• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

just entered
Satori Marsh
, 27 hours in. Place looks beautiful, expecially at night and immense

the last battle with
Xord, creepiest voice ever
was damn epic, and I shitted my pants when
, once we got out, a PLATOON of gigantic Xord-like mechons lead by Metal face
greeted my party. I couldnt possibly believe the devs would actually make me battle that bloody impossible swarm

Man, the cutscenes are SO well directed

LProtag

I pushed through for a while to finally get some story progression and suddenly I'm in an area where all the monsters are around my level and some are even higher. It's kinda fun.

Anyway I'm at the point where I have most of the party available to use. What's a good setup?
Just got Riki and I'm going to fight the bird thing, 'dinobeast' or whatever. I've been using Shulk, Dunban and Sharla but I haven't really had a chance to try out Melia or Riki yet, I'm thinking maybe take out Sharla and put in Melia? Will she have enough healing to take Sharla's spot?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Xenoblade is awesome in a lot of ways, but the constant barrage of collect this collect that sidequests is getting really tiresome.

Well I suppose everything can get tiresome after playing it so many hours straight.

Laughing Banana said:
Xenoblade is awesome in a lot of ways, but the constant barrage of collect this collect that sidequests is getting really tiresome.

Well I suppose everything can get tiresome after playing it so many hours straight.
At first that was annoying to me, but now it's considerably more annoying to run around looking for people to give me quests. I'd rather actually be doing something than just fiddling with the clock while covering the entire, massive areas multiple times.

Still love it though, obviously.

SecretMoblin said:
At first that was annoying to me, but now it's considerably more annoying to run around looking for people to give me quests. I'd rather actually be doing something than just fiddling with the clock while covering the entire, massive areas multiple times.

Then don't look for quests! I accept all the ones I run across and fulfill them when I feel like or by accident in the normal course of exploring, but I don't get obsessive about it and I feel that makes for a better experience.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Then don't look for quests! I accept all the ones I run across and fulfill them when I feel like or by accident in the normal course of exploring, but I don't get obsessive about it and I feel that makes for a better experience.
But... But.... the compulsion... it consumes me...

Honestly, though, it really is a very minor complaint. I keep discovering these quests that end up turning into giant quest chains with several elements that require me to go back to earlier points in the game. It's kind of insane to go back to Colony 9 and remember how immense and amazing it seemed when I started out.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
JumpingTheGun said:
Looking for an Officer Volff and some Mist Roghuls if anyone can throw me a bone here...

Look on the Satorl Marsh during daylight. Officer Volff is accompanied only by one other Volff. Mist Roghuls is during daylight as well, if my memory serves me correctly.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
SecretMoblin said:

It's incredibly annoying to scour large areas especially those that are multi-levels like Frontier Village or Valak Mountain... the latter especially since one slip-up can cause you to fall down, get killed, and sent to the closest Landmark... which oftentimes are not close at all :\

It's just one complaint, yea. Well that, and the weird character faces... even Xenosaga series has better faces than this one... sort of disappointing. Also, the way Shulk's body (and everyone else I suppose but he is the one most noticeable) sort of 'bends' on his character models (apparent during talking scenes) is bugging me as well.

It's like this...

0 --> his head
| --> his body
\ ---> his hip
|

Laughing Banana said:
It's just one complaint, yea. Well that, and the weird character faces... even Xenosaga series has better faces than this one... sort of disappointing. Also, the way Shulk's body (and everyone else I suppose but he is the one most noticeable) sort of 'bends' on his character models (apparent during talking scenes) is bugging me as well.

It's like this...

0 --> his head
| --> his body
\ ---> his hip
|
I generally don't care about the story or characters in RPGs, so the atrocious character models haven't really bothered me.

To me, the only two mechanical things that could have been added that would have made the game damn near perfect would have been a bestiary and gambits.

Varion

Finally got all the arts manuals! Man, some of those were a pain. So glad that's done with.

To celebrate I downed the L105 unique. And now I'm going to do it again for another night accuracy cylinder.

MoogPaul

Is anyone using the throttle down xp codes? I'm currently lvl 24
they just took juju to colony 6
and I'm steamrolling everything. Thinking about using it.

Reveirg

I'm missing Search Quest 1 and Challenge 3 from
Alcamoth

I'm assuming all of these quests come in packs of 4? I just want to be sure I'm not missing any...

Also, are the additional skill sets missable if you miss some of the timed quests?

Just got done playing for about 3 hours on Dolphin. Although it looks incredible on Dolphin, I think I'd rather play it on my Wii on a bigger screen just because it's more relaxing lol.

LaneDS

This game has beautiful music, but so many of the zones make me too relaxed and sleepy. Wish there were more Gaur Plains type songs and less, well, relaxing ones.

LaneDS

Coldsnap said:
Is this the type of game that you need a gameguide or faq to fully enjoy it? Like is most the good stuff hidden.

I think the game does a good job of rewarding you for seeking out hidden stuff. You would probably find a guide useful if you're going for 100% quest completion though, but to me that isn't really as good as stumbling on a secret area. Simply exploring carefully is generally well rewarded.

Coldsnap

LaneDS said:
I think the game does a good job of rewarding you for seeking out hidden stuff. You would probably find a guide useful if you're going for 100% quest completion though, but to me that isn't really as good as stumbling on a secret area. Simply exploring carefully is generally well rewarded.

Cool, the completionist inside of me wants to get a guide but this games world seems really open to exploration.

Varion

Coldsnap said:
Is this the type of game that you need a gameguide or faq to fully enjoy it? Like is most the good stuff hidden.
Think it's quite unlikely you'd get 100% in one playthrough without a guide unless you're very, very thorough due to some things being missable. I really can't recommend you use one though, it's much more fun finding things for yourself, and guides are going to be full of spoilers. Soon as you know an area it's full of missables you start to wonder what happens to it to make everything missable.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Coldsnap said:

I imagine 100%-ing a game like this would be nightmare considering the amount of collect this collect that running here running there type of sidequests... which are often times time-sensitive... which are often given by NPCs who loved to wander around.... with drop rates that can oftentimes so aggravating.......... and often with clues are so vague you might want to punch someone (Find this Nopon! Where? On Bionis Leg! WHERE THE FUCK ON BIONIS LEG SHOULD I SEARCH? TWO MASSIVE AREAS WITH DIFFERENT LEVELS WITH DAY + NIGHT CYCLE!!!!!!!!!!)

Not to mention other concerns like affinities, gem crafting, leveling, etc etc.

Seems like a masochist's kind of undertaking, if you ask me XD

AzureSky

playing it through Dolphin on a big screen and i'm floored. Didnt see a jrpg that good for a long long time, and i'm quiet amazed its running on Wii. Visuals are somewhat dated, but art direction is great.
This is the evolution of classic jrpg games, it plays and feels just right. I think it has more in common with MMO's then single player rpg's and i like it quiet a bit. If i would choose 1 game that could have had the most influnce on xenoblade, it would be final fantasy 11.

This is one of the games that will be remembered and referenced as benchmark for future rpg's.

Twix

looks fairly good in 2560 x 1600 :

Dolphin%202011-09-04%2018-16-12-14.png

How can you tell when an enemy has an aura? I'm having troubles beating (lvl 48 boss)
Mumkhar
and not sure what I'm doing wrong.

McNum

xtrasauce said:
How can you tell when an enemy has an aura? I'm having troubles beating (lvl 48 boss)
Mumkhar
and not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Look for small red numbers or status effects on the enemy or your characters. If in doubt, Purge. But for that particular boss, you want
Speed, not Purge, though. Most of its attacks are physical, so Speed will make your character dodge.

Leeness

This gaaaaame. I'm in love.

And I've barely even begun. Just chilling out in Colony 9, talking to people, doing some quests (I can't find anyone to GIVE THEM THEIR COOKIES) and jumping into the water and hoping a giant fish doesn't eat me. Something started chasing me and the screen was all CAUTION CAUTION and I swam for my life and didn't die. :)

ilumonolithsoft <3

McNum said:
Look for small red numbers or status effects on the enemy or your characters. If in doubt, Purge. But for that particular boss, you want
Speed, not Purge, though. Most of its attacks are physical, so Speed will make your character dodge.

Cool, thanks. Actually right after I posted I replaced
Melia for Sharla
and the fight went from hard to easy. It was the first time I used the
Shulk/Dunban/Sharla
configuration and man... they are a force to be reckoned with.
Mumkhar
was no match, that's for sure.

Damn it, it's 2 in the mo' here and I just entered
sword valley, with Dickson tantalizing me with new equipment.
I need to go to bed but this game is not making it easy.

Varion said:
To celebrate I downed the L105 unique. And now I'm going to do it again for another night accuracy cylinder.
After beating LV120, I told myself to wait until the next day for the others, but I couldn't wait, so now it's already 8AM, and LV105 + LV108 bit the dust!

Only mister LV114 to beat up (got him once at 1/2 HP without something to protect myself from his aura, now I have something against it), so after a few hours of sleep, I'm going to pay him a visit, and I will be finally done with all Uniques I had access to.

epmode

Twix said:
looks fairly good in 2560 x 1600 :
And this is why I can't bring myself to play the game. It looks SO MUCH BETTER than it does on the Wii but my persistent audio glitches keep me from playing it on Dolphin. I really need to figure this out, sigh.

just started my 3rd playthrough. i'm going FULL BLAST speed run. going for under 13 hours this time, the 2nd was 20 hours on the dot, but i was going a fair amount of side stuff.

AzureSky

Fahrenheit said:
Id love to play on Dolphin but i'm stilling having problems with audio bugging out in dolphon :(

choose xaudio2 and turn off frameskipping. If there are still sound problems, your system probably is not fast enough to process it.
I'm playing with C2D 8400 @3ghz / GPU 4850, speed is usually at 80-100% with rare sound stuttering. It's still better then playing it on wii because i can use my xbox 360 controller and visuals are much cleaner.

faridmon

AzureSky said:
choose xaudio2 and turn off frameskipping. If there are still sound problems, your system probably is not fast enough to process it.
I'm playing with C2D 8400 @3ghz / GPU 4850, speed is usually at 80-100% with rare sound stuttering. It's still better then playing it on wii because i can use my xbox 360 controller and visuals are much cleaner.
wat

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
epmode said:
And this is why I can't bring myself to play the game. It looks SO MUCH BETTER than it does on the Wii but my persistent audio glitches keep me from playing it on Dolphin. I really need to figure this out, sigh.

This has been my dilemma since I bought it in Japan over a year ago.

Shit just looks so bad if I play it on the Wii on my 47" TV.

Runs well on Dolphin, but the random audio stutters just kill the experience for me.

TheExodu5

Banned
Aside from the octagonal cutouts, the CC Pro is possible my favorite controller ever. It fits my hands perfectly and is more comfortable than the 360 controller. The dpad is great, and the face and shoulder buttons are the best of any modern controller, IMO.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is it worth to purchase a new CC Pro for Wii for this game? Any great advantage CC Pro has over the Wiimote+Nunchuk? I've been playing for 50 hours, more or less, and I've been quite miffed about the camera controls... but if that is what CC Pro only has over the Wiimote+Nunchuk, it seems like a waste of money to buy one.

Laughing Banana said:
Is it worth to purchase a new CC Pro for Wii for this game? Any great advantage CC Pro has over the Wiimote+Nunchuk? I've been playing for 50 hours, more or less, and I've been quite miffed about the camera controls... but if that is what CC Pro only has over the Wiimote+Nunchuk, it seems like a waste of money to buy one.
I would like to know this is as well. During encounters with tons of enemies the game becomes quite annoying.

Billen

Banned
To anyone playing this on Dolphin, what controls do you use?

Edit: Just saw Robobandits comment about using the 360 controller. Anyone else?

AzureSky

Billen said:
To anyone playing this on Dolphin, what controls do you use?

Edit: Just saw Robobandits comment about using the 360 controller. Anyone else?

360 is really the controller you need. There is not much negative to say about it. Its not too expensive and is probably the best supported controller if you want to use it for windows gaming.

Top Bottom