released, my 365games order didn't ship until Tuesday, AND I have free US shipping. Might as well forget it for a while.
i bet yours will come before RPGCrazied. lol.

mjc

Mr. Wonderful said:
8 days out from Zavvi. I'm starting to get antsy.

As in, a little part of my day for the last two days has been centered around periodically checking the mail.

Also, it would astound me if the game truly took two to three full weeks to arrive. Like, I would be shocked that the USPS's infrastructure and logistics are still that bad in 2011.

I'm on 12 days myself...I'm starting to lose a touch of my patience. I've imported before so I know how long it can take, but its getting tough with everyone's impressions in this thread.

wrowa said:
Uhm... who was
Xord
again? The person who
died in the intro?

Why am I even putting the latter part into a spoiler? Oh well.

Xord is never mentioned in the main storyline, but Désirée in Colony 9 tells you (after completing her quest) that her father 'died' during the Battle of Sword valley, use to own an engineer workshop called 'Xord's Smithy' and liked to "swing his hammer around".

The guy from the opening, Mumkhar, is Metal Face.

McNum

So I've started ding sidequests on purpose now. Wow, there are a lot of them. Started with Colony 9 and I've found and completed a lot of quests, yet it's still just level 1. Clearly, I'm missing some quests, got any hints on how to track more of those down?

Also, two shotting uniques for a quest is funny. Plus, I got my new favorite achievement: "What good are you, then?" You get it by
Winning a fight that the lead character didn't participate in.

Diablos54

So I just fought
Xord
at the
mines leading to Colony 6
, and I remember seeing that a few people had a problem with this battle, but I found it easy. I was around level 30 so I guess I must be a little overpowered? Too many sidequests! :D Either that or I haven't seen the last of him...

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm so happy that this game plays so well with Dolphin. After every 1-2 hours, I'll get audio crackling, but all it takes is a save state -> stop -> load state to fix it. Otherwise, perfect. The game looks gorgeous.

Varion

Diablos54 said:
So I just fought
Xord
at the
mines leading to Colony 6
, and I remember seeing that a few people had a problem with this battle, but I found it easy. I was around level 30 so I guess I must be a little overpowered? Too many sidequests! :D Either that or I haven't seen the last of him...
> Level 30 at that fight

Holy shit. The guideline for that fight is 25, I was about 28 and found it easy enough as it was, but 30? Yeah that's a lot of sidequests.

Couldn't play yesterday so trying to make up for it today, up to (L56-58+ area)
Mechonis Field. Such a great BGM. Shame we've seemingly done with the really pretty environments now though.

Rad-

TheExodu5 said:
I'm so happy that this game plays so well with Dolphin. After every 1-2 hours, I'll get audio crackling, but all it takes is a save state -> stop -> load state to fix it. Otherwise, perfect. The game looks gorgeous.

What kind of PC does it take to run this decently? My main problem with the game so far is the hardware it's running on. :/ Really takes away from the experience and I don't even generally consider myself a graphics whore.

If you are under leveled and have trouble beating any boss, use melia, dunban and sharla. When the boss is about to execute a powerful attack, time melia's foce topple skill to counter it. And with her wind element buff, dunban rarely takes any damage. she also has buffs that reduce physical and ether dmg.
Melia is the most useful and powerful char in the game, esp if you are 4+ levels below the enemy.

Top Bottom