• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Dachande

Superblatt said:
Can we get one thread on the actual game and one thread on finding a copy? I've had mine for a couple days now, and would love to get some recommendations on how far leveled up I should be before entering Tetra Cave. I'm sitting around 9 right now, and am getting my ass handed to me.

My first time going in, I had to skip the Caterpillar unique by going on the path to the left, but could handle everything else in there, then on the way out of the caves I was able to take it down. I guess I was around level 11 when I killed it.

wrowa

Has anyone already made the second Kenny Rohan (Colony 9) quest?
Where is that person I am supposed to talk to because of the lamp? He mentioned a name, something starting with an A, but I don't know who that person is, let alone where I find him.

Superblatt said:
How do you know if an enemy is a unique or not?
It will have it's own name, and there will be boss music when you engage it

Has anyone 100& on the Ether Mines Collectopaedia? I'm looking for one item, it's under the Parts category, the first listed (of two) I've done like 4 runs of the mines and can't find it ;(

wrowa said:
Has anyone already made the second Kenny Rohan (Colony 9) quest?
Where is that person I am supposed to talk to because of the lamp? He mentioned a name, something starting with an A, but I don't know who that person is, let alone where I find him.

That's
Arnaut
you can find him wandering around the Lab HQ from 18:00-06:00, if you approach at the earliest time you might grab him as he walks out of there

syoaran

Really can't wait to get hold of this, along with Deus Ex and Izuama it's going to make next week something great.

Glad to hear that the game works fine with a 360 pad, picking one up for dolphin play next week ~

Alrus

BlazingDarkness said:

Has anyone 100& on the Ether Mines Collectopaedia? I'm looking for one item, it's under the Parts category, the first listed (of two) I've done like 4 runs of the mines and can't find it ;(

I completed it on my first run :D I think it's just a matter of luck though (like it took me 5 back and forth run of the tetra cave to get enough Shin Gecko for a quest and the collectopaedia :/)

wrowa

BlazingDarkness said:
That's
Arnaut
you can find him wandering around the Lab HQ from 18:00-06:00, if you approach at the earliest time you might grab him as he walks out of there
Found him, thanks a bunch!

Too bad I wasn't in the
Ether Mine
yet.

Haunted

environments look gorgeous

character models and design are awful

there's a lot to do

That sound about right? Feels like it's going to be the Wii's White Knight Chronicles (and I like that game. :) )

Peff

Alrus said:
I completed it on my first run :D I think it's just a matter of luck though (like it took me 5 back and forth run of the tetra cave to get enough Shin Gecko for a quest and the collectopaedia :/)

Yeah, I have it too and I've only been there once for the story quest. I think each map has a few harder to find blue glow spots where you're more likely to get the rare items.

Also apparently Game in Spain only got 260 copies. I'm curious about tomorrow, heh.

Zafir

BlazingDarkness said:

Black chip. I didn't manage to get it until the centre of the mine, where you're climbing down to the bottom.

Haha oh wow, did
Desiree
just spoil some of the plot?
She randomly started talking about how her father set up a business called 'Xord's Smithy' but 'died' in battle a year ago at Sword Valley
<- Don't read until you cleared the Ether Mine at least

I had my suspicions but come on lol

Zafir said:
Black chip. I didn't manage to get it until the centre of the mine, where you're climbing down to the bottom.
Is there a way I can go back to the Central area? It's all blocked off now since the explosions

Aeana

BlazingDarkness said:
Haha oh wow, did
Desiree
She randomly started talking about how her father set up a business called 'Xord's Smithy' but 'died' in battle a year ago at Sword Valley

I would think that by the end of that event you should have a pretty good idea of what's going on even without that. The game definitely doesn't try to tip-toe around the issue.

Haunted said:
That sound about right? Feels like it's going to be the Wii's White Knight Chronicles (and I like that game. :) )

I saw someone refer to it as FFXII done right, but I actually think it's closer to WKC done right. They seem to pick a lot of the same ideas (an MMO inspired JRPG) but where WKC was slow and clunky with bland copy and pasted enviroments, this is smooth and fast with gorgeously designed enviroments.

Zafir

BlazingDarkness said:
Haha oh wow, did
Desiree

Heh, that doesn't surprise me. xD

BlazingDarkness said:
Is there a way I can go back to the Central area? It's all blocked off now since the explosions
Doesn't look like it... Maybe later in the story it gets cleared? It seems odd that they'd allow you to miss something like that...

Aeana said:
I would think that by the end of that event you should have a pretty good idea of what's going on even without that. The game definitely doesn't try to tip-toe around the issue.
Aye, I didn't make the connection with
Desiree
though

I've just arrived in
Satorl Marsh
it looks amazing, and the music is great too :O

BlazingDarkness said:

I don't know if you need to. I may be wrong but I think the Collectopedia pick ups are random when you go over a blue icon. Time may affect it but I don't think location does.

Zafir

Die Squirrel Die said:
I don't know if you need to. I may be wrong but I think the Collectopedia pick ups are random when you go over a blue icon. Time may affect it but I don't think location does.
Yeah, but honestly, I didn't get either parts until the central area. I had gotten everything else, other than those 2 parts. I find it hard to believe that was just coincidence.

BlazingDarkness said:
I've just arrived in
Satorl Marsh
it looks amazing, and the music is great too :O
Yeah, it really is amazing. Everytime I got back to SM I immediately turn the clock to nighttime just so I can listen to the music and see everything light up.

Aeana

slaughterking said:
Yeah, it really is amazing. Everytime I got back to SM I immediately turn the clock to nighttime just so I can listen to the music and see everything light up.
And then get destroyed by the high level birds in every tree. (._. )

kiryogi

Banned
Aeana said:
And then get destroyed by the high level birds in every tree. (._. )
Haha I've been meaning to post that once I saw posts about the day/night time transition in the Marsh. That said though, the birds aren't aggro at least. . . Just don't go pissing them off lol. But I remember my first time it turned night there, seeing all that red scared the hell out of me.

Aeana

One of my major complaints with the game was how hard the game shoves the idea of Shulk + tank + healer into your head - even through story sequences! - and Shulk being a necessity due to his powers. So when you get access to more characters, you're faced with changing the entire way you play - unsure of whether it will even work - or just sticking with the same three you've always been using. I never did get comfortable with putting in one of the pure damage characters because I felt like they didn't really have a place in the party unless I took Shulk out, and that wasn't going to happen.

kiryogi

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
So you can't rock the game to completion with Shulk/Duban/Reyn? Aw, shoot!
Well.. Melia has magic which affects Mechon without having to topple, so she's really practical to have. Not to mention she has great AoE and the cheesiest move in the game. The team you mention has the flaw of mainly relying on either Monado Enchant or topples to deal with Mechon.

Aeana said:
One of my major complaints with the game was how hard the game shoves the idea of Shulk + tank + healer into your head - even through story sequences! - and Shulk being a necessity due to his powers. So when you get access to more characters, you're faced with changing the entire way you play - unsure of whether it will even work - or just sticking with the same three you've always been using. I never did get comfortable with putting in one of the pure damage characters because I felt like they didn't really have a place in the party unless I took Shulk out, and that wasn't going to happen.

This. Shulk is a must due to his Monado arts.

Varion said:
Sure you can, Shulk's Light Heal art is surprisingly decent if you level it up. I'm currently playing without a healer (Shulk Dunban Meria) and doing just fine.

That was my team for the longest time and Dunban was my main in that trio.

Varion

RPGCrazied said:
So you can't rock the game to completion with Shulk/Duban/Reyn? Aw, shoot!
Sure you can, Shulk's Light Heal art is surprisingly decent if you level it up. I'm currently playing without a healer (Shulk Dunban Meria) and doing just fine.

Varion

RPGCrazied said:
I noticed Shulk gets s healing art at the start of the game, does that not get upgraded?
Other than (obviously) you putting AP into it and levelling it up, that's it. He doesn't get any other healing arts or anything.

Aeana said:
Yeah, that's definitely true, but at some point I was experienced enough to feel comfortable while experimenting with my party and it worked out great so far. I may go back to the initial Shulk/Reyn/Sharla setup if I ever get stuck, though.

Aeana

weeaboo said:
Urgh!! The
Colony6 reconstruction
quest is going to be a pain in the ass without a wiki/guide
You can get hints from people in the colony, which really help. But yeah, it's a bit of a hunt for some of that stuff.

RPGCrazied

Varion said:

Awesome. :) I'll just see how far I can get with an all male team.

With spoiler tags, when do you have those 3 characters all together? Does anyone come and go throughout the story? I hate that.

CoolS

Wow, finally continued with the Story and the scenes after and involving the
Ether Mines
are just pure awesome. Got my theories about the
talking
Mechon and will see if they turn out to be true but after all the hints that just where given I'm pretty sure I got a lot of it figured out.

I really like the story so far, some will probably say that its a bit cliched (which I don't think it is) but the great thing about it is the universe it is set in and especially the characters. Bebpo was right on that, so far these are all very likable characters and noone is really stupid, except maybe Juju ^^

I wouldn't say the story is cliched per se, but the execution is. Some of the dialogue and cutscenes are a bit awkward.
However, I still like the story and characters. It has an outstanding setting and I dig the central conflict.

kizmah

Just spent my first 4 hours with the game and it rocks. Fluid battle system, amazing sense of scale and and pretty spectacular opening. Loving it so far.

Varion

RPGCrazied said:

With spoiler tags, when do you have those 3 characters all together? Does anyone come and go throughout the story? I hate that.
Far as I can remember (and certainly in my experience this time) when you get a character they don't generally leave for long, if at all. As for when you get Dunban (Reyn is with you from the start of the game)
end of the Gaur plains and its associated dungeons and just before you move on to the next major area. Can't suggest trying to get there as quickly as possible though, because if you're not L25ish by the end of the last boss before you get Dunban you're going to have problems.

Zafir

RPGCrazied said:

There is certain characters which you only get to use at certain points, yes.

kiryogi

Banned
Varion said:
Far as I can remember (and certainly in my experience this time) when you get a character they don't generally leave for long, if at all. As for when you get Dunban (Reyn is with you from the start of the game)
end of the Gaur plains and its associated dungeons and just before you move on to the next major area. Can't suggest trying to get there as quickly as possible though, because if you're not L25ish by the end of the last boss before you get Dunban you're going to have problems.
Yeah, despite what folks say about being overleveled or whatnot. There are certain points in the game where the curve will leap up a bit. Although, the biggest one is the near end game.

Funny though tho, there are folks asking for a code so that quests don't give you XP or 1/4 XP because they're so overleveled haha.

Aeana

slaughterking said:
I wouldn't say the story is cliched per se, but the execution is. Some of the dialogue and cutscenes are a bit awkward.
However, I still like the story and characters. It has an outstanding setting and I dig the central conflict.
Cutscene direction is trademark Monolith, for better or for worse. I'd say that I haven't really seen anything like it in a while, even if I'm sure we all got sick of it after Xenogears and the Xenosaga games.

Top Bottom