• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

timetokill said:
It really wasn't one guy. There were several posts that were frankly skating on thin ice.

That said, I say let them get banned and learn a lesson. Change the title to something awesome!
Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| "Something Awesome!"

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Tathanen said:
Serious question: who gives a flying fuck about the god damned thread title.
Only for such a holy game as this.

8BitsAtATime said:
So yeah, I think im going to pick this up. What site would you guys recommended to order it from. Its going to be around $60 shipped right?
Depends where you're at.

I ordered mine from Zavvi for about that price. Hasn't come in yet, though, so I can't vouch for it yet here on the Best Coast of the US.

Just beat Xord. Current Level is 30. The story is opening up. I think i have a clue about who the mechonis with faces are. Dunban just joined my party and i'm heading towards satori marsh. GOTY so far

the-iek

I downloaded the European soundtrack yesterday from Nintendo's site and there's a fucking big spoiler in one of the titles. Seriously should have waited with the download.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
dwu8991 said:
Hmm, I'm thinking Nintendo needs to make Fire Emblem into an action RPG, now that Xenoblade is selling and doing well.

Man, sure, I would play that. I love Fire Emblem but I honestly can't imagine playing another one of them ever again, with the way they are now. I got halfway through the first DS one and it was all over for me. I'm so burnt out on that series it isn't even funny.

Alex

I'm still waiting on mine, and it seems like it's going to be awhile still because I am a dumbass and waited too long but forum hopping I saw that someone made a patcher to convert it to NTSC-U, clearing up the 25 FPS issue on Dolphin:

http://www.multiupload.com/0HT3E314L0

25 to 30 FPS is a pretty huge difference, despite how small it might seem, so if you're planning on that route you should probably get this.

Oh how I wish I could just walk into a store and buy it and avoid all of this shit. But on the plus side I do like British voice overs and we probably wouldn't have gotten that with a normal Western localization.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm convinced this "open world" game style is the best way forward for jRPGs. It's a proper modern evolution of the genre. It justifies the existance of the genre in a world where other genres have made similar leaps of complexity.

This is a complete 180 degree turn from how I used to feel. I remember when FFX brought RPGs to full 3D polygonal graphics, and I was hoping they'd keep the tightly-designed "vignettes" of the pre-rendered era, which is what they did to an extreme degree. Fixed camera with scripted movement. Every level very hand-crafted. Linear experiences. I didn't want open world jank.... I didn't want copy-pasted geometry + textures in order to make an open world. The Calm Lands seemed to confirm my fears.

Well FFX and obviously XIII were extreme examples of what I thought I wanted. More linear than my wildest dreams. I don't think that style of jRPG should die, but I do think it's proven to be rather limited. There's only so many beautiful corridors you can run down before you get bored.

In the meantime, XII and Xenoblade have shown me that open worlds can be very "designed". Nothing in Xenoblade looks copy-pasted, despite its size. The feeling of adventure is just so well-served by having an actual space to adventure through at one's leisure. There's no need to fake it with fake "dioramas" that give the illusion of a world... I've now seen the real thing.

So I imported the game and I need to mod my wii which I will probably do tomorrow. Now is the whole being able to rip games and play them off a harddrive something that is available with the normal modding done to play imports? Or is there a whole extra step/process to be able to do that kind of stuff? I'm kind of worried about the life span of my Wii's laser, so I figure being able to rip games going forward will put less stress on it...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
robotzombie said:
So I imported the game and I need to mod my wii which I will probably do tomorrow. Now is the whole being able to rip games and play them off a harddrive something that is available with the normal modding done to play imports? Or is there a whole extra step/process to be able to do that kind of stuff? I'm kind of worried about the life span of my Wii's laser, so I figure being able to rip games going forward will put less stress on it...
The whole ripping your games to USB hard drive thing will take care of any region free stuff. Just install Configurable USB Launcher and you can play Xenoblade just fine.

If you want to play foreign region games off the actual disc, then it's a different step. Either "StartPatch" to make it work like a normal local game, or "GeckoOS" to use a quick-n-dirty and fully compatable "launcher".

As always..

timetokill said:
Depends where you're at.

I ordered mine from Zavvi for about that price. Hasn't come in yet, though, so I can't vouch for it yet here on the Best Coast of the US.
Well Im from Texas, Also does it run with Gecko....because thats the only thing i have on my Wii (i use it to play Tatsunoko vs. Capcom)

edit
nvm question was answered.

Luigiv

Ok I just did a framerate analysis on one of NoE's direct feed videos. As I suspected, the whole 25fps thing is a Dolphin only glitch. The game definitely runs at 30fps on the Wii.

LProtag

InsaneZero said:
Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| "You Shall Be On Gods"

I like this, a lot. Nod to the past and the present. My vote goes here.

Also, I'm highly considering doing the USB loader because I'm worried about my Wii's disk drive and how it's holding up. My external hard drive is one of those old clunky ones you have to plug in to a socket though and I don't have the money to spare on a new one. I can use an SD card to put the ISO on, right? What size would I need? I'm assuming an 8.

Tailzo

I bought two copies to support the future of jrpgs. I'm currently browsing neogaf with a slow black and white only kindle. (free 3g ftw!) so I can' see the emulator hd screens. I alrady have a pal wii. is it worth it to connect my quadcore pc to the tv and figuring out dolphin to play xenoblade?

btw gave my second copy to a friend who didn' like the white knight or ff12 battle system. I guess she will not like xenoblade either?

Luigiv

Tailzo said:
I bought two copies to support the future of jrpgs. I'm currently browsing neogaf with a slow black and white only kindle. (free 3g ftw!) so I can' see the emulator hd screens. I alrady have a pal wii. is it worth it to connect my quadcore pc to the tv and figuring out dolphin to play xenoblade?
Well depends, exactly how fast is this quadcore cpu? Dolphin is only capable of utilising 2 cores, so clock speed is still important. You need at least 3.5GHz (possibly more) in order to run the game smoothly. You'll also need a half decent GPU if you really want to crank up the resolution and AA, though I'll take it you have one if your CPU is a quadcore.

btw gave my second copy to a friend who didn' like the white knight or ff12 battle system. I guess she will not like xenoblade either?
Probably not. but maybe she'll overlook the battle system in favour of all the other things the game has to offer. You'll know the answer to that better then I would.

TheExodu5

Banned
Alex said:
I'm still waiting on mine, and it seems like it's going to be awhile still because I am a dumbass and waited too long but forum hopping I saw that someone made a patcher to convert it to NTSC-U, clearing up the 25 FPS issue on Dolphin:

http://www.multiupload.com/0HT3E314L0

25 to 30 FPS is a pretty huge difference, despite how small it might seem, so if you're planning on that route you should probably get this.

Oh how I wish I could just walk into a store and buy it and avoid all of this shit. But on the plus side I do like British voice overs and we probably wouldn't have gotten that with a normal Western localization.

You're my hero. I was worried I wouldn't be able to acceptably play this on Dolphin.

watershed

Banned
slaughterking said:
Thanks. Damn, I really want this game but there are so many things stacked up against me getting it. Importing, modding my wii, waiting for the game to arrive, getting a classic controller. Or I could just pick up and play dues ex next tuesday. And yet this game is still calling to me!

CoolS

artwalknoon said:
Thanks. Damn, I really want this game but there are so many things stacked up against me getting it. Importing, modding my wii, waiting for the game to arrive, getting a classic controller. Or I could just pick up and play dues ex next tuesday. And yet this game is still calling to me!

I think that playing with the Wiimote is better since you can run around and select techniques at the same time, you can't really fo that with the classic controller since you do both of that with your left hand.

watershed

Banned
vcassano1 said:
Deus Ex will be on Steam Sale or on cut-price deals within three months, Xenoblade will not. Get Xenoblade ;)
I really, really want to. If this was available in NA I'd just walk into a store and buy it no aggro. But all the reasons I listed above make me hesitate. But man do I love jrpgs, I was just replaying FF12 today.

Tailzo

Luigiv said:
Well depends, exactly how fast is this quadcore cpu? Dolphin is only capable of utilising 2 cores, so clock speed is still important. You need at least 3.5GHz (possibly more) in order to run the game smoothly. You'll also need a half decent GPU if you really want to crank up the resolution and AA, though I'll take it you have one if your CPU is a quadcore.

Probably not. but maybe she'll overlook the battle system in favour of all the other things the game has to offer. You'll know the answer to that better then I would.
I don't remember actually. I bought it brand new to play civ V. I'll check it when I get home again in a weeks time. I remember having 4 gb ram.

Regarding my friend, I asked because I wasn't entirely sure how similar to ff12 the battles are. Sounds like they are pretty much the same. Thanks though :)

Lissar

Reluctant Member
artwalknoon said:

Modding is easy, CC is unnecessary. The only thing is waiting, and it's worth the wait!

herod

Marrshu said:
The framerate isuse is actually one of the reasons why I didn't preorder, as I don't have a means of playing the Wii in 480p. :\
You can still do 480i. Only 576i would be 50hz

Wichu

Got back from China to find a package from Amazon on my desk. Time to fire up the Wii and see if it still works :)

EDIT: The soundtrack zip I downloaded from the UK website is corrupted. I'm going to try again.

watershed

Banned
Lissar said:
Modding is easy, CC is unnecessary. The only thing is waiting, and it's worth the wait!
I was reading the modding homepage earlier. It seems easy but I suck with anything computer related so it intimidated me a bit. I thought the CC was the best way to play the game. If I'm gonna go through the trouble of importing a game and modding my wii I want to play it the best way possible within my resources (my pc can't run dolphin so that's out). The wait I can handle.

Ledsen

TheExodu5 said:
I'm just reading through Dolphin threads...could very well just be a Dolphin issue. I'll know once I get the game in (hopefully) this week.
The only pal Wii game i know that doesn't have pal60 mode is mad world, so I'm positive it's just à dolphin issue and the console version runs 60hz in 480p.

Edit: Ah, already cleared up that it was dolphin-only.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
artwalknoon said:
I was reading the modding homepage earlier. It seems easy but I suck with anything computer related so it intimidated me a bit. I thought the CC was the best way to play the game. If I'm gonna go through the trouble of importing a game and modding my wii I want to play it the best way possible within my resources (my pc can't run dolphin so that's out). The wait I can handle.

Modding is easy enough for anyone, really. And I would argue that the wiimote is just as good as the CC. The argument most people have against it is the camera, but I never had a problem the camera so I can't say what the issue is. There was a discussion about it earlier in the thread, so I think it mostly comes down to your preferences. Unless you hate the wiimote for other reasons, I don't see either version as being superior.

watershed

Banned
Lissar said:
Modding is easy enough for anyone, really. And I would argue that the wiimote is just as good as the CC. The argument most people have against it is the camera, but I never had a problem the camera so I can't say what the issue is. There was a discussion about it earlier in the thread, so I think it mostly comes down to your preferences. Unless you hate the wiimote for other reasons, I don't see either version as being superior.
Modding is guaranteed to work right? Cuz honestly, I know it shouldn't but it does worry me. I've never messed with any of my consoles before. If I have issues modding who do I contact?

About the CC I would prefer it for camera controls but that's it. With the wii and analog set up do you use the digital pad to move the camera?

Top Bottom