• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Chaos

Really enjoying this, was in the Guar Plains today and was like wtf this is a wii game im playing it looks great.

Plains Spoiler:

The big giant monkey like mob almost gave me a heart attack when I spun round and seen him behind me!

Kawl_USC

I've gone through so much trouble trying to get this game :(

First, I bought the CCPro pack from Game.co when it had it in stock a few days ago, but my bank flagged it for fraud because it was an international payment. Then game's site rejected my card for the next few days.

Then I decided to get it off of eBay since it seemed it was out of stock everywhere else. Well the guy just got home from a family emergency and he expected his stock to have been left at his house, but because no one signed for it it got returned and sold to some one else. So now he says it will be another week or two, but he offered an immediate refund.

I decided to ask for a refund and he says he will and leave me positive feedback as soon as I leave him positive feedback, problem is I created this account to buy this item in particular so it isn't five days old, which is required to leave feedback. (Sidenote: Am I getting screwed over by this guy or is it common for sellers to be like this because negative feedback is so damning on eBay?)

So now I have to decide if I want to buy it for $120 off eBay or wait for it come back in stock at major importers.

I just want to play this game :(

Ok. So.

Are my friend and I dumber than rocks, or is this truly just not obvious in the least.

The Collectopedia. The "Other" category. What, when, why, huh? I'm near the beginning of the game, he's about 80 hours in, and neither of us have figured this out. What is it, how do you fill it in, is it some bonus thing?

We're lost.

Sadist

Btw, I accidently defeated a unique monster before I took on the quest in which it was required to defeat him. Will they respawn again?

KarmaCow

ColonelSkills said:
Ok. So.

Are my friend and I dumber than rocks, or is this truly just not obvious in the least.

The Collectopedia. The "Other" category. What, when, why, huh? I'm near the beginning of the game, he's about 80 hours in, and neither of us have figured this out. What is it, how do you fill it in, is it some bonus thing?

We're lost.

There are some NPCs that have trade only items that are need for the that category in the collectopedia. You can't complete it until the end game though since one of them items requires you to trade a drop from a 100+ level optional boss.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
ColonelSkills said:
Ok. So.

We're lost.
I'm probably not far enough to have done anything with that yet, but I'm guessing it's just for some areas that don't really fit in as part of the main ones that have their own Collectopedia pages.

Edit: Well, I was kind of close I guess.

Switch to another area and then go back.
I don't think that works. As I mentioned above, I killed one before I got the quest to do it and it hasn't respawned yet. Reloaded the game and it wasn't there, and I've been to several different areas since I killed it and that didn't do anything either.

ColonelSkills said:
Ok. So.

We're lost.
It's reserved for "special" collectables that you only get through certain quests or something along those lines. I haven't found any either, but I think there's an NPC that told me that.

MicH

I have a question about the area after Satorl Marsh
inside Bionis. I see a page for it in the collectopaedia, but how do I find the collectables in it? I can't find any. Is it coming later in the game?

Diablos54

MicH said:
I have a question about the area after Satorl Marsh
inside Bionis. I see a page for it in the collectopaedia, but how do I find the collectables in it? I can't find any. Is it coming later in the game?
I haven't been back yet myself, about 50% in, but I assume you do at some point. I had a very good look just in case and I found nothing.

McNum

So, hmm... Yup, pretty much have to spoiler tag this whole reply. I need a little help with [redacted] and where to find a couple of sidequests.

(Major story spoilers for levels 50-60)

So... Fiora. Or Mecha-Fiora if you will. I've been looking over her armor and weapons in the shop in the Hidden Village, and it looks like she has three different upgrade paths. As if it wasn't confusing enough how to use her in the first place. She's a fairly powerful single target DPS, I think, and she has HP to take a few hits, too. She should be awesome, except there's Shulk in pretty much the same role. Which is where I think the upgrade parts come in. She's like Shulk, until I upgrade her. But what's good on her?

My gut instinct is a full Speed set. +40 agility and Haste? Sweet! She'll be an attacking machine (pun kind of intended) and she'll outpace Shulk easily like that. Is this gut instinct right? I see her kind of like a Rogue, so more attacks is good. Also, I get the feeling that buying a full set of anti-Mechon weapons in the Hidden Village is a good plan, since, you know, next stop: Mechonis.

But now I run into a small issue, which is money. I don't have enough to upgrade, let alone buy more art manuals to get something to spend my AP on. So, you know what time it is? Sidequest time! To get gold and stuff that sells for gold. Plus, I want to track down those skill trees and Monado powers that I've heard are available. Can anyone tell me where and how I get those particular quests? I need to get the various places up to several stars, don't I?

Also, speaking of sidequests, I'm guessing that the point of no return is when the war starts, right? How close am I to that?

And finally, it amuses me that Skip Travel is available right now. I'm on the hand below the Mechonis, the only way out is locked and leads to Mechonis, but I'll just Skip to Colony 9 just like that. Best part, of course, is that when I proceed after questing, the door out will still be locked. Logic? We don't need no stinkin' logic. It's convenient, so shut up!

*Phew* that's a lot of black bars, but I'd like a little help with it, just don't highlight it if you're below level 60. Seriously, the first five words will spoil a major twist.

bubnbob

Banned
MicH said:
Intro-storyrelated question (spoilered for the sake of those who haven't played it):
When Fiora brings food to Shulk in Outlook Park, Fiora mentions that there hasn't been much "falling" lately (and some black pieces is seen falling from the sky). Is it from the Mechonis? Is this touched upon later on in the game, or was that the only mention on "falling"?

I think this scene is more to set the massive scale of the world. It's not really relevant to the story at all. And yes this is the only scene where it's mentioned.

KarmaCow

McNum said:
So, hmm... Yup, pretty much have to spoiler tag this whole reply. I need a little help with [redacted] and where to find a couple of sidequests.

(Major story spoilers for levels 50-60)

Stuff
It seems like she gets a lot of pre-gemmed items but she also does get normal slotted items as well. And yea from what I've seen you're right, the speed set is the best or at the very least the one with Haste V out classes everything else. You can mix and match of course.

As for the Monado abilites, one is Frontier Village. I believe it's a quest line with Lupa who wants to find Makna Ruins. The last part of the quest has a part with a tomb and you can open a chest to find a Monado ability. This is actually optional though and not explicitly part of the quest. The other is in the Hidden Village, if you do the sidequests you'll run it into since there are few NPCs in a small space.

AFAIK, there are 3 points where areas become locked. One is coming up, another one is a little further beyond that and one final one that is made very clear by the game it is a point of no return before you move forward.

And yea the ability to quick travel even as Fiora is healing was pretty odd.

Okay I have a major problem...

So i finally turn on my Wii to start playing xenoblade for the first time. I hit the power button on my wiimote and the system turns on. It turns on to a BootMii screen with four options: Wii, homebrew channel, sd card, and some kind of settings i guess.

However, my Wiimote refuses to connect to the system. It just starts blinking for a bit and then nothing happens. Also, holding down the power button on my Wii doesnt shut it off. There are brand new batteries in the wiimote so that isnt the issue.

Can anyone help me with this?

Edit: Well holding the power button on the system DOES shut it off, but everything else still seems to be a problem...

Edit 2: Okay and now I plugged in and unplugged a GC controller and it turned black and then the regular wii menu came up and now my wiimote connects...

Edit 3: Okay, well now things seem to be working, and I'm at the Gecko screen with my disc in the system. What should I do at this point? Do I have to set up anything in the config menu? Such as Force PAL60? What about PAL50?

TheExodu5

Banned
Reyn thinks he's in World of Warcraft:

reyn_armor.png

On a related note, I kind of wish there were set bonuses for armor.

Magnus

robotzombie said:

So i finally turn on my Wii to start playing xenoblade for the first time. I hit the power button on my wiimote and the system turns on. It turns on to a BootMii screen with four options: Wii, homebrew channel, sd card, and some kind of settings i guess.

However, my Wiimote refuses to connect to the system. It just starts blinking for a bit and then nothing happens. Also, holding down the power button on my Wii doesnt shut it off. There are brand new batteries in the wiimote so that isnt the issue.

Edit: Well holding the power button on the system DOES shut it off, but everything else still seems to be a problem...

Edit 2: Okay and now I plugged in and unplugged a GC controller and it turned black and then the regular wii menu came up and now my wiimote connects...

Same problem.

I just turn the system on first, get to the normal Wii Channels home screen, then put my SD card in, then boot up the HBC.

Dandruff5

Neo Member
robotzombie said:

Edit 3: Okay, well now things seem to be working, and I'm at the Gecko screen with my disc in the system. What should I do at this point? Do I have to set up anything in the config menu? Such as Force PAL60? What about PAL50?

Hitting the reset button will get you to the regular Wii home menu and your Wiimote will connect.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
TheExodu5 said:
Reyn thinks he's in World of Warcraft:

http://www.thejayzone.com/pics/xenoblade/reyn_armor.png

On a related note, I kind of wish there were set bonuses for armor.
Yeah, set bonuses would have been nice. Since there aren't any I don't bother with sets and just use the best armor I find, which is almost always a combination of stuff found while exploring/questing that looks awful.

Looks like we are at about the same point though (given the level and your guest). I'm not sure I have any of that armor though.

From the GWHT:

BootMii only supports Gamecube controllers and the Wii's own buttons (Power/Reset/Eject)
Wavebirds are sometimes recognised/sometimes not. Try ensuring they are switched on before turning on the Wii
The Power button chooses the next option and Reset button selects an option. Eject is only neeeded when prompted.
If BootMii is installed as boot2, you can make BootMii autoboot to the system menu or Homebrew Channel after a specified number of seconds of inactivity by altering sd:/bootmii/bootmii.ini by adding or changing the following lines (in particular, note the lack of the # character):
AUTOBOOT=HBC (or SYSMENU)
BOOTDELAY=5 (or any other number)

First bolded part explains the issue you had. Second is a nice easy work around so you don't have to do it every time.

McNum

KarmaCow said:
Black bars
(Still major level 50-60 story spoilers)
Ah, so one Monado ability is in Hidden Village? Might as well start there, then. I also have a rematch with a level 55 unique in Sword Valley for a quest...

I'll get Fiora the Speed set, maybe see if there are single parts of any of the other sets that might be handy, but mainly speed. Agility is awesome, I know that much. Thanks for the help!

robotzombie said:

Remove/rename bootmii.ini (or a similar name from the SD card). Or leave it as it is and hit reset to confirm the selected option (go to system) or power and eject to select/cancel different options.

Re Edit3: If you're running in 480p in theory you should need nothing. If not, force NTSC is what you'll need.

Thanks guys, how about that third edit? What options do I set in the gecko config to get the game to run?

Edit: thanks, yeah seems to be running without messing with the options

Magnus said:
Same problem.

I just turn the system on first, get to the normal Wii Channels home screen, then put my SD card in, then boot up the HBC.
Tap the power button in Bootmii to move the cursor along. Tap the reset button to select an option. The first option takes you to normal Wii menu. So just quickly tap - don't hold - the reset button to take you there. If you want to go straight into the homebrew channel - move along one with the power button then use the reset button.

Edit - as mentioned above.

Fomalhaut

Neo Member
MicH said:
Intro-storyrelated question (spoilered for the sake of those who haven't played it):
When Fiora brings food to Shulk in Outlook Park, Fiora mentions that there hasn't been much "falling" lately (and some black pieces is seen falling from the sky). Is it from the Mechonis? Is this touched upon later on in the game, or was that the only mention on "falling"?

If you consider Colony 9's position on the Bionis, falling debris from the sky should be a common sight. :)

AQGNJ.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
chaosblade said:
Looks like we are at about the same point though (given the level and your guest). I'm not sure I have any of that armor though.

I'm actually using another piece for Reyn right now. I found it off a regular enemy in those caves. It seems ridiculously good for this point in the game. I hope I can find the matching set, because it looks pretty sweet too.

reyn_empress.png

edit: actually, it appears he's missing part of his shoulders with this armor on, hah.

wsippel

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I'm actually using another piece for Reyn right now. I found it off a regular enemy in those caves. It seems ridiculously good for this point in the game. I hope I can find the matching set, because it looks pretty sweet too.

edit: actually, it appears he's missing part of his shoulders with this armor on, hah.
Plate armor is rare (very few sets) and hard to find, so the sets being a bit overpowered seems fair. After 127 hours, I managed to get complete Eclipse, M-100 and Asura sets (only a single complete set each), but only two pieces of Titan armor and one piece of some other high end set I can't remember.

TheExodu5

Banned
wsippel said:
Plate armor is rare (very few sets) and hard to find, so the sets being a bit overpowered seems fair. After 127 hours, I managed to get complete Eclipse, M-100 and Asura sets (only a single complete set each), but only two pieces of Titan armor and one piece of some other high end set I can't remember.

Good to know.

Gvaz

Banned
I don't know about you but I've got like 5-6 guardis plate arms in my inventory right now :|

I find plate quite often and Reyn is pretty much in full empress/guardis

MicH

Every single of my party members are currently rocking a mix of makna, jungle and panther armor, so they all pretty much look like native people from some sort of tribe, haha. Panther, especially, is really awesome.

wsippel

Banned
MicH said:
Every single of my party members are currently rocking a mix of makna, jungle and panther armor. Panther, especially, is really awesome.
It is. Best set at this point in the game, and best light armor set for quite some time.

Dascu

Question about end-game quest:
Where do I find the Truth of Giants?

Oh, and when Dunban says it's the point of no return, up in Prison Island, he's telling the truth, right?

MicH said:
Every single of my party members are currently rocking a mix of makna, jungle and panther armor, so they all pretty much look like native people from some sort of tribe, haha. Panther, especially, is really awesome.
Riki in full Panther gear is the greatest thing ever.

Zihark

robotzombie said:
Are you supposed to attack and kill stuff that doesn't bother you like the little bunnies?
if you want to complete quests,then yes. Been playing the game for over 10 hours and enjoying it- its really so beautiful and i'm a sucker for quests and loot.

Feep

Banned
Wait, I just realized I don't know something incredibly basic.

What's the little yellow gauge below each character on the UI? The one below that if obviously XP, but I have no idea what the yellow is for.

wsippel

Banned
Gvaz said:
I don't know about you but I've got like 5-6 guardis plate arms in my inventory right now :|

I find plate quite often and Reyn is pretty much in full empress/guardis
I have six Eclipse helmets but only a single breast plate. That's the main problem. It seems many sets have at least one part that won't drop randomly. Some only seem to drop from named mobs, or in some cases, can only be acquired by doing sidequests. Some sets, like Speed V, seem impossible to complete without doing a very hard endgame questline.

Feep said:
Wait, I just realized I don't know something incredibly basic.

What's the little yellow gauge below each character on the UI? The one below that if obviously XP, but I have no idea what the yellow is for.
The skill the character is currently unlocking.

Dascu said:
Question about end-game quest:
Where do I find the Truth of Giants?
If thats what I think it is
Tephra cave has a new area open. I think the directions are go into the area and in the right of the first room is a passage which will eventually lead you to the point. The quest line will have you slaying a level 90-something unique as part of it so be prepared. If it was one of the other 2, manka forest/frontier village or the satori marsh area

Dascu

Starwolf_UK said:
If thats what I think it is
Tephra cave has a new area open. I think the directions are go into the area and in the right of the first room is a passage which will eventually lead you to the point. The quest line will have you slaying a level 90-something unique as part of it so be prepared. If it was one of the other 2, manka forest/frontier village or the satori marsh area
Ah good, I have that quest.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Dascu said:
Question about end-game:
Oh, and when Dunban says it's the point of no return, up in Prison Island, he's telling the truth, right?

Yes.
You won't be able to save at all after that.

Dascu

TheExodu5 said:
So, can anyone confirm if the game actually warns you if you're about to pass a point where some quests will become incompletable?
There's a few moments where you'll be given an option to continue onwards, or to wait a bit longer. It doesn't really explicitly warn you that those particular quests will become unavailable though. And those moments don't always mean that a batch of quests will become unavailable. A certain set of quests becomes unavailable after an important bossfight/big story event, without a proper preceding warning.

However, there's always a lot of time to do those timed quests. You definitely don't need to do them the moment they become available.

Hiltz

I beat the
Telethia "Dinobeast"
boss last night after getting to level 43 and 57 hours gameplay time.I spent most of the time exploring
Makna Forest
. Finally found those monsters that drop the Hode plank items too so I could upgrade another part of
Colony 6

By the way, once
Melia leaves your party again and asks if you're ready to go to Eryth Sea, is this a temporary point of no return? I'd like to get Melia back in my party so I can level up her and do more sidequests before moving on with the story.

LaneDS

Hiltz said:
I beat the
Telethia "Dinobeast"
boss last night after getting to level 43 and 57 hours gameplay time.I spent most of the time exploring
Makna Forest
. Finally found those monsters that drop the Hode plank items too so I could upgrade another part of
Colony 6

By the way, once
Melia leaves your party again and asks if you're ready to go to Eryth Sea, is this a temporary point of no return? I'd like to get Melia back in my party so I can level up her and do more sidequests before moving on with the story.

I am pretty sure
she
keeps gaining XP/AP/SP while not in the party. Afterwards there was no noticeable difference in level.

Fritz

I am really digging the story and I normally hate JRPG "stories".

P.S.: I am lv 27 and only am about to enter
Colony 6, I hope. Fought Xord twice and just was spared by Metalface for the time being. That blue dragon thing came out of nowhere for me, thank god haven't been spoiled yet.
I really like the visions too.

Hiltz

I've been frusterated by this "Thank You" quest in
Tephra Cave. It says to exit out of the cave and search the area immediatly on the left side for an item to dig up. Well, isn't Tephra caves' Rear Entrance landmark the only exit? That leads ouside to the cylinder hanger on top of the anti-air battery overlooking colony 9. I checked the area but found nothing. Where eactly is this exit cause it's probably not the cylinder hanger location?

Top Bottom