• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

CoolS

hatchx said:
I'm on the total fence for this title. Someone convince me. Between modding my wii and importing, I need justification that this game is THAT good.

It just is that good, lives up to the hype completely and I haven't read a single bad impression in this thread so far. That's all from me :)

hatchx said:
I'm on the total fence for this title. Someone convince me. Between modding my wii and importing, I need justification that this game is THAT good.
Modding is very easy if you follow the instructions, and it costs the same to import as if it came out here. Don't let those be deterrents.

Initially I wasn't too hyped over Xenoblade, but the EU release reviews and impressions convinced me to get it. I bought the CC pro version at a big electronics chain store, Media Markt, today. I expected it to be chucked discretely between the rest of the Wii games, but they actually made a special spot for it at the end of the Wii aisle. Didn't get the impression it's selling like hot cakes, they had plenty of copies.

UltimateIke said:
Modding is very easy if you follow the instructions, and it costs the same to import as if it came out here. Don't let those be deterrents.

Concurred. Just modded my Wii today with SD card. Crazy easy and i've been going apeshit with emulators all day! (I own the games I play btw)

Amalthea

Banned
This game, this fucking game. God damn is it awesome!

You Americans should really hate NoA for holding this back (not OP Rainfall-style hate, much stronger hate in every case).

mclem

Phew. Just done all the timed quests I can find at the
Refugee camp on Gaur Plains
. Are there any two-star ones? If not, I think I can finally proceed with the story.

Chanser

hatchx said:

If the Edge review doesn't convince you, then nothing will.

I don't think I've ever even finished a JRPG (...except M&L:piT), but I'd made up my mind to get this a long time ago. I figured I'd wait for the inevitable drop in price.

However I spent some time yesterday reading some reviews, after which I said 'screw it', and promptly ordered it.

Speevy

Banned
I can't wait to play Xenoblade if it's that good.

I've only enjoyed Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles from this gen's RPG crop.

RPGCrazied

The_Technomancer said:
I ended up shipping it to my hometown since I'll be in between apartments during the shipping window. Here's hoping all the timing works out.

Good luck with the wait. :p I'm not waiting so well, lol.

ronito

My God. I had high expectations for this game. So far it's surpassed them all (although I'll admit faces are a little weird). Just at the beginning but I haven't started a game like this in ages.

Stupid question. But after you get the "quest completed" window for getting enough of the required items, am I imagining things or do you not have to go back to the quest giver? If so that's a very nice touch.

McNum

ronito said:
My God. I had high expectations for this game. So far it's surpassed them all (although I'll admit faces are a little weird). Just at the beginning but I haven't started a game like this in ages.

Stupid question. But after you get the "quest completed" window for getting enough of the required items, am I imagining things or do you not have to go back to the quest giver? If so that's a very nice touch.
You don't have to return with the items. And yes, it's a nice touch. There are a lot of those in the game. Like the ability to set the time of day at any time you want to.

Varion

ronito said:

Vast majority of the time you don't. There's the odd one which requires reporting to the quest giver, but the majority of the time you don't, it just completes and you get the reward.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Varion said:
Vast majority of the time you don't. There's the odd one which requires reporting to the quest giver, but the majority of the time you don't, it just completes and you get the reward.
What is your avatar from?

Alrus

ronito said:

Yeah only few quests require you to go back to the quest giver. Rest of them complete themselves when you kill the require monsters/get the required in them. Awesome system! (Now I won't be able to play any MMOs because they won't have this system in place :( )

I have the creeping suspicion that the lack of a bottomless inventory will annoy me to no end.

I'm so used to the Dragon Quests, where you can just stuff everything in your bag and not have to worry. I don't like the idea of being out in the field and not being able to pick up loot because my inventory is full, or selling a weapon or armor that I may need later for a future character.

Even if there's a lot of space, I have a feeling it will start to fill up quickly if I'm out and about...

Alrus

SecretMoblin said:
Even if there's a lot of space, I have a feeling it will start to fill up quickly if I'm out and about...

Haven't encountered any issues with inventory right now. I make sure I get rid of junk every time I'm near a shop though. Quick travel also make it pretty easy to go back and forth when you realize you're gonna be full. (Actually the game would have been a total chore without that function, I'm really glad it's there).

wrowa

SecretMoblin said:
I've played more than 15 hous now, and I did every side quest I possibly could -- and I've never sold a single item so far. The inventory is still not even filled up half.

Also, most of the items aren't meant to be stockpiled. You have the collectary for that. The rest is supposed to be sold.

I just went back to
Daksha shrine
and slaughtered that
spider boss
feels good going back to early areas and dealing the pain ;D
Got some nice drops off it too

Plumpman

Anyone having troubles importing to the US lately? Both Zavvi and Game didn't work for me (couldn't complete the order). Was wondering if anyone knew what was up?

This game looks fantastic, but I can't seem to get my hands on it!

kunonabi

I decided to check my bank account just now and I got a bit of a surprise. The money I owed on my credit card was much higher than I remembered so I decided to take a look at my history. I had a 90 dollar charge from amazon.de.

I had preordered the Xenoblade bundle months ago but when they wouldn't ship the One Piece games to me I thought they didn't ship to the US at all and I figured they wouldn't ship Xenoblade to me either. According to the site the item is in transit and headed to my current address. I should be seeing it on the sixth. This all just moments after being outbid on ebay where I would be spending well over a hundred bucks for it.

Lucky me.

BlazingDarkness said:
I just went back to
Daksha shrine
and slaughtered that
spider boss

What level is/was it?

All this talk of
spider ambushes
is making me afraid to venture anywhere.

:lol

RPGCrazied said:
:lol. We need to start a fan club for people waiting on getting the game.

I feel your pain. At this point your hype level seems ridiculously high. Are you worried your expectations will not be met? I know I was, but turns mine were all met. Then again, I guess I just raised yours even higher by saying that.

RPGCrazied

xtrasauce said:
I feel your pain. At this point your hype level seems ridiculously high. Are you worried your expectations will not be met? I know I was, but turns mine were all met. Then again, I guess I just raised yours even higher by saying that.

It can't get any higher. Everyone says that, what happens if I won't like the game? That can't happen. Its the best jRPG this gen. The genre I play most. I loved looking at all the screenshots and videos of the game.

Do you have the game, in the US, and waiting on a copy?

LevityNYC

Banned
Are the people complaining about being overleveled doing every single side quest?

Personally I prefer overleveling in a game like this compared to Oblivion where your enemies level with you.

FreeMufasa

Can't wait till we see the sales figures tommorow. Expecting a top 10 position.

And whenever I hear "It's the best RPG this gen", It doesnt really mean much. Where would it rank with last gen RPGs?

SecretMoblin said:
I have the creeping suspicion that the lack of a bottomless inventory will annoy me to no end.

I'm so used to the Dragon Quests, where you can just stuff everything in your bag and not have to worry. I don't like the idea of being out in the field and not being able to pick up loot because my inventory is full, or selling a weapon or armor that I may need later for a future character.

It's not much of an issue, i filled up my inventory when i was out in the field and if it's full you get the option to dip into your inventory and drop stuff to make room for new loot

And of course you can always fast travel to sell your junk

Salih said:
It just started raining and thundering in the Gaur Plains.
my gawd ... so beautiful! *_*

Ooh, speaking of which (quest spoiler in the plains)

I'm trying to find a unique that appears in the plains during a thunderstorm near the big lake (can't remember the name). Whereabouts in that area is it? I've been waiting ages for a storm and I can't find it :(

CoolS

HiddenAway said:

I'm trying to find a unique that appears in the plains during a thunderstorm near the big lake (can't remember the name). Whereabouts in that area is it? I've been waiting ages for a storm and I can't find it :(

Had the same problem. It's on the island in the middle of the lake, but you have to make sure it's actually a storm and not just rain.

HiddenAway said:

On the island. I waited there for ages but it never rained... after having rained all day yesterday when I played.

^beaten.

Antagon

BlazingDarkness said:
I just went back to
Daksha shrine
and slaughtered that
spider boss

Where exactly is that? As far as I can see I've explored the entire plains outside of some high lvl parts and haven't found it yet. Need to go there for a quest.

zoukka

Amneisac said:
Serious question, if this really sells that well in Europe, won't NoA likely bring it to the USA eventually?

They should.

It was immediately sold out in my backwoods town at least :b

JerkShep said:
Someone knows where Windy Cave is on the Bionis' Leg? I need to fo there for a quest but I haven't found it yet
Go over Raguel bridge and keep going north east, take a right at the fork in the road

HiddenAway said:

You can find him sitting on the round island in the northern half of the lake

Antagon said:
Where exactly is that? As far as I can see I've explored the entire plains outside of some high lvl parts and haven't found it yet. Need to go there for a quest.

You can find the shrine, by heading east from Kamos Guidepost to Viliera Hill and from there travel north east a short distance until you reach a pathed passageway

CoolS said:
Had the same problem. It's on the island in the middle of the lake, but you have to make sure it's actually a storm and not just rain.

Thank you very much. I'll get there when I get back to the game :)

I'm spending far too long on sidequests...

Top Bottom