• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Chaos said:
Anyone know how the heart to hearts work ?
Only seen the first one and every other one I don't meet the requirements.

If you don't have the character that they relate to yet, then it says you don't meet the requirements.

^beaten.

^ When you get those new characters IIRC, the in-game list will update the details for any that you've gone over to and selected view on.

bubnbob said:
When does this play? I don't recall hearing it anywhere?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeW_ycTXtVY&feature=related
There is at least one unused track on the OST. Disc 2 track 6 (Hope) for sure.

That one might be too. One way to figure it out is to look at the music directory (or whatever it'll be called) of the game and see if it is in there, which I'll be doing when I'm done with the game.

Duderz

Banned
Quick question regarding Colony 6 sidequests.

Is it all right to send the people back to Colony 6 even though I haven't done all the timed sidequests yet, or should I finish those first then talk to Juju and send them back?

I'm about 22 hours in, and this game is so good.

Hi2u

Banned
I just can't seem to grasp the whole bit in the battle system where you see an enemies move that will happen. How do you block/counter these? It's confusing.

bubnbob

Banned
Hi2u said:
I just can't seem to grasp the whole bit in the battle system where you see an enemies move that will happen. How do you block/counter these? It's confusing.

Some you simply cannot block/counter. The idea is that, you might want to divert an attack to your tank to soak the damage. You can also break/topple them. You can also cast Monado Shield.

Change the future. Do not be directed by fate... walk your own path

TDLink

Hi2u said:

You can consume a bar of your Party Meter by hitting B next to an ally and then using one of their moves. For example, you could maybe warn Sharla and then command her to heal you so as to avoid dying from too much damage. Basically the warning gives you time to either get the enemy to change targets, heal for more than the damage, shield against the damage, or possibly topple/daze the enemy.

Hi2u said:

the visions are premonitions. most of the time you can adequatley prepare by using Shulks "Shield" Art in order to form a protective shell around you and your party. As long as the enemies attack level is the same level as the the Shield Art you will suffer less damage. Of course, youre going to have to utilize the Art and prep yourself and party before that white bar depletes (enemy attack timer) at the top of the screen

wsippel

Banned
Hi2u said:
There are several ways to counter a vision. If it's a talent art (white text), you can counter it using Monado Shield. If it's a physical attack, use Monado Speed. If it's something else, use Monado Armour. Those are the straight forward solutions. You can also counter any vision using a break->topple->daze combo. Other than that, you can try to redirect enemy aggro, heal the expected target or use Sharla's shield art - there is no single correct way.

Yuterald

Levels in the 40s with about 45 some hours logged. I am only in Makna Forest currently being overwhelmed with endless quests in the giant tree. This game is so ridiculously addictive. It's impossible, for me anyway, to proceed with the story without checking out all the side stuff first. The game is just too constantly rewarding to rush through.

The Skill system in this game is so good too. I cannot stress the fact how great the battle system is because of the differentiation between the characters. Each character's Skill Tree is so unique. Skill Linking is really awesome too. There is so much customization opportunity between a character's default skills and the ones you can link from others. I also LOVE how there is basically a limit to how many skills you can link from a character. This way when everyone is maxed out in the end the characters are still differentiated because you can only equip up to 5 skills from other party members (granted you have enough Affinity Coints). It's so beyond perfect.

Oh, and Gaur Plains during a thunderstorm and the Makna Forest waterfalls are just...so...beautiful.

Please bear with me for a second.

F*CK YEAH I JUST BEAT THE ULTIMATE BOSS LV120 OMG

Fucking epic battle, and strangely soooooo easy with the right gems, skills and more importantly strategy. I'm so happy :D

But now I still have the 3 other bosses ;)

bubnbob

Banned
InternHertz said:
Please bear with me for a second.

F*CK YEAH I JUST BEAT THE ULTIMATE BOSS LV120 OMG

Fucking epic battle, and strangely soooooo easy with the right gems, skills and more importantly strategy. I'm so happy :D

But now I still have the 3 other bosses ;)

What do you get for beating it? I only saw the J-video so obv I dont know what you get.

LaneDS

How far along is (level 35-40ish area)
Prison Island
in the main story? I just passed the fifty hour marker and am wondering how much is left after that area.

bubnbob said:
What do you get for beating it? I only saw the J-video so obv I dont know what you get.
Well obviously it's randomized, but you get at least either demonic everflame or veritas glyph, a rank V crystal with Daze Up and Daze Plus, and some gear like the Glory set.

And of course its Affinity Coin ^^

LaneDS said:
How far along is (level 35-40ish area)
Prison Island
in the main story? I just passed the fifty hour marker and am wondering how much is left after that area.

50%ish if you've completed it.

bubnbob

Banned
InternHertz said:
Well obviously it's randomized, but you get at least either demonic everflame or veritas glyph, a rank V crystal with Daze Up and Daze Plus, and some gear like the Glory set.

And of course its Affinity Coin ^^

Are there any pics of the best getup you can find? I suppose the Glory set, since that drops from this guy.

McNum

Well that was an interesting twist. (Level 50-55 story spoiler, BIG story spoiler)
Yay! Got Fiora back! Huh, she's a robot now? That raises a lot of questions, some I doubt I should ask. Still, Fiora's back, and that's nice. Got the team back together, too, all seven of us. And where am I now? Well, let's just say the game lent me a hand. Then I met the Machina. "We are the Machina, the people of Mechonis." On that bombshell, it's time to take a break for today.

So how long do I have left, storywise? I'd guess I'm at the 70-75% mark, but I'm not sure.

bubnbob

Banned
McNum said:
Well that was an interesting twist.

So how long do I have left, storywise? I'd guess I'm at the 70-75% mark, but I'm not sure.

75% is about right. There's still more bombshells to come.

beje

Banned
I can't believe an NPC spoiled like half of the game for me. Now I know where do faced Mechons come from probably dozens of hours before it's unveiled through the story.

BIG SPOILERS!
Yes, that stupid Desiree mentioned her father in a random not-mission related conversation, who disappeared the previous year and ta-da! He was exactly the same name as the faced Mechon I just battled a couple of hours before in the Ether mines and that talked something about the "conversion proccess" or something like that. Now I'm sure I will have to battle Gadolt and Fiora mechons somewhere down the line

Diffense

Well, I'm about
hours in at level 45 and the next area I'm supposed to tackle is S
word Valley
But HUGE chunks of the last three areas remain unexplored and several quests remain to be done.
So as much as I want to know what will happen next, I am taking a break from advancing the main story to focus on loose ends.
It's amazing that I already have so many gameplay hours while not being completely thorough.

In other news, that lizard in Mag Mell STILL hasn't respawned for me to complete the quest while several uniques I beat after him have,.
At this point, I feel like I've stumbled on a bug that'll make it impossible to get 100% but I'll keep checking.

bubnbob said:
Are there any pics of the best getup you can find? I suppose the Glory set, since that drops from this guy.
The Glory set doesn't drop exclusively on him, he's but one of the monster that you can get them from.
It's really a matter of taste if you consider this the best getup or not, it's exclusively a U set, and thus you can't choose the gems to put on it. Of course what is on the parts is really good but you can get better gems with crafting, though the stats are quite good.

I used the Lancelot set (except for Glory gauntlets that come with Haste 45%), slightly worse stats but it's a S set so I can choose whatever gems I want.

So if you want pictures of them, there one of the Japanese wikis I use that has them :
http://xenobladedata.web.fc2.com/data/equip_list.html
Just search for ランスロット (Lancelot) or グローリー (Glory) and click on the name. SPOILERS obviously for anyone not far enough in the game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Mentioned it in another thread, forgot to mention it here. If you got a 120Hz/200Hz capable TruMotion/MotionFlow whatever TV, try turning that setting on. Usually it looks horrible on any game but it makes Xenoblade run super smooth on my TV. I also dont notice any input lag (yes, I know, there probably is some lag but I seriously never thought about the game "lagging"). Doesnt cost anything, try it if your TV can do it, maybe its improving for you too.

Just thought I'd mention it because of another Gaffer who had the same with Xenoblade on his TV.

McNum

bubnbob said:
75% is about right. There's still more bombshells to come.
Wonderful, the game keeps surprising me with the story, and here I thought I had it figured out. It even makes be guess wrong about the details of things I knew was going to happen. Either I'm getting rusty at that, or the game is good at misdirection. Which, considering that the protagonist
can see into the future and major plot points are shown hours in advance
is a very impressive feat. I had guessed that
the vision where you see Fiora's mech fall into the abyss, you'd have pulled her out of it before it fell, so yes, her mech would fall, but she wouldn't.
I was wrong.
I did not expect Shulk to dive after it with a busted Monado, sharply followed by an exploding fortress. Shulk's mad some times.

Looking over the arts of
Fiora, I can't remember exactly what her deal is. She looks a lot like Shulk in arts, as in get the enemy to turn away from her and they're in trouble, but what's this with drones now? I'm having a little trouble figuring her into a team, but I'll give it a few shots. I think she'll be great at big single targets.

Ah, well. Enough Xenoblade for today. You know, I still wonder why the game is called "Xenoblade", I mean I get that it's to look like it's related to the other Xeno games, but does that word ever come up in the game?

NeededSleep

I'm currently adventuring in the swamp, taking my time and loving it. My god this game is so damn amazing and impressive. Im still so blown away at how great this game is, and how everything else I've played on the wii up till now has been mediocre.

This game along with Demon Souls as of now are the best thing ive ever seen this generation to come to consoles.

NOA you still boggle the shit out of me. Give this game some advertising and bring it state side so many people need to experience this game.

Phenomic

McNum said:
Ah, well. Enough Xenoblade for today. You know, I still wonder why the game is called "Xenoblade", I mean I get that it's to look like it's related to the other Xeno games, but does that word ever come up in the game?

I think it was talked about when they announced the name I honestly don't remember much, but it was pretty much just paying homage to his older works and blade obviously references the Monado.

Finalow

InternHertz said:
Kouli put up some videos of the Elite Four (Marcus is a pussy so I'm not counting him as Elite), you can watch them on his youtube account:

LV120 http://www.youtube.com/SnKouli#p/u/0/oIc7BKH0y6I
LV114 http://www.youtube.com/SnKouli#p/u/1/bpeGi6dtj8Q
LV108 http://www.youtube.com/SnKouli#p/u/2/DXBmnOK26nQ
LV105 http://www.youtube.com/SnKouli#p/u/3/8gIbIrrdXNw

On my side, I'll retry LV120 tonight after some tweaking, because it's the first time tonight I was even close to beat him and my defeat is hard to swallow.
nice, thanks man.

Gvaz

Banned
The Int3rsect said:
So how many of us are playing this on Dolphin?
Me! I'd play it on my wii but it's not connected right now (still in a box along with my 360 and ps3 since I moved) and it looks and runs great on my pc.
DMPrince said:
i've tried on my pc now. it looked good until i started moving or entered battle lol. new pc should be an improvement.
Did you try my settings in the dolphin thread? Make sure you do that lots of people have success with it.

Varion

Finally finished maxing out everyone's affinities. God my thumb hurts.

Next up, getting those last 8 remaining arts manuals.

McNum said:

People keep saying that the name doesn't make sense, but I think it does in a fairly obvious way:

The Monado is a blade.

The Monado is of foreign origin.

Hence, Xenoblade.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Finished the game! :)
Took me
hours and Shulk was at level
at the end. Overall a good game with many flaws. I enjoyed it quite a lot (wouldn't have played for so long otherwise anyway), but there are large stretches where the game feels like a chore.
Also, the story reminded me so much of
any PSX era RPG
, it's probably
the only retro thing about the game

Smo21

xtrasauce said:
People keep saying that the name doesn't make sense, but I think it does in a fairly obvious way:

The Monado is a blade.

Hence, Xenoblade.

:headexplodinggif

Luigiv

xtrasauce said:

The Monado is a blade.

Hence, Xenoblade.
Pretty much what I was thinking though couldn't be bothered posting.

So I found some people in the Residential District looking at a weird light moving around on the surface of the water at night, but when I jump in to take a closer look, it disappears.

Any help?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Man, I don't know why some guys earlier said
Sharla
was unnecessary... I took on a level 53 unique monster on
Galahad Fortress
and a bunch of annoying goddamn critters with a team of level 50 characters.... Tried it with
Melia-Shulk-Dunban
but to no avail.... and then, presto! With Sharla, the fight became much more manageable.

General roaming around the world:
Melia-Shulk-Dunban
. For everything else,
Shulk-Dunban-Sharla

From the looks of things, however, it seems like
Fiora
is going to join. Don't know about her yet.... if she's good enough then maybe.....

Just noticed
Riki
has an upward of 7000-ish HP! Sort of surprised while everyone else except Reyn were on 3000-3500 range on similar levels. Is he a good character...? I dislike using 'mascot'-type characters though :\ In fact, it would be much better if he did not tagging along with the party...., ah well.

So what part is your ultimate team, GAF, and how do you guys set them up?

Gvaz

Banned
You know, maybe I should just stop reading spoilers. I kind of figured that would come up after the whole Xord incident and
desiree saying her dad was named xord and he "died" a year ago in the mechon battle thing

Next thing you know I'll find out that what's his face that died in the beginning
is actually metal face
:|

Top Bottom