• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Alrus

SecretMoblin said:
Question about a quest in the forest area:

Can I trade with any of the Nopon for Venomous Lizards? Because I'm having a very difficult time finding them around the forest.

Yes one Nopon trade them, I can't remember which one to be honest :/ They're not supposed to be rare though. (I still haven't found a single bitter kiwi...)

Diablos54 said:
Holy shit, I just got to
Satori Marsh
and was thinking it looks a little bland. And then it turns to night! :D

From the sounds of things I was the only person who first got there during the night, so the area only got blander as I progressed further.

:lol

Drkirby said:
So, the purple 'U' items, can anyone tell me more about them? Does the U stand for Unique? Other then having Gems already embedded in them, do they differ from their normal counter parts in any way? Any way to take the Gems out?

From what I know, they're just unique in that they already have a gem placed in them that can't be removed.

Normally they have lower stats than regular equipment, but with the advantage of having a special gem ability.

Drkirby said:
So, the purple 'U' items, can anyone tell me more about them? Does the U stand for Unique? Other then having Gems already embedded in them, do they differ from their normal counter parts in any way? Any way to take the Gems out?
The reason they're unique is because you can't take the gems out of them. Other than that, they aren't "unique" in the sense that there's only one of them. So feel free to sell away anything you don't need.

Alrus said:
Yes one Nopon trade them, I can't remember which one to be honest :/ They're not supposed to be rare though. (I still haven't found a single bitter kiwi...)
Thanks. I'll go searching then.

Reknoc

CruxisMana said:
From the sounds of things I was the only person who first got there during the night, so the area only got blander as I progressed further.

I got there at night as well, but everything looked like it was out to ruin my day so I decided to timeskip. Wasn't happy.

Zafir

CruxisMana said:

I got there during the night as well. I'd already been spoiled due to screenshots in this thread though. xD

Zafir

Well, if it's any consolation. I wasn't a fan of XII, but I do like Xenoblade. That said, the main reason I didn't like it was the combat, and Xenoblade has a rather different battle system.

Kandinsky said:
I was playing Smash Bros with my kids and man cant wait for the inevitable Xenoblade stage on the Wii U one.
I'm looking forward to playable Shulk. Monado Arts, British dub, and NoA trolling from Sakurai to the MAX. :sogood:

Currently at 108:14...

I decided to advance the story and...HOLY SHIT ISN'T IT EPIC!
I'm really near the final boss I'd say, should be two areas according to what was said in the story event.

And also yay for hidden areas in the end game, got 150.000xp each when I found two of them. It means I went from end of level 76 to the half of level 77 in less than five minutes :D

Oh and for the key to the warehouse in Tephra Caves
So I've finally found out where it is, and it is right in front of me but I can't get it! Guarded by a named level 97 and countless minions...not looking good there. I shall return one day at level 99 or so ><

god damn, i dont have enough money to rebuild colony 6.
a note, if you are worried that you cant get back to previous maps for items, you can collect them all in colony 6.

Twilight Princess said:
god damn, i dont have enough money to rebuild colony 6.
a note, if you are worried that you cant get back to previous maps for items, you can collect them all in colony 6.

I have almost 4 million...I don't know how to use it all up. Will carry this in an eventual new game +

Sennorin

Banned
Drkirby said:
Oh my god, the Flash Backs have the correct equipment on the characters.

You sure? I thought that wasn´t the case, but I´ll pay more attention during the next flashback, if there is another. But if you´re right, that´s just another detail of Xenoblade´s awesomeness. :>

I think I may put the game aside until some decent FAQs start to pop up. Trying to track down particular monsters or get uniques to spawn properly is getting fairly tedious.

finalozzo said:
mh, i'm going to skip all the sidequest, the main should be enough.

Just be aware that you might need to grind in this scenario. It gets very difficult to take on enemies 5+ levels higher than you because of a hidden accuracy stat, and you don't get the chance to to affect that significantly until later in the game.

SecretMoblin said:
Just be aware that you might need to grind in this scenario. It gets very difficult to take on enemies 5+ levels higher than you because of a hidden accuracy stat, and you don't get the chance to to affect that significantly until later in the game.

But you can level by fithing ennemies on the field, right ?

JonStark said:
But you can level by fithing ennemies on the field, right ?

Yeah. Back and forth, back and forth.

Actually, I kind of found a cheap way to be wayyyyyyy overleveled by the time I got to the forest area:

I did as many sidequests as I could, which got me to around level 28 or so. I then went to the Gaur Plains and killed those giant level 32 turtles that hang around in the middle of the Plains under land bridges. They were pretty easy to kill and dumped a ton of EXP and overpowered loot. Save, reload, rinse, repeat. Then when I got to a high enough level, around 37-38, I went back to Colony 9 and killed the level 40 giant frog in the cave as well as the spider and two brogs in the cave by Outlook Park. It got me to level 45 before I even got to the Ether Mines.

Zafir

Yeah, you can, but if you're doing that, you may as well be questing.

It's annoying really, it sort of indirectly forces you to do atleast some sidequests.

Oh, and also for anyone who wants a tip: when you kill an enemy during a chain attack, you get more points (at least EXP and AP, I don't know if you get more SP). So if you kill a higher-leveled unique with a chain attack you can rack up a massive amount of EXP very quickly.

Edit:
Durante said:
That was the single most impressing thing about the game so far.
WHAT??!?!

squall23

finalozzo said:
mh, i'm going to skip all the sidequest, the main should be enough.
You miss out on some important and awesome stuff such as
hidden Monado skills like Monado Eater and Monado Armor

McNum

squall23 said:
You miss out on some important and awesome stuff such as
hidden Monado skills like Monado Eater and Monado Armor
That sounds awesome, can you give a hint to where you get those? More
Monado powers
is a good thing.

squall23

McNum said:
That sounds awesome, can you give a hint to where you get those? More
Monado powers
is a good thing.
One is the reward in a chain of quests in Frontier Village and the other is a quest reward in the Machina Village.

Phenomic

So I have a question about one of the playable characters.

Melia. Just picked her up in the Forest and was trying to use her because I was like Yay magic. However, I feel like she just buffs herself with spells and then nothing happens. She just kind of stands there and doesn't have any nukes or anything fun it seems. Is there a way to get her to use the orbs that float around on her shoulders?

Maybe I just don't understand how it works. Can someone explain?

KarmaCow

Phenomic said:

Melia. Just picked her up in the Forest and was trying to use her because I was like Yay magic. However, I feel like she just buffs herself with spells and then nothing happens. She just kind of stands there and doesn't have any nukes or anything fun it seems. Is there a way to get her to use the orbs that float around on her shoulders?

I haven't used
Melia that much but from what I understand, you use those skills to basically summon charges/buffs, then when your talent gauge fills, you can then unleash attacks using those charges/buffs. I'm not sure about the filling talent gauge stuff I skipped through her tutorial and haven't actually played as her.

Sennorin

Banned
Random question about one of the later Monado techs:
Is there a kind of enemy that becomes easier to fight by using the tech that Alvis taught you against the Telethia´s clones? I haven´t had to use it since then.

KarmaCow

Sennorin said:
Random question about one of the later Monado techs:
Is there a kind of enemy that becomes easier to fight by using the tech that Alvis taught you against the Telethia´s clones? I haven´t had to use it since then.

Later on
some (most?, all?) enemies will have auras that you can disable. Most are in the form of spike damage which you might have seen from gems or armour. If you haven't, it's just small damage you take when you hit or debuff enemies.

Phenomic said:

I had a lot of trouble with that too, based on a lack of understanding of her poor tutorial:

There are several buff spells she has. You summon them, and a little colored orb appears above your head. You can summon up to three buffs at a time, and then when you use the Talent Art in the middle she dismisses the summons and attacks with them in reverse order.

So there's something very important I missed at first: the buffs stop once you dismiss the spell. So if you want Agility Up, for example, you summon wind and make sure you're close enough to your teammates so they are affected by the buff. You can summon up to two more (or not), but if/when you want to attack you use the Talent Art in the middle and she will dismiss the summon, attacking the enemy. The buffs do not last as long as they are above her head, though; they stop after a while, which is noted on your Arts screen (where you manage the arts and level them up).

As you dismiss summons, her Talent Arts gauge will fill up. When it fills all the way, she will start glowing and her spells will become stronger.

My technique for using her:
1. At the start of battle, summon wind for Agility Up, which I consider most important.
2. Summon fire for strength up.
3. Summon electricity for ether up.
4. Use the spear/knee combo to topple the enemy.
5. By now, the agility buff might be close to wearing off, so I start dismissing the three buffs one by one. Agility is dismissed last, because I summoned it first.
6. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I use chain attacks to refill my summons and get some hits in. On harder enemies, I prioritize toppling the enemy whenever my arts refill.

RPGCrazied

I'm hoping by mid of next week I'll have this! That will be close to 3weeks, surely that should be plenty of time. Although the hurricane blowing through, might have affected some of the shipping time. Airports are closing.

totowhoa

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
I'm hoping by mid of next week I'll have this! That will be close to 3weeks, surely that should be plenty of time. Although the hurricane blowing through, might have affected some of the shipping time. Airports are closing.

It's good to hope for things :p I'm glad I researched retailers before making my purchase at any rate. Hope it comes soon though :) Zavvi seemed like a really slow retailer to go through, but they were also the cheapest (you get what you pay for).

RPGCrazied

Sklorenz said:
It's good to hope for things :p I'm glad I researched retailers before making my purchase at any rate. Hope it comes soon though :) Zavvi seemed like a really slow retailer to go through, but they were also the cheapest (you get what you pay for).

Yeah. First time importing anything. I didn't know what sites were the fastest and all that. I'm guessing GAME is, seems to get the game to US customers within a week, give or take a day or 2. If I have to import Last Story, it definitely won't be through Zavvi. Either GAME or Shopto.

Anyone in thehut group I'll be passing on.

Let me in

Zafir said:
Well, if it's any consolation. I wasn't a fan of XII, but I do like Xenoblade. That said, the main reason I didn't like it was the combat, and Xenoblade has a rather different battle system.
The key difference being that it's a requirement to remain actively engaged in battle in Xenoblade, which I do like quite a bit. It's proactive rather than reactive.

I have to say the quest system is really fantastic. It's a nice way to break up the pace of the story. Before moving on to a totally new area, I like to go back to Colony 9 or some of the other earlier areas and check out the new quests that are available and spend some time doing that. Once I am bored with that, I can teleport right to where I left off and move on. Excellent. I think that's a big improvement over XII's system (and other RPGs), which required a lot of time-consuming backtracking.

Oh an Rahx, sorry if I misinterpreted. I was remembering some discussion in a XIII thread, which often invites vigorous debate ;)

Let me in said:
The key difference being that it's a requirement to remain actively engaged in battle in Xenoblade, which I do like quite a bit. It's proactive rather than reactive.

Well, not necessarily. If the enemies are weak enough you can just auto-attack them to death.

But for enemies at or above your level, yeah, you need to have a good game plan and a trigger finger.

bubnbob

Banned
i was at the final boss but apparently iwas so weak, i couldnt hit him for shit. was aggrivating...

protip: be at least 80 at the end of the game. yes. 80. take your time!

Varion

Question of mild interest to the few who've beaten or at least come close to beating the English version. Not a huge spoiler or anything, just regarding enemy names:

Did they keep the bizarre NUMBER - RANDOM WORD naming pattern for the enemies in Mechonis Field and the following area? Or did they rename them? Some of them in the Japanese version are just hilariously bizarre. Some of my favourites so far:

Type-38 ESSAY
Type-76 MOIST
Defensive-Type ONION

Almost look forward to new enemies appearing just to see what weirdly inappropriate word they'll use next.

Luigiv

RPGCrazied said:
It should already be in your country by now. It just takes time for the postal services to sort through everything, put it through customs, etcetera and your package just so happens to be the lowest of the low priority. Just be glad it's shipping from the UK and not Hong Kong or it would be stuck in customs for a month.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm still waiting for my copy too, which somewhat annoyed me because yesterday was my birthday and I was hoping to be playing it by then. Well not that it really mattered anyway. Good company and whiskey > videogames any day.

RPGCrazied

Luigiv said:
It should already be in your country by now. It just takes time for the postal services to sort through everything, put it through customs, etcetera and your package just so happens to be the lowest of the low priority. Just be glad it's shipping from the UK and not Hong Kong or it would be stuck in customs for a month.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm still waiting for my copy too, which somewhat annoyed me because yesterday was my birthday and I was hoping to be playing it by then. Well not that it really mattered anyway. Good company and whiskey > videogames any day.

Who did you order from? Never will be that way, cause I don't know Japanese/Chinese or any of those languages. Happy Birthday!

Top Bottom