• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Alex

Pulse has intensely higher geometry, texture res and shading, there's a massive difference in asset quality. What Pulse does not have though, is any decent attention to detail and fairly bland art direction, something that crept into everything I saw in XIV as well (which is hilarious considering XI's world direction was so much stronger.)

Xenoblade is probably the first Japanese open world game I've played that actually seems to know what it's doing, although it's side quests are all pretty disappointing and amazingly behind the curve. I almost wish they did use a level-scaling system because then they could at least be engaging in terms of combat and map filling and wouldn't turn me into an overpowered demigod by doing chores.

This game still isn't supply constrained at all right? I'm thinking about waiting until January to pick it up if that's the case in case it drops in price since I can't play my wii until then.

Jucksalbe said:
I think it's said in the beginning that
those are the only two colonies left
. Could be remembering it wrong, though.

I remember the game tells you that 6 and 9 are the only ones remaining, I meant more in the sense of whether the game ever tells you what happened to the others/where they were on Bionis.

Lissar said:
I'm not sure if they are mentioned in the game or not. They are in the short story (the story occurs just before you head off to the final dungeon, and so has MAJOR spoilers, but part 0 should be safe to read (although not the section in brackets)):

http://dilly-shilly.blogspot.com/search/label/Xenoblade

I need to update this story to reflect the localization, but I can't play my copy yet :<

Thanks! I'll stave off reading it just yet though, just in case.

JimboJones said:

I am sooooooo going to try this.

TheExodu5

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
This game still isn't supply constrained at all right? I'm thinking about waiting until January to pick it up if that's the case in case it drops in price since I can't play my wii until then.

It's out of stock in most places, currently.

Anyone else find the secret back entrance to Exile Fortress that let's you do the rescue quest by skipping the boss fight?
Hint: You need to find the key for the back door

I did :D God I love this game.

Sadist

Story spoiler after/during Prison Island

I just knew Fiora would be the Fem Mechon lol

But this game just keeps on giving.

TheExodu5

Banned
Alex said:
Pulse has intensely higher geometry, texture res and shading, there's a massive difference in asset quality. What Pulse does not have though, is any decent attention to detail and fairly bland art direction, something that crept into everything I saw in XIV as well (which is hilarious considering XI's world direction was so much stronger.)

Textures and geometry don't do much when the land feels completely lifeless. The addition of foliage and wind to Xenoblade makes it feel so much more alive than XIII ever did. The terrain in Xenoblade just feels so much more impressive. The Bionis Leg is just blowing me away at the moment. Stunning.

Gvaz

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
(colors corrected using GIMP...this is what it looks like on my TV)
Those look good but I can deal with the colors because
emot-effort.gif

Reknoc

Nuclear Muffin said:
Anyone else find the secret back entrance to Exile Fortress that let's you do the rescue quest by skipping the boss fight?

I couldn't find it when I did the first quest in there, in fact I found the key the cuddly Nopon told me about after I did it. Didn't bother with the boss though, just drew his guards over to me and wiped them out.

Did use it for the other quests that take place there though.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Sadist said:

I think everyone that didn't sleep through the cutscenes should have figured out most of what happened there in the first few hours of the game. I'm just glad most of the obvious stuff is out of the way now (just passed that same area an hour ago).

TheExodu5

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is there supposed to be more or just one printing? I'll pick it up now if it's going to be hard to find.

Seems like they're expecting more within a few days, I think. I'm not sure with NoE's history is with print runs.

Boken said:
How is this game with just a nunchuk and wiimote?

That's actually the best control scheme. Unlike the CC Pro, you can use art moves while moving at the same time (which is invaluable in this game!)

Since you have to lift your thumb off the analog stick to reach the D-pad on the CC/CCPro, you have to stop moving before you attack.

Plus even ignoring that, the Wiimote/Nunchuck is more comfortable anyway and it's easier to move the camera while fighting than the CC Pro as well.

Sadist said:

But this game just keeps on giving.

Jucksalbe said:
I think everyone that didn't sleep through the cutscenes should have figured out most of what happened there in the first few hours of the game. I'm just glad most of the obvious stuff is out of the way now (just passed that same area an hour ago).

The game doesn't exactly shy away from the fact that the Faces have Hom operators/souls, especially in retrospect. It's quite clear that Silver Face has an operator inside her from one of Shulk's early visions and you can find out Xord's history from quite early on in the game. Metal Face's being Mumkhar is, in retrospect, quite obvious as well since they both use the same 'weapons' and the voices are similar.

Sennorin

Banned
Wow, I really have to remind myself to save more often. Just finished playing and, well, didn´t save for over 2 hours. Nothing happened, but that´s a recipe for future frustration :D

Btw. anyone know there that unique monster Jerome is? It´s supposed to be on reef 5 in the
Eryth sea
-area. I´m there, but can´t find it. Maybe wrong day time? What does it look like?

Just got my copy from GAME..

It arrived yesterday, but I got home after the apartment office was closed.. so I couldn't pick it up until today.

IyQse.jpg

I'm in florida, btw.

It's a shame Reyn gets outclassed by other party members because I love his battle quotes.

I'm running around with Reyn/Sharla/Melia doing quests in lower level areas and that combo has my favourite bit of banter so far. Not the exact quote but the gist of it is like this.

Reyn - 'See, Brawn is better than Brains'
Sharla - 'Oh I'm not having that'
Melia - 'In the head, shoot him in the head'
Reyn - 'What?!'

Alrus

Reknoc said:
I couldn't find it when I did the first quest in there, in fact I found the key the cuddly Nopon told me about after I did it. Didn't bother with the boss though, just drew his guards over to me and wiped them out.

Yeah for some reason the boss isn't linked to his guards, so you don't have to fight him with all the other mobs at once (and thank god for that, that boss was a real bitch to beat when I tried).

Sennorin said:
Wow, I really have to remind myself to save more often. Just finished playing and, well, didn´t save for over 2 hours. Nothing happened, but that´s a recipe for future frustration :D

Btw. anyone know there that unique monster Jerome is? It´s supposed to be on reef 5 in the
Eryth sea
-area. I´m there, but can´t find it. Maybe wrong day time? What does it look like?

Some of the floating reefs have sea level reefs below if you fall through the middle of them. It might be down there.

Alrus

Sennorin said:

Eryth sea

You have to jump down the middle of the floating reef, it'll be there when it's not raining.

Yuterald

Played this for 8 hours yesterday, lol! It's impossible to put down. There isn't much else to be said since most have already covered what is so glorious about this game. I will reiterate the fact that it is ABSOLUTELY INSANE we did not get this game in NA. Now that I'm actually playing the game it's completely crazy town that NOA wouldn't bring this over, for whatever reason!

By the way, did anyone else immediately think about Xenogears when you picked up that collectible wedding ring behind Dunban's house in Colony 9? It's like Midori's Ring behind Citan's house. Probably just coincidental, but it's the first thing that came to mind when I picked it up! =)

Kjellson

I have a question about trading. I heard that you can get Fossil Monkey from a Nopon called Rasha, but you have to have a good item to trade it for. Does the item only appear on the list when you have an item that's good enough or something?

Kjellson said:
I have a question about trading. I heard that you can get Fossil Monkey from a Nopon called Rasha, but you have to have a good item to trade it for. Does the item only appear on the list when you have an item that's good enough or something?
it doesnt. she throws it in as a bonus

Diffense

I'm at level 26.
Just went
through the Ether mines and can go on to Satorl Marsh
but I'll be going back to do more sidequests.

This game is amazing and so satisfying to play its easy to lose track of time.
The world's combination of scale and detail would be overwhelming if weren't so fun.
Huge scale and minute detail applies not only to the world geography but also to game mechanics.
There's a ton of optional tasks that you could get sucked into for hours only to scratch the surface.

For example, while many quests have simple contexts others have deeper meaning within the lives of the townsfolk.
As you get these quests, uncovering all of the subplots becomes a meta-quest in itself.
The depth that exists in that aspect of the game caught me completely by surprise.
I pissed away several hours in the first area because of that and I'm nowhere near done.

But the designers wisely made it all optional so you never feel buried in extra tasks.
You can do them whenever you feel like taking a break from advancing the main storyline
(and there's a story memo to remind you of your next goal in case you get distracted for an extended time).

Anyway, as hyped as I was, Xenoblade Chronicles is exceeding my exceptations.
If you have a Wii, like these kinds of games, and you were on the fence about Xenoblade Chronicles, just get off and get it.
This game has made large strides towards redeeming the Wii in my eyes.
If I didn't have to jump through hoops to play it all would be (almost) forgiven.
[Crazy NOA is crazy]

Laekon

I'm from the US but will be in Zurich next week. I take it there is just one version in Europe and it has English voice acting? I hope I can find a copy.

Nuclear Muffin said:

I waltzed right through the front door and no-one batted an eyelid as I talked with the hostage and then subsequently left out the back door I was supposed to go through ^_^

I've been overlevelled for a while because of the side-quests, so I'm just endlessly walking past all the enemies and not fighting until they start to catch up :p

BTW, I know it's been mentioned 1000 times by now, but Reyn is fucking boss! Just felt like saying that, hope he becomes a meme
ha ha, in your face!

[Nintex]

Sidequesting is pretty awesome, I'm just strolling around, collecting those lights and items and stuff and then bam a level 77 dino in my face
2iag22g.gif

Sadist

Nuclear Muffin said:
BTW, I know it's been mentioned 1000 times by now, but Reyn is fucking boss! Just felt like saying that, hope he becomes a meme
ha ha, in your face!
We already have Reyn Time :p

MicH

Kandinsky said:
I was playing Smash Bros with my kids and man cant wait for the inevitable Xenoblade stage on the Wii U one.
You just blew my mind. I keep forgetting about the fact that a Smash Bros for Wii U has been announced.

Top Bottom