• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Dascu

Hiltz said:
I've been frusterated by this "Thank You" quest in
Tephra Cave. It says to exit out of the cave and search the area immediatly on the left side for an item to dig up. Well, isn't Tephra caves' Rear Entrance landmark the only exit? That leads ouside to the cylinder hanger on top of the anti-air battery overlooking colony 9. I checked the area but found nothing. Where eactly is this exit cause it's probably not the cylinder hanger location?
The exit to Bionis' Leg.

Sadist

Hiltz said:
I've been frusterated by this "Thank You" quest in
Tephra Cave. It says to exit out of the cave and search the area immediatly on the left side for an item to dig up. Well, isn't Tephra caves' Rear Entrance landmark the only exit? That leads ouside to the cylinder hanger on top of the anti-air battery overlooking colony 9. I checked the area but found nothing. Where eactly is this exit cause it's probably not the cylinder hanger location?

You know when you go out from Tephra Cave after the Spider-Queens lair? (Path towards Bionis Leg) Take that route and immediatly on your left on the outside ;)

Dascu

Gvaz said:
How do I get to the Obsessive Galgaron in the Hode Lair, and where is the Hode Lair anyways?
It's in Eryth Sea. You'll have to jump down from the Ether Plant floating island and swim towards the west. Big island there, you can't miss it.

wsippel

Banned
Fritz said:
I am really digging the story and I normally hate JRPG "stories".
Agreed. It has some very unexpected twists that are not asspulls and make perfect sense in the end. And that's really something the three authors can be proud of.

It's really interesting reading the Iwata Asks regarding the writing, by the way. Having three authors with very different backgrounds working on a single script might sound like a recipice for disaster, but they managed to create something that combines the strengths of all three, not their weaknesses. You have Takahashi and his love for abstract stuff and dead German philosophers, that GaoGaiGar Final, Banner of the Stars and Infinite Ryvius author (Takeda I believe), and Yurie Hattori who previously worked on Fire Emblem and Style Savvy to add a more logical and feminine touch. It worked. And that's really impressive.

polg

TheExodu5 said:
I'm actually using another piece for Reyn right now. I found it off a regular enemy in those caves. It seems ridiculously good for this point in the game. I hope I can find the matching set, because it looks pretty sweet too.

reyn_empress.png

edit: actually, it appears he's missing part of his shoulders with this armor on, hah.

The game doesn't look this good on the wii. I don't think we should be posting these pics, as it will misrepresent the game to newcomers... just a thought.

I wish the game looked like this on my HDTV ;-;

Question regarding a Colony 6 sidequest:
For "What Is Love?" the quest for Ewan, where can I find the Nopon merchant and a "haughty young Homs girl"? Are they characters that appear after Colony 6 is reconstructed or are they in another location?

Hiltz

Sadist said:
You know when you go out from Tephra Cave after the Spider-Queens lair? (Path towards Bionis Leg) Take that route and immediatly on your left on the outside ;)

Thanks guys. I'll go look for it later today.

JumpingTheGun said:
For "What Is Love?" the quest for Ewan, where can I find the Nopon merchant and a "haughty young Homs girl"? Are they characters that appear after Colony 6 is reconstructed or are they in another location?
I'm not sure where exactly they were but they should be very close to the
Reconstruction HQ
. Did you try to change the time of the day and see if an exclamation mark pops up on the minimap?

Hiltz

JumpingTheGun said:

The nopon's name is Satata north of Juju. The young Homs girl is Anna. I believe they are all in Colony 6 but at different times. Check during the day.

TheExodu5

Banned
polg said:
The game doesn't look this good on the wii. I don't think we should be posting these pics, as it will misrepresent the game to newcomers... just a thought.

But it looks too purdy not to post.

Disclaimer: not actually on the Wii
leg_night.png

(still my favorite vista in the game, so far)

This game is starting to reach FFVII levels of enjoyment for me. After 40 hours I'm tempted to agree that it belongs to the best JRPGs ever made.

And it's so damn relaxing. Just dive into the world and forget the everyday stress. Frontier Village <3.

Oxx

It's always good to wander off in the opposite direction the arrow is suggesting you should be going. Love to watch that distance number get higher and higher.

Fritz

polg said:

There are some pretty impressive textures there imo. Just thought about it while wandering the Mine. But -fortunately- my standards are low I have to admit.

Gvaz

Banned
Where's the villagers who give out Collection quest 1 and 2 in frontier village? I can't find them...

Spoiler! Spreadsheet list of spawn times and mobs and zones and quests and etc

here

polg

Fritz said:
There are some pretty impressive textures there imo. Just thought about it while wandering the Mine. But -fortunately- my standards are low I have to admit.

don't get me wrong, the game is pretty but... If you look at something like Xillia or FFXIII... I don't know yourself by it depresses me.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game and I think it is great. But it is an example of Nintendo missing the point 5/6 years ago when they were poo-pooing on HDTVs.

Hiltz

JumpingTheGun said:
oh awesome thank you.

edit: we really need to start making a list of
what the best presents are to give to each character.

Shulk - Sirius Anemone, Pyro lizard, Knocking Fly,Mystic Shining Beetle,Blue Chain, Winding Wheel

Reyne - - Flavored Cabbage, Shin Newt, Yellowcat, Black Frog, Giant Hornet, White Night Rod

Sharla
- Sour Gooseberry, Kneecap Rock, Gold Dust Illusion Powder, Hardend Lotus, Bright Fig

Dunban
- Rubber Mantis, Blue Engine, Part, Bracelet of Death, Snow Plate/Plate Snow (whichever way), Prarrie Dragonfly

Don't know about the ones for other characters yet.

polg said:
don't get me wrong, the game is pretty but... If you look at something like Xillia or FFXIII... I don't know yourself by it depresses me.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game and I think it is great. But it is an example of Nintendo missing the point 5/6 years ago when they were poo-pooing on HDTVs.
Yeah, except that Xillia of all games is actually not proving your point. :p

wsippel

Banned
polg said:
Nope, still looks amazing. In fact, that's the one thing I worry about regarding their next game. SQEX couldn't be arsed to do towns, Ninokuni PS3 is copypasta level design, and Tales of is... Tales of. Xilia is a Wii game, less detailed and less interesting than Xenoblade, in HD.

Hiltz

Gvaz said:
Where the hell do you get a Sirius Anemone? I couldn't find it in colony 6

It may be south of Watchpoint Junction but I don't know for sure. Alternatively, you may be able to get it from Nikita npc in Colony 6 as a bonus item by trading with her.

Gvaz said:
Where the hell do you get a Sirius Anemone? I couldn't find it in colony 6

Ive only found a couple of them so Im assuming theyre extremely rare, but I found mine around
Hopes Farm at night whoile it was raining

OK where the flip is Nikita?
I found her buddy in the mines and he told me he left her outside, but I cant find her anywhere. Did he mean outside on the Splintered Path? Cause I found nothing there.

JumpingTheGun said:
I found her buddy in the mines and he told me he left her outside, but I cant find her anywhere. Did he mean outside on the Splintered Path? Cause I found nothing there.
Yes, she is in the area before the mines. She is not directly in front of the mine entrance but somewhere close. And she is surrounded by monsters iirc.

Well I'm nearing the end of my playthrough, I found the 3 quests I missed, so my total is now 423 without story quests. Can't do more than that in one playthrough.

Everything else is also 100% except 2 trial awards and very few record awards, and the arts I don't really use are not all at level 10 because I don't want to farm AP for now, that can always be done later. And only one character is not at max in skills but it's only for 2 of them and it can be done in a future playthrough.

The only thing I'll do before saving the clear file is getting 2 more weapons I want with 3 slots, getting 3 pieces of equipment for 3 characters who don't have them already and then craft the gems to put in everything.
When this is done, I'll sell a lot of gear because I won't be using them anymore anyway, same thing with gems I don't use.

And that will be it. My objective was to be done with this before Xillia arrives, I'm glad I'll be able to achieve it.

CoolS

JumpingTheGun said:

Yep she's there.

Mine finally arrived today, it looks way better than I thought it would on the Wii, very fluid and good animations make the difference, and of course, the fact that the game is actually colorful.

From what I played I understand it's not a normal game, it's quite a gem this early.

I really hope that everyone on this thread playing "enhanced" versions of the game via PC have purchased it, I'm not even being anal with the whole "you shall rip it" crap that no one does, but really, anyone going through it should put down the bucks the game costs, please buy it, the status of RPG's is not what it once was and I definitely want to see more of this.

Plus it's quite easy to spot how much work and love have gone into this one, it should sell accordingly, not paying up front for a game of this caliber is a crime. I'm even thinking of buying a second copy. :)

BTW, am I the only one enjoying the english voice-overs?

Jucksalbe

Banned
MatthewB92 said:
Spoiler for
valak mountain.
*Has to do with a quest.
Where is antol den?

Is that the one where you
have to find the leaders of the antols and chilkins
? If so, you have to look
above the entrance to the lake coming from the Nopon Camp. There's a platform you have to reach. You can reach it by jumping at the right time when sliding down the ice tunnel.

TheExodu5

Banned
polg said:

It may have some low res textures and low polygon models, but it's probably the best looking RPG I've played to date. The world is just so beautifully crafted. It trumps everything else.

eXistor

lostinblue said:
BTW, am I the only one enjoying the english voice-overs?
I think most of us enjoy them actually. I love most of the voices myself, I'm always much more into British vo's than American ones.

Jucksalbe

Banned
wrowa said:
I'm searching for a place on Bionis' Leg:
Karsharpa Falls? Where is it? D:

Did you already go beyond
the bridge
? It's in the next big area, I don't think you can miss it there.

polg

wsippel said:
Nope, still looks amazing. In fact, that's the one thing I worry about regarding their next game. SQEX couldn't be arsed to do towns, Ninokuni PS3 is copypasta level design, and Tales of is... Tales of. Xilia is a Wii game, less detailed and less interesting than Xenoblade, in HD.

well... I wouldn't call it "Amazing". Those pixelated close ups of the character faces = >_< My point is just about the graphics. I'm sorry but in this day and age, I'm expecting games to look better.

Xillia is a PS3 game btw...

TheExodu5 said:
It may have some low res textures and low polygon models, but it's probably the best looking RPG I've played to date. The world is just so beautifully crafted. It trumps everything else.
I know. It's just so ambitious.

Most games this gen are too afraid to push the envelope and dropping graphical detail so they are way too conservative. Xenoblade is like a slap to the face with all that.

So what if we don't have the most processing power, the most RAM, the best cutscene models but still try harder than anyone else?

It's just pretty seeing that they sacrificed everything in order to get this scale working. Of course an HD version of it would be even better but I feel people miss the point… Shadow of the Colossus wouldn't be nearly as impressive if it was released on the PS3 being a PS2 game, for instance… stuff has to be tailor made for the hardware and this is impressive as is because it's on the Wii (although this scope would be impressive anywhere).

This piece of software would be intensive on any console, even if they could muster better graphics in the end it would be bound to bring any console or PC to it's knee's… HD developers are afraid to do this because they're too preoccupied with textures and character models looking fine and dandy.

Monolith… I love your balls; because it takes balls to make a game like this.
polg said:
well... I wouldn't call it "Amazing". Those pixelated close ups of the character faces = >_< My point is just about the graphics. I'm sorry but in this day and age, I'm expecting games to look better.

Xillia is a PS3 game btw...
They sacrificed everything for the scope.

"If" any developer would try to do something like this on PS3/X360 or even PC the graphics would suffer.

The Last Story is more focused on graphics, this one is focused on scope, even if in the process they reduced the detail on a macroscopic way, it was a tradeback and a tradeback that they would need to do in any platform really.

As for character models, I don't think they look so bad; they're better than the FFXII ones, detailed facial animations, detailed fingers and all that... Plus the modeling is quite good for what it is.

FFXII had cutscene models though, this one doesn't. Again, it takes BALLS.

lostinblue said:
Monolith… I love your balls; because it takes balls to make a game like this.
Balls and money, which NCL has quite a bit of.

Now if only they would throw money at Monolith to make a proper sequel on the WiiU...
and Treasure to make the next Star Fox...

SecretMoblin said:

Now if only they would throw money at Monolith to make a proper sequel on the WiiU...

I was thinkin Retro could handle that, but Treasure makes sense.

SecretMoblin said:

I don't think they had that much money, time, sure, since 2006 till 2010 is something a Tales team couldn't even dream of. but this tastes more like a labour of love than a "we had an unlimited budget".

Xenosaga 1 on PS2 was a double layer game, Xenosaga 2 and 3 had two discs to them (was cheaper than dual layer) this one is single layer in Japan, for instance, might not seem like much or like something they didn't need this time around (who knows) but might also mean that NoJ didn't see the need.

Plus if they had more budget, and more pressure through Nintendo I bet they would have eventually gone for cutscene models a la FFXII to mask how lowpoly (although nicely made) they are because the bigger the budget the bigger the focus on graphics, this game totally got away with it.

If you ask me there's something where being high end limits software, for instance how could they model this amount of content looking like a HD game? sure it would look better (as would having cutscene models) but they took 4 years to do this as is.

lostinblue said:
I don't think they had that much money, time, sure, they had time, but this tastes more like a labour of love than a "we had an unlimited budget".

Xenosaga 1 on PS2 was a double layer game, Xenosaga 2 and 3 had two discs to them (was cheaper than dual layer) this one is single layer in Japan, for instance.

Plus if they had more budget, and more pressure through Nintendo I bet they would have eventually gone for cutscene models a la FFXII because the bigger the budget the bigger the focus on graphics.

Glad they didn't, honestly.
So tired of CGI cutscenes in RPGs.
I like the in game models.

Sadist

SecretMoblin said:

Why schould they throw money at their own studio :p

AceBandage said:
Glad they didn't, honestly.
So tired of CGI cutscenes in RPGs.
I like the in game models.
Xenosaga 2 and 3 didn't have as many CGI cutscenes.

But you're right, yes.

My point was more in the lines that they weren't that blessed, their blessings was that they weren't rushed through the door like most third party's would with a new IP. But they clearly didn't have, say, 30 million dollars, probably 10/15 million tops. (and we have games costing 100 million this gen)

But that other than that, their resources were pretty much the same and they found themselves being scretched to complete their original vision for this game, it was way too ambitious to do on the Wii, but then again the fact they could throw macrodetail throught the window is what made the project possible.

Adding more personnel and having a bigger budget would be the solution otherwise and we know the most new members a team has the more diluted it is, I mean MGS4 and a few other "killer-IP's" out there that got diluted by teams with hundreds of members. Monolith is really tight, I really think while they weren't blessed with attention, expectation and budgets they were really lucky.

Top Bottom