• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Varion

kiryogi said:
Yeah, despite what folks say about being overleveled or whatnot. There are certain points in the game where the curve will leap up a bit. Although, the biggest one is the near end game.

Funny though tho, there are folks asking for a code so that quests don't give you XP or 1/4 XP because they're so overleveled haha.
Hah, yeah, it's usually the other way round. That said I'm really looking forward to one of those points, as right now I am one of those overlevelled people. Got to the level where I can go back to the L37-9ish enemies in Colony 9 and get killed there at least.

Zafir said:
When characters have rejoined my party they tend to be at the same level as everyone else.
Yep, whether a character's active in reserve or not in your party at all they all get the same amount of EXP. Which is awesome.

Oxx

I just spent about an hour running (and swimming) around the opening area. And gained 3 levels in the process. Good stuff.

Reveirg

Is there anyway to play with the CC without connecting it to the wiimote?

It's kind of annoying to have the wiimote hanging besides me...

Caelus

Reveirg said:

Nope, it needs the Wiimote's batteries.

I always put it on a table in front of me or hide it in the pillows of my couch.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Reveirg said:

Nope.

Zafir

RPGCrazied said:
What does that mean?

So out of the 7 characters, which do you keep the whole game?
I meant it more like the opening which you've probably already seen. Where you use
Dunban, Dickson and Mumkar
. Meaning there's technically more than 7. But yeah, you should really find out for yourself as you play through the game.

Aeana said:
One of my major complaints with the game was how hard the game shoves the idea of Shulk + tank + healer into your head - even through story sequences! - and Shulk being a necessity due to his powers. So when you get access to more characters, you're faced with changing the entire way you play - unsure of whether it will even work - or just sticking with the same three you've always been using. I never did get comfortable with putting in one of the pure damage characters because I felt like they didn't really have a place in the party unless I took Shulk out, and that wasn't going to happen.
i switch out shulk all the time when his monado is not needed. AI shulk sucks, he just uses buster while the rest are hitting 1 damage.

Got to the start of
Makna Forest
after my short stay in
Satorl Marsh
although I did go back and do some sidequests for the cute little Nopon merchants. I did go back to Colony 6 to try and increase my affinity with the zone, but I just seemed to be stuck with the same old quests so I don't think I got very far. Level 30 now, but I feel that might be a little on the low side for this new area so I'll be treading cautiously.

Story:
The Bionis interior was a strange, short area. Given the scale of the area and lack of enemies I was expecting a boss battle, but nothing came. Seems I was on the right track about the Faced Mechon being created and by the controlled to some extent, seemingly by the High Entia, or at least a faction of them. It looked as though Melia was fighting a Telethia as well?
Some crazy shenanigans going on right now. I want answers!

This game is really epic, usually I don't care about characters (unless it's a FF game) but I'm totally into this. The characters and story are great so far, it doesn't seem to be the usual JRPG storyline so far, at least.

Does anyone else have this problem? When I push the left stick on the CC pro into the apex of the octagonal gate, my character does not move straight forward, rather forward and to the right. Is there some way to re-calibrate this? Is my CC pro borked? Note: this is a black CC pro purchased before the game.

pancakesandsex said:
Does anyone else have this problem? When I push the left stick on the CC pro into the apex of the octagonal gate, my character does not move straight forward, rather forward and to the right. Is there some way to re-calibrate this? Is my CC pro borked? Note: this is a black CC pro purchased before the game.

If you touched the stick when turning the console on it can happen sometimes, I don't have any problems with mine.

PumpkinPie said:
If you touched the stick when turning the console on it can happen sometimes, I don't have any problems with mine.

I'm pretty sure it's not that, because the exact same level of "sway" is present on multiple boots.

Reveirg

I'm almost done with El Shaddai. I need to play an ugly (read: old) game before Xenoblade arrives, or I fear the graphics will look really disappointing.

Threads of Fate of Legend of Mana? XD

Hopefully Xenoblade arrives monday...

Reveirg said:
I'm almost done with El Shaddai. I need to play an ugly (read: old) game before Xenoblade arrives, or I fear the graphics will look really disappointing.

Threads of Fate of Legend of Mana? XD

Hopefully Xenoblade arrives monday...
Threads of Fate.....

Legend of Mana still looks gorgeous I think. The artstyle helps it hold up really well.

wsippel

Banned
CruxisMana said:
Got to the start of
Makna Forest
after my short stay in
Satorl Marsh
although I did go back and do some sidequests for the cute little Nopon merchants. I did go back to Colony 6 to try and increase my affinity with the zone, but I just seemed to be stuck with the same old quests so I don't think I got very far. Level 30 now, but I feel that might be a little on the low side for this new area so I'll be treading cautiously.

Story:
The Bionis interior was a strange, short area. Given the scale of the area and lack of enemies I was expecting a boss battle, but nothing came. Seems I was on the right track about the Faced Mechon being created and by the controlled to some extent, seemingly by the High Entia, or at least a faction of them. It looked as though Melia was fighting a Telethia as well?
Some crazy shenanigans going on right now. I want answers!
Look at the map for that area. Notice something? ;)

Aeana said:
One of my major complaints with the game was how hard the game shoves the idea of Shulk + tank + healer into your head - even through story sequences! - and Shulk being a necessity due to his powers. So when you get access to more characters, you're faced with changing the entire way you play - unsure of whether it will even work - or just sticking with the same three you've always been using. I never did get comfortable with putting in one of the pure damage characters because I felt like they didn't really have a place in the party unless I took Shulk out, and that wasn't going to happen.

That's kinda what I came here to post. Has anyone been using
Dunban
? I can't imagine the party will be nearly as useful without a tank or a healer, arguably the two most important elements of a good party in any role-playing videogame. But that's exactly what using
Dunban
entails.

I really want to use him because he's such a badass character, but I can't bring myself to do it yet.

xtrasauce said:
Dunban
? I can't imagine the party will be nearly as useful without a tank or a healer, arguably the two most important elements of a good party in any role-playing videogame. But that's exactly what using
Dunban
entails.

I really want to use him because he's such a badass character, but I can't bring myself to do it yet.
Dunban
is currently my main character. He's a lot of fun since he is so fast and his Arts cooldown is very low. I haven't had any problems so far, even though that may be because I am a little overleveled.

Varion

xtrasauce said:
Dunban
Dunban
entails.

Dunban is an amazing character. His agility (which determines if you dodge or hit enemies, and is the main stat that gets crippled when enemies are higher level than you) is really high by default and can be maxed out thanks to his skills, he has some great arts, excellent damage (thanks to a unique enemy drop he has the strongest attack in my party right now), and yeah, he's a cool character. Give him some agility gems and good equipment and on most enemies he doesn't even need healing that much because they miss a lot. Nothing like getting a future vision of a powerful attack going to be used on him and the game telling you that it's going to miss.

wsippel said:
You didn't notice that tunnel you can't reach? The area is actually much larger, you only see a small corridor hat that point.

Ahh. I did notice that, but I thought you might have meant something different.

xtrasauce said:
Dunban
Dunban
entails.

He's my main atm yes
He has topple so he's essentially acting as a replacement for
Reyn

Suzzopher

I bought a shiny new XBOX 360 s yesterday, spent the whole weekend playing this instead.

Now this is exactly the game I needed and wanted. So many side quests to complete and such a huge world <3

Thanks for the responses to my
Dunban
question folks. Follow-up question for people using him as their main, do you switch to Shulk for boss battles? Seems like you'd have to be in control of the Monado for those?

Also, another question. I just entered
Makna Forest
for the first time, am I at a point in the game where I have access to the special item that permits upgrading Arts past the fourth level? If so where can I find it? Thanks.

xtrasauce said:
Makna Forest
for the first time, am I at a point in the game where I have access to the special item that permits upgrading Arts past the fourth level? If so where can I find it? Thanks.

You have to buy manuals from merchants in order to unlock the next upgrades.

Different merchants sell different manuals so you'll need to do some backtracking in order to find the ones you want. The merchant in Colony 9 sells some good ones.

xtrasauce said:
Thanks for the responses to my
Dunban
question folks. Follow-up question for people using him as their main, do you switch to Shulk for boss battles? Seems like you'd have to be in control of the Monado for those?
Yeah, that's how I do it. I don't trust the AI with the Monado.

xtrasauce said:
Makna Forest
Yeah, you can do this since Colony 9 actually. :p
Go to any merchant and buy "lectures". Every merchant has a different selection of lectures, so you have to check all of them out to upgrade all your skills.

Wow, I'm an idiot haha. Thanks guys, heading back to
Colony 9.

(btw you know a game is great when I am excited about backtracking all the way to the starting zone)

Zwei

The Int3rsect said:
It'd be nice if I could teleport to Europe and buy my copy.

Yeah, why isn't there a way to make this happen yet? It's 2011, ffs. IT'S THE FUCKING FUTURE!

...and I want my Xenoblade now :(

xtrasauce said:
Wow, I'm an idiot haha. Thanks guys, heading back to
Colony 9.

(btw you know a game is great when I am excited about backtracking all the way to the starting zone)

Have a good look around for new quests too :)

hatchx

Banned
I'm on the total fence for this title. Someone convince me. Between modding my wii and importing, I need justification that this game is THAT good.

bubnbob

Banned
I'm at
Prison Island

How far is this? Thanks. I feel like I'm about to reach the "half way point" or at least "the end of Act 1"

Top Bottom