• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Boogybro

Sadist said:
Damn the Reyn haters

His accent is boss

People are hating on Reyn? 10 Hours in and I'd say his is one of the better voices so far.

And yeah, a Xenoblade 2 on Wii U makes too much sense. After all the accolades this is receiving, getting it green lit should be a lot easier.

Midou

I like the british voice acting, but at least in the opening scene (with dunban, 1 year ago, etc), the lip sync seemed to be completely japanese with no adjustment for the english voice acting, this made me switch to Japanese.

A sequel on the Wii U would indeed be awesome, I'm about 12 hours in, and loving it a ton.

Everything feels great, no pointless backtracking, excellent music, combat is fun with no generic classes, huge open world to explore and a ton of collectibles, story that is genuinely interesting. Only thing thats frustrated me slightly was some monster drop quests (like killing 4 frogs, getting 4 of the 5 frog drop quest items you need, in a row, then having to kill 20 more frogs to get the 5th one, bad luck, but still), and sometimes I run up and down a location where a "boss" monster is supposed to be like 5 or 6 times before I find it, probably my fault, but with such huge environments its easy for things to hide. :p

Midou said:
I like the british voice acting, but at least in the opening scene (with dunban, 1 year ago, etc), the lip sync seemed to be completely japanese with no adjustment for the english voice acting, this made me switch to Japanese.

The voice acting isn't particularly synced with the Japanese audio either...

Midou

CruxisMana said:
The voice acting isn't particularly synced with the Japanese audio either...

This is probably true, but when its subtitled I read subtitles more than lips, when its dubbed, I look at the character talking. I guess its just tricking myself, but its a habit from over a decade of anime and the likes.

sphinx

the piano man
I find it quite silly how the how the whole internet is raving and rejoicing with the coming of xenoblade as if it was just released in north america. I would like to know how many of the people posting here are in the US or Canada.

By the look of things, I think NA is a lot more hyped than Europe for this game.

This looks like a really good game, and I live in the UK, so I can easily pick it up. But my backlog is so big, new RPG's have a very low priority by default, on account of them eating up way too much time, and I already have a ton of RPG's to get around to.

Skyrim will be the only exception to this rule.

MYE

sphinx said:
I find it quite silly how the how the whole internet is raving and rejoicing with the coming of xenoblade as if it was just released in north america. I would like to know how many of the people posting here are in the US or Canada.

By the look of things, I think NA is a lot more hyped than Europe for this game.

Its still early. Many euro gamers are still waiting for their copies, me included.

Alrus

sphinx said:

The game is apparently selling quite well in store and on Amazon (at least in france and it was decently ranked in the UK), Americans have no way to order or buy from those place...

Jrpg are still quite popular in mainland europe by the way...

wrowa

sphinx said:

Is there a single American person in this thread who already has his copy of Xenoblade?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
So I've been playing Xenoblade, my most anticipated game for almost almost 2 years now, for about 8 hours and it has not yet let me down. It was well-worth the import shipping.

However, I was wondering... How much better is the Classic controller compared to the Wiimote? I've found managing the camera to be somewhat aggravating when playing with the Wiimote. Should I go purchase the Classic Controller Pro? $19.99 is not horribly expensive, although this would be the only game I will probably ever use it for.

Also, has anyone noticed a huge difference when using the Wii component cables for the game?

Just wondering : How do they put so many 2d grass in the plains ?

IIRC FF13 a a simple texture on the ground. (With occasional grass?)

ibm3wl.jpg

1312152565.jpg

Makes the world feel so much real !

sublimit

Banned
sphinx said:

Not really.I'm in the EU and still waiting for my copy from amazon.Hopefully i'll get it around wednesday...

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
InsertNameHere said:
Woah, who did you order from and where do you live?

Ordered it from shoprto as soon as it was available for pre-order. I live in Miami, Florida. I don't understand why more people don't have it yet stateside if they pre-oredered it.

RPGCrazied

That gives me hope at least, a copy finally made it overseas. I was thinking they were keeping the game at customs and playing for themselves. >_<

sublimit

Banned
JonStark said:
Just wondering : How do they put so many 2d grass in the plains ?

IIRC FF13 a a simple texture on the ground. (With occasional grass?)

Makes the world feel so much real !

Didn't FFXII also had a lot more actual grass than FFXIII?

sphinx

the piano man
UltimaKilo said:
Ordered it from shoprto as soon as it was available for pre-order. I live in Miami, Florida. I don't understand why more people don't have it yet stateside if they pre-oredered it.

woah, your site is banned here. I wonder why is that. but congrats for having the game.

Zafir

sphinx said:
woah, your site is banned here. I wonder why is that. but congrats for having the game.
They had a credit card leak a few years back. Since then they've been fine though. Plus there's an option to use paypal anyway, meaning they won't even have your card details.
RPGCrazied said:
Other than jaggies, does the game have any technical problems?
When you teleport to landmarks you get some model popping. It's mainly noticable when you teleport to a town. Also when you first load the game up, theres a delay if you want to open the menu up straight away. Other than those I can't really think of anything, not to mention they're rather minor anyway.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm having trouble with the side quests in Juju's camp, I've completed some but the NPCs I got them from aren't there during the day or the night to finalise them...

Like, the one about the book for example, all I'm supposed to do now is talk to the original quest giver but she's nowhere to be seen at any time of day I've checked...

Some of these quests (including the example one) are timed (I think, they have a clock next to them), is it possible they expired before I found the NPCs or something?

RPGCrazied said:
Low polycounts, blob shadows and blurry textures. That's about it. You've seen it in screenshots. There's the occasional very brief loading too.

Enemies and NPCs also show up visibly once you get close enough but that's usually a fair distance away and they fade in smoothly so it's not annoying. The effect is similar to Shenmue but in that game the characters showed up way too close to you sometimes, I've not seen that happen in Xenoblade.

Environment wise I'm really happy with the LOD. You can only notice subtle LOD changes here and there and it's not annoying at all. I hate pop-in in PC games like The Witcher 2 or Crysis so despite the SD graphics I prefer the mostly smooth look with little pop-in of Xenoblade honestly. Though the low res blur may be hiding some of it.

RPGCrazied said:

Some weak character model, and very little lip sync, apart from that : almost fully streamed (occasional loading), 1 frame teleport, no, it's a technical gem for the wii.

Landscape textures may not be as polished a MH3, but as they are dozen of times bigger...

Alexios

Quote said:
You can jump in this game. Japan is progressing in game development for the first time in years.
You can't jump in tons of Western RPGs either, classic and modern alike. I can only think of Bethesda's games and the various Euro-RPGs like Gothic. No jumping in Dragon Age.

RPGCrazied

Thanks for the answers. Now back to my prayer chanting for it to be in my mailbox tomorrow. :p

Did the Lets Play video stop? Only been 2 so far.

Alexios

RPGCrazied said:
Thanks for the answers. Now back to my prayer chanting for it to be in my mailbox tomorrow. :p

There are four, check back in the channel.

CoolS

RPGCrazied said:

Its been 4 last I checked (yesterday)

Zafir

Alextended said:
I'm having trouble with the side quests in Juju's camp, I've completed some but the NPCs I got them from aren't there during the day or the night to finalise them...

Like, the one about the book for example, all I'm supposed to do now is talk to the original quest giver but she's nowhere to be seen at any time of day I've checked...

Some of these quests (including the example one) are timed (I think, they have a clock next to them), is it possible they expired before I found the NPCs or something?

Low polycounts, blob shadows and blurry textures. That's about it. You've seen it in screenshots. There's the occasional very brief loading too.

Enemies and NPCs also show up visibly once you get close enough but that's usually a fair distance away and they fade in smoothly so it's not annoying. The effect is similar to Shenmue but in that game the characters showed up way too close to you sometimes, I've not seen that happen in Xenoblade.

Environment wise I'm really happy with the LOD. You can only notice subtle LOD changes here and there and it's not annoying at all. I hate pop-in in PC games like The Witcher 2 or Crysis so despite the SD graphics I prefer the mostly smooth look with little pop-in of Xenoblade honestly. Though the low res blur may be hiding some of it.
It isn't just day and night which affects them, it's also the time itself. For example I know certain NPCs wouldn't show up in the spot unless it was morning-early afternoon .

Eitherway that woman is always sitting at the table just as you walk in the camp. So just keep swapping time until she appears.

Antagon

Zafir said:
It isn't just day and night which affects them, it's also the time itself. For example I know certain NPCs wouldn't show up in the spot unless it was morning-early afternoon .

Eitherway that woman is always sitting at the table just as you walk in the camp. So just keep swapping time until she appears.

You can use your affinity chart to check for the time at which people appear. Only works for named people obviously.

Alextended said:
You can't jump in tons of Western RPGs either, classic and modern alike. I can only think of Bethesda's games and the various Euro-RPGs like Gothic. No jumping in Dragon Age.
Yeah except in those games if you could I wouldn't have said "WHOA AWESOME!!!!!" out loud like I literally did once I got to Colony 9. It's surprising, I can't be the only one that found it unusual and exciting. I mean, the jumping isn't even all that useful and kind of broken looking but still unexpected.

Zafir

Antagon said:
You can use your affinity chart to check for the time at which people appear. Only works for named people obviously.
Yeah I know that. Can't check for that quest giver though because I didn't know whether the time changed when she moves later.

Thinking about importing this...how is it on Dolphin? I have a core 3 ghz i5, 8gb ram, and a 5870. Would I be able to run it? The wii is my room mates and i'd rather not use it.

kiryogi said:
See the guide I posted :D

Breakdown:

Dunban out does Reyn in terms of pure damage.
Melia is THE ether power house.
Riki is just wrong and is the most damaging char in the game melee wise. Super fast recharge on his arts.
And then there's also the final character, who's also a major powerhouse.
It's sad but Karna/Reyn just end up on backburner once all these chars are in play
riki is ridiculously powerful from the get-go. riki does all the work, sidekicks take all the credits while making fun of the mighty riki.

Dragon

Banned
You can jump to a specific spot in the game's world or is it more like FFX's Airship where you just have designated spots?

Antagon

TheBranca18 said:
You can jump to a specific spot in the game's world or is it more like FFX's Airship where you just have designated spots?

Every area in the game has a couple of landmarks, you can fast travel to any of these. There's enough of them to never have to walk too far.

kiryogi

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
You can jump to any landmark you've been to. And there's tons of of them all over the place. The quick travel system is amazing.

WHOAguitarninja said:
Thinking about importing this...how is it on Dolphin? I have a core 3 ghz i5, 8gb ram, and a 5870. Would I be able to run it? The wii is my room mates and i'd rather not use it.
i5 2.8 running almost perfectly. maybe 1 or 2 cut-scenes slowed down a bit.

Top Bottom