• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

TheExodu5

Banned
Rad- said:
What kind of PC does it take to run this decently? My main problem with the game so far is the hardware it's running on. :/ Really takes away from the experience and I don't even generally consider myself a graphics whore.

I would reckon a 3.0GHz C2D at the very minimum. (though maybe a bit faster)

I'm running it on a 4.6GHz 2500K at the moment.

JerkShep

So basically there is only one main healer in the party? I have 6 members now (out of seven I think) and
I've yet to try Melia but from what I could see she isn't very good as the only healer (the regeneration spell is not enough with bosses/special monster).
So...
Shulk - damage dealer
Reys - tank
Sharla - healer
Dunban - dd/tank (I actually use him as tank with Shulk/Sharla)
Riki - ???
Melia - nuker

wrowa

For most of the game you don't actually need a dedicated healer. Mellia's buffs are more useful than Sharla's heal imo.

Alrus

And Shulk makes a decent healer if you level up his skill. Riki also has an okay healing skill.

Melia's healing skill is shitty but it has a really low cooldown at least. (Issue is the water spell really doesn't drain enough to compensate the lost HPs...)

Midou

JerkShep said:
So basically there is only one main healer in the party? I have 6 members now (out of seven I think) and
I've yet to try Melia but from what I could see she isn't very good as the only healer (the regeneration spell is not enough with bosses/special monster).
So...
Shulk - damage dealer
Reys - tank
Sharla - healer
Riki - ???
Melia - nuker

Healing doesn't seem that necessary most of the time. I usually get by alright with the 1 healing spell Melia and Shulk have.

Riki and Melia seem to contribute a lot more to the party than Sharla, I usually switch between them, I don't think the names should be spoilers since you pretty much get them as soon as you learn their names.

Diablos54

Varion said:
> Level 30 at that fight

Holy shit. The guideline for that fight is 25, I was about 28 and found it easy enough as it was, but 30? Yeah that's a lot of sidequests.
Ah, I had a feeling that was it. Thanks. I can't help it, it's just too addicting!

I like to use Sharla just to be safe in the knowledge that if my HP does get low then a powefull heal spell will be just around the corner.

I might try out Melia again
now that I've finally got her back
, but last time I did Dunban kept taking a beating.

wsippel

Banned
JerkShep said:
So...
Shulk - damage dealer
Reys - tank
Sharla - healer
Riki - ???
Melia - nuker
You usually don't need a real healer if you have Dunban tank, just use tons of agility gems. He's an evade tank, and since he rarely gets hit, Shulk's, Melia's and Riki's light healing skills are usually just fine.

Franchuzas87 said:
9594894.jpg

I began farming them at level 73, and in a really short time period, I got to level 75, which means I'm really overleveled for the story but who cares =D
I'll grind a bit more just for fun.

wsippel

Banned
InternHertz said:
I began farming them at level 73, and in a really short time period, I got to level 75, which means I'm really overleveled for the story but who cares =D
I'll grind a bit more just for fun.
I might be wrong, but I believe there's an endgame quest that won't even become available until you're at least level

ArchAngel

Played it for 40 hours now and there seems to be no end to it. Never did any sidequests until 30h in - never knew that you can teleport to every place you want if you choose the map by pressing X and not -.

cimg4903iu23.jpg

Finally had a chance to put some time into this. I thought I would like it and I really, really do. Game is pure awesome. I played for about 5 hours yesterday and didn't want to put it down. Well worth the cost of importing. Like a lot of others have done, I spent a bunch of that time doing side quests.

ArchAngel

Twilight Princess said:
How can you guys not know that theres a map under the main Manu ><

I knew it, but I didn't know that there is a difference between that one and the map on the minus-button :)
So I traveled from one map to the next slowly :/

wsippel said:
I might be wrong, but I believe there's an endgame quest that won't even become available until you're at least level

Well to do everything in the game you need to be max level anyway ^^
I don't know if I'm going to do those quests any time soon because in a few days/weeks they'll be loads of games I want to do.

What I do want however, is to finish the story and every timed quests and to be in a state where I can say "well the only things left to do in the game CAN be done, if I spend the time"

Currently at 103:48 btw ^^

syoaran

TheExodu5 said:
I would reckon a 3.0GHz C2D at the very minimum. (though maybe a bit faster)

I'm running it on a 4.6GHz 2500K at the moment.

Running this on a i5 2.8 clock at the moment, witha 470. Run's smoothly, but sometimes it crashes at the start of a boss fight and at times, the sound becomes garbled (a save, and then reload of Dolphin fixes it).

Excellent game, looking forward to playing it more when I get back from Deus Ex break

Dascu

Rad- said:
What kind of PC does it take to run this decently? My main problem with the game so far is the hardware it's running on. :/ Really takes away from the experience and I don't even generally consider myself a graphics whore.
My Phenom II X4 3Ghz quadcore is managing quite nicely. Mostly 100% speed, with occasional drops to 90-85% during some intense scenes or very large open areas (such as one particular city). These drops aren't rather frequent and sometimes not even noticeable unless you keep your eye on the FPS counter.

Ledsen

Twilight Princess said:
How can you guys not know that theres a map under the main Menu ><

Edit: thanks to iPad I can't spell correctly anymore

Blame Monolith for not putting a "switch area" button in the normal minus button map screen. Would've made so much sense.

CruxisMana said:
I'm really surprised by the number of people who didn't know about fast travel between main areas ;_;

Haha, I had just the opposite. I Always used the menu map and didn't know the first 15 hours that you can use - to get a quick area map :p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
McNum said:
So I've started ding sidequests on purpose now. Wow, there are a lot of them. Started with Colony 9 and I've found and completed a lot of quests, yet it's still just level 1. Clearly, I'm missing some quests, got any hints on how to track more of those down?

Also, two shotting uniques for a quest is funny. Plus, I got my new favorite achievement: "What good are you, then?" You get it by
Winning a fight that the lead character didn't participate in.
In my 100 plus playthrough on the JP version, i made it a mission to get cities to at least lvl 3. Dont do it now. It takes forever, and sometimes requires coming back late in the game to do high level quests.

Trust me. It takes FOREVER to get Colony 9 to 3.

McNum

thetrin said:
In my 100 plus playthrough on the JP version, i made it a mission to get cities to at least lvl 3. Dont do it now. It takes forever, and sometimes requires coming back late in the game to do high level quests.

Trust me. It takes FOREVER to get Colony 9 to 3.
I was aiming for 2, actually. Gonna head for Colony 6 next and do that thing you can do with it later in the game. How's that for not saying it outright? I want that to level 1 or 2 for that mobile gem furnace. Mmm... gems.

Can you see how close it is to leveling up in any way? I just get that single star floating upwards when I do a quest.

Ledsen

My colony 9 is actually lvl 4, but it took a lot of sidequests and talking to people. Currently lvl 33 in Makna.

edit: errrr wait are we talking about the number of stars in the affinity screen?

McNum

Ledsen said:
My colony 9 is actually lvl 4, but it took a lot of sidequests and talking to people. Currently lvl 33 in Makna.

edit: errrr wait are we talking about the number of stars in the affinity screen?
That's what I've been trying to improve, at least.

Embryon

Neo Member
Still nothing for me in Arizona. I ordered from TheHut and they shipped it on 8/15. So much for playing the game over the weekend. :(

Looks like I'll be makin' cozy with Devil Survivor OC and Dragon Quest VI.

i'd say the leg looks as good as pulse when its sunny. and then theres weather transition, day night transition etc. overall i prefer the leg.
i don't understand why gran pulse does not have real grass?

Jucksalbe

Banned
CruxisMana said:
Not really a spoiler, more curiosity about the game world.

Are any other Colonies mentioned in the game other than 6 and 9?
I think it's said in the beginning that
those are the only two colonies left
. Could be remembering it wrong, though.

McNum

Twilight Princess said:
i'd say the leg looks as good as pulse when its sunny. and then theres weather transition, day night transition etc. overall i prefer the leg.
i don't understand why gran pulse does not have real grass?
I was thinking the same thing, really. Xenoblade has areas that frankly make Gran Pulse look bad. Apart from the resolution, Xenoblade is easily the better looking game when it comes to open environments. Also that draw distance. It's like they've put in overlook points just to demonstrate that yes, you CAN see that thing all the way over there. Want to try and run to it? Go ahead!

Gvaz

Banned
PumpkinPie said:
The real game doesn't look washed out like the second shot, unless that screenshot is from the PS3 version with extra HD brown.
That's on an emulator. There is no washed out, that's what it looks like.

TheExodu5

Banned
PumpkinPie said:
The real game doesn't look washed out like the second shot, unless that screenshot is from the PS3 version with extra HD brown.

Depends entirely on your TV settings. When playing Wii games on Dolphin, I have a separate profile that I use to correct the colors. I think Dolphin is probably outputting limited RGB color space over full RGB, causing pretty severe compression. You need to take the limited RGB colors it outputs and expand them back out to full RGB...something like that. I wish there was an easy way to do so in Dolphin without having to resort to TV settings.

Anyways, this game. THIS GAME.

leg_night.png

leg_day.png

(colors corrected using GIMP...this is what it looks like on my TV)

Ledsen

So how accurate is the sound emulation in Dolphin? I know when I tried ePSXe, the music sounded nothing like the actual music in the game. But maybe Xenoblade just uses pre-recorded music and not midi?

Hazanko said:
What benefit does it give, having more stars for the cities?

I think you get more quests.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
CruxisMana said:
Not really a spoiler, more curiosity about the game world.

Are any other Colonies mentioned in the game other than 6 and 9?

I'm not sure if they are mentioned in the game or not. They are in the short story (the story occurs just before you head off to the final dungeon, and so has MAJOR spoilers, but part 0 should be safe to read (although not the section in brackets)):

http://dilly-shilly.blogspot.com/search/label/Xenoblade

I need to update this story to reflect the localization, but I can't play my copy yet :<

Top Bottom