• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

bubnbob said:
1. I never looked at any media for the game

2. Just looking at it, you can't tell if that is enemy or friend

Why would
S P O I L E R S P O I L E R Fiorun S P O I L E R S P O I L E R
be an enemy?
Anyway, I finally defeated the first (?) 異端審問間, I had to revise my strategy to suit my leader's arts.

kiryogi

Banned
At first she is! Haha, that said the more amusing thing is how comparable she is to Xenosaga's KOS-MOS. Even has an X Buster style art! Kouli sorta spoils her in that topic I linked by vaguely referring to her with the "X-BUSTEEEER" comment haha.

It's too bad the AI is not smart enough to use the Monado right. I was just in Makna Forest
fighting against the boss and AI-controlled Shulk refused to disable its aura. I was essentially fighting for 15 minutes without doing any damage. I then lost the fight on purpose and retried with Shulk as the MC, which made this battle a matter of three minutes.

And it's weird, too, because the AI is really smart otherwise. Sharla, for example, always uses damage immunity on my tank as soon as a battle starts. And they seem to handle the Break/Topple/Daze mechanic really well, too.

Hi2u

Banned
Do the menus take a couple seconds to load for you guys too? Like the items or equip screen doesn't just appear instantly there's a small delay. This normal?

Also I got it hooked up to speakers but can't really notice the surround sound in it..like i dont hear the waterfall in rear speakers if its behind me..is it pro logic II? Does it support surround sound or is it just in stereo?

bubnbob

Banned
Lord Ghirahim said:
Why would
S P O I L E R S P O I L E R Fiorun S P O I L E R S P O I L E R
be an enemy?
Anyway, I finally defeated the first (?) 異端審問間, I had to revise my strategy to suit my leader's arts.

How would I know that is even who that is? Does Nintendo anywhere specifically say HEY THIS IS THAT PERSON!!!!!

ramyeon

I caved and impulse bought it on GAME last night with the CCP. I haven't played a new JRPG since the Persona games on PS2 came out and my Wii has been collecting dust for oh so long. I think this game alone is going to justify the purchase of my Wii.

bubnbob said:
How would I know that is even who that is? Does Nintendo anywhere specifically say HEY THIS IS THAT PERSON!!!!!

The suit makes it pretty clear, and then
her death
made it even more obvious.

That's enough for me tonight, I've got 37 hours on the clock, and just scratching the surface of Makna Forest
I swam right up to the massive waterfalls and found a key item, and a secret landmark further down, and now just crossed the bridge

I'm still in Colony 9 waiting to get the Ether from the mine, 'cause I'm trying to get as much as subquests I can. Man, I don't know how many times I got around the entire town.
I wish that the relationship screen would show when a new dialogue/quest was available...
The relationships between named characters are still maxable as the story progresses, or I should try to max them as soon as possible? I know that some "unnamed" subquests will disappear after certain events (I don't think it's hard to imagine what kind of events) and I hope it's not the case with those related to the relationship tree.

FreeMufasa

Hi2u said:
Do the menus take a couple seconds to load for you guys too? Like the items or equip screen doesn't just appear instantly there's a small delay. This normal?

Also I got it hooked up to speakers but can't really notice the surround sound in it..like i dont hear the waterfall in rear speakers if its behind me..is it pro logic II? Does it support surround sound or is it just in stereo?

Do you have the game installed?

gdt

Quick question, dunno if it belongs here.

Okay, I'm ready to dip my toe into modding my Wii to do all that cool stuff. I already have an external HD, but I can't find an extra SD card. I have one in my MP3 player (it's 8 gigs), but I need it there. I was hoping I could use it, then put it right back. The SD card, does it always have to be in the Wii, or is it a one time use thing? I'd like to get started now, if not I'll just order one off amazon and wait.

NIN90

I played around 3 hours (got to that cave where i have to fetch some ether crystals or something) and I'm not really feeling it to be honest. Everything about it reminds me of an MMO, just offline. The combat system, dozens of quests mostly consisting of "Kill x amount of y! Gather some of that!" and the fucking jumping. Seriously, that jumping animation just has to be straight from some obscure MMO.

I suppose it's too early to dismiss the game though it'll no doubt be placed on the backburner.

gdt5016 said:

Okay, I'm ready to dip my toe into modding my Wii to do all that cool stuff. I already have an external HD, but I can't find an extra SD card. I have one in my MP3 player (it's 8 gigs), but I need it there. I was hoping I could use it, then put it right back. The SD card, does it always have to be in the Wii, or is it a one time use thing? I'd like to get started now, if not I'll just order one off amazon and wait.
The SD card has to remain in your Wii to use a backup loader, load ROMs for emulators, etc.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Chuck said:
The SD card has to remain in your Wii to use a backup loader, load ROMs for emulators, etc.
If you were really hurting for cash, you could technically enable region free via StartPatch and then you wouldn't the the card anymore. But there's so much nice homebrew stuff you can do with a card (including USB loading). It's really part of an ideal setup to leave one in there..

wrowa

BocoDragon said:
If you were really hurting for cash, you could technically enable region free via StartPatch and then you wouldn't the the card anymore. But there's so much nice homebrew stuff you can do with a card (including USB loading). It's really part of an ideal setup to leave one in there..
It's also way more secure to just use Gecko or a Loader.

bubnbob

Banned
gdt5016 said:

SD cards are like $2 for 64MB (well more than enough to run Homebrew)

BocoDragon

Marrshu said:
And Gecko is Risk Free. StartPatch can potentially brick your Wii if you pick any of the other options in it.
Potentially. It probably won't though. I've toggled all those options on and off many times.

Gecko is more simple/reliable, true.

I just rip the games to USB, though.

BocoDragon

I don't get that whole "skill link" or whatever it's called where you can link up one character's skill tree abilities to another character... How does that work?

BocoDragon said:
I don't get that whole "skill link" or whatever it's called where you can link up one character's skill tree abilities to another character... How does that work?

You let one character use another character's skill of your liking. There are limitations and you need Affinity Coins too.

BocoDragon said:

You can link to any skill that another character has unlocked as long as it's the correct shape as the node that the 'linkee' has available.

Linking a skill costs a certain amount of Affinity Coins, with better skills costing my coins to link, so you may find that you may have to find a suitable combination of links.

Fomalhaut

Neo Member
RPGCrazied said:
Do you EU people sleep? :p
Sleep? Too busy playing Xenoblade!

jIeGj.png

bubnbob

Banned
BocoDragon said:

It's basically a way to borrow skills from your party members. You have to be bros with them to be allowed to borrow more. Skills require Affinity Coins, which are gained by level ups, or defeating Unique Monsters (with the cool music).

They do not need to be in the active party to borrow skills, so go nuts.

weeaboo

Holy crap, I think i just broke a chain of quests at Colony 9 with a bad decision. YES, there are decisions in some sidequest.

I gave the shield to the female soldier at Colony 9 who wanted to be the lieutenant. She lost a duel and now she's mad. Looks like she needed the sword instead of the shield, I must pay more attention :|

weeaboo said:
Holy crap, I think i just broke a chain of quests at Colony 9 with a bad decision. YES, there are decisions in some sidequest.

I gave the shield to the female soldier at Colony 9 who wanted to be the lieutenant. She lost a duel and now she's mad. Looks like she needed the sword instead of the shield, I must pay more attention :|

Out of interest
Where did you get the shield from?

Zafir

Sleep is for the weak!

My sleeping pattern has always been screwed. I never go to sleep before 2am. >.<

In other news, just got
Melia
. Woo.

dwu8991

Banned
NIN90 said:
I played around 3 hours (got to that cave where i have to fetch some ether crystals or something) and I'm not really feeling it to be honest. Everything about it reminds me of an MMO, just offline. The combat system, dozens of quests mostly consisting of "Kill x amount of y! Gather some of that!" and the fucking jumping. Seriously, that jumping animation just has to be straight from some obscure MMO.

I suppose it's too early to dismiss the game though it'll no doubt be placed on the backburner.

Yeah, when I was watching the Nintendo play videos you get the sense it is very MMO. That's whats putting me of from buying.

Alrus

xtrasauce said:
You mean the cooldown meter for each Art?

No it's the Big Art Button in the middle, that's the talent art. Small tip, read the ingame tutorial, it explains the mechanics quite well and provide tips that can be useful.

Top Bottom