• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I've been playing since I woke up. Took a break to eat lunch and sit out by the pool to get some sun. I'm pretty fried, but I still want more. I'm just over the 9 hour mark.

I should note for all those of you who are also in the U.S. that for some reason, the picture of the game doesn't look top-notch. I'm not sure if it's the USB loader or the Homebrew channel, but I suspect it's the latter.

pgtl_10

UltimaKilo said:
I've been playing since I woke up. Took a break to eat lunch and sit out by the pool to get some sun. I'm pretty fried, but I still want more. I'm just over the 9 hour mark.

I should note for all those of you who are also in the U.S. that for some reason, the picture of the game doesn't look top-notch. I'm not sure if it's the USB loader or the Homebrew channel, but I suspect it's the latter.

What do you mean?

UltimaKilo said:
Hmm, I meant the output video picture. I get screen-tearing and the colors aren't as vibrant as they should be. Then again, the screen starts to tear as soon as I enter the Homebrew channel, I'm not certain if that's normal.

I figure that forcing the game to play in NTSC could have something to do with it. It's a minor issue for playing the best game of the console generation.
My Homebrew Channel doesn't have any screen tearing. Maybe your Wii's video card is on its way out? Do you have problems with any games from your normal region?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
pgtl_10 said:
What do you mean?

Hmm, I meant the output video picture. I get screen-tearing and the colors aren't as vibrant as they should be. Then again, the screen starts to tear as soon as I enter the Homebrew channel, I'm not certain if that's normal.

I figure that forcing the game to play in NTSC could have something to do with it. It's a minor issue for playing the best game of the console generation.

RPGCrazied

UltimaKilo said:

I just can't believe your in the US and have a copy of the game! This might be the last time I do Zavvi.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
RPGCrazied said:
I just can't believe your in the US and have a copy of the game! This might be the last time I do Zavvi.

So impatient. When I get my copy before you I'm going to take a picture of it with a piece of paper that says "Haha RPGCrazied".

<3

B.K.

RPGCrazied said:

Maybe he pirated it. He never says that he owns it, but he does mention using a USB loader.

B.K. said:
Maybe he pirated it. He never says that he owns it, but he does mention using a USB loader.
Post #4469
UltimaKilo said:
Ordered it from shoprto as soon as it was available for pre-order. I live in Miami, Florida. I don't understand why more people don't have it yet stateside if they pre-oredered it.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
RPGCrazied said:

Maybe because I live at a major port city on the East Coast? Royal Mail ships quickly here. I had been waiting for this game for 2 years now - In reality, I've been waiting for 10 years. This is the rightful successor to Chrono Cross and Xenogears.

Sure, you can't go into houses/taverns and the lip-sync is horrid, but it was well worth the pre-order.

RPGCrazied

A Human Becoming said:
So impatient. When I get my copy before you I'm going to take a picture of it with a piece of paper that says "Haha RPGCrazied".

<3

Get in line! DMPrince wants to do that too. :p

B.K.

I wish NCSX would stock the game. Maybe someone will start selling it on Amazon like they are the Tactics Ogre premium edition.

Alrus said:
No it's the Big Art Button in the middle, that's the talent art. Small tip, read the ingame tutorial, it explains the mechanics quite well and provide tips that can be useful.

I read all the tutorials, but I guess I didn't remember that the middle Art was called Talent. There's a shitload of in-game lingo to learn, I find. Wish there was glossary for all the terms.

Vrakanox

Trying to Cancel my order with Zavvi because everyone says they are complete trash. Who should I order from to get my copy quickly?

Reveirg

UltimaKilo said:
This is the rightful successor to Chrono Cross and Xenogears.

Stop it!!! Too much hype! Argh!

I hope this doesn't turn out into one of these games many people seem to love but that for some reason, I can't get into them (i.e. Birth By Sleep, BK:Origins, etc.)

RPGCrazied

Vrakanox said:
Trying to Cancel my order with Zavvi because everyone says they are complete trash. Who should I order from to get my copy quickly?

I don't know about complete trash. They managed to ship my order a week before it came out. Of course I'm in the US, so still not having it after 7 days isn't that bad. Now if next Friday comes and I still don't have it, then yeah, I'll agree with you.

Aeana

Reveirg said:
Stop it!!! Too much hype! Argh!

I hope this doesn't turn out into one of these games many people seem to love but that for some reason, I can't get into them (i.e. Birth By Sleep, BK:Origins, etc.)
The game is really good but that's a pretty dumb comparison. The games are nothing alike.

dwu8991

Banned
Vrakanox said:

What happens is they tend to continue selling an out of stock item and tell you to wait 4-6 weeks for another restock. But they are the cheapest, so make sure you preorder!

They also got a very cheap MadCatz TvC Arcade stick for anyone that's interested.

Oh, and I've still got an awesome MvC3 t-shirt preoder bonus from them. Legends!!!

Diffense

UltimaKilo said:
Maybe because I live at a major port city on the East Coast? Royal Mail ships quickly here. I had been waiting for this game for 2 years now - In reality, I've been waiting for 10 years. This is the rightful successor to Chrono Cross and Xenogears.

Sure, you can't go into houses/taverns and the lip-sync is horrid, but it was well worth the pre-order.

I'm so jealous of you right now lol
But you give me hope that I'll get it on Monday.
I'm within 100 miles of New York City and my copy was dispatched last Tuesday.

Alrus

Dear god that Exile Fortress sidequest in the marshes doesn't fuck around...
The giant spider at the Shrine scared the hell out of me... Then the games throws THREE fucking Spider Queen at you??? I wasn't prepared for that >.>

And damn, that lizardman chief boss monster was really hard, had to retry at least 5 times before finding a good tactic. AI Shulk sucks :( (And having to spend one bar of the party gauge to make him use the correct monado art is a pain when the boss spams special skills :/)

Socreges

Banned
What are the towns like in this game? ie, are there any? Very few? That's always a big selling point for me with RPGs.

Clipper said:
Congratulations, you can use the easiest installation method, BannerBomb. The GWHT has you fully covered on how to get it and install. Just read through this page.

Edit: Sorry, ignore the above. I somehow misread your post as Firmware 4.2... You should upgrade the HBC and any of your homebrew using the tutorial before playing, just in case, but you won't have any trouble playing the game.
Would that method also work for Pikmin 2 NPC then? I'm looking to get both it and Xenoblade at the same time.

Socreges said:
What are the towns like in this game? ie, are there any? Very few? That's always a big selling point for me with RPGs.

Would that method also work for Pikmin 2 NPC then? I'm looking to get both it and Xenoblade at the same time.

There are very few towns and all but one of them are HUUUUUUUGE.

Aeana

Reveirg said:
I didn't mean to compare those games at all, except for their "hype status".
Sorry, I meant the person you quoted was silly to say such a thing. I should have replied to him; my bad. I think that people have been really poor at qualifying the reasons why they like the game, so they're quick to compare it to things that it shouldn't be compared to. It's been happening since the Japanese release, and that's the reason why I was cautioning people, telling them to please temper their expectations, because they might go into it expecting it to be something that it isn't.

Well, time to go to bed. I've played a ridiculous amount of time over the weekend, now at the 27 hours mark. This game owns me right now.

The next week or two are going to be crazy for me at work will lots of overtime, and I have a wedding next weekend. Damn. I'm gonna be like a recovering alcoholic.

Reveirg

Aeana said:
Sorry, I meant the person you quoted was silly to say such a thing. I should have replied to him; my bad. I think that people have been really poor at qualifying the reasons why they like the game, so they're quick to compare it to things that it shouldn't be compared to. It's been happening since the Japanese release, and that's the reason why I was cautioning people, telling them to please temper their expectations, because they might go into it expecting it to be something that it isn't.

Oh, no worries for the confusion, that makes sense.

Seeing all the praise though, I hope this indeed becomes a new classic, and that it's the beginning of a JRPG revival... I believe there's so much potential for this genre in HD, it just hasn't been fully tapped on yet.

-FFXIII achieved wonderful audio and visual presentation but lacked in other departments.
-NIER had a wonderful soundtrack, a fantastic story and some very interesting gameplay elements, but failed to please to many people due to its average graphics and some gameplay faults.
-Tales of Vesperia had fantastic gameplay, but its story and music weren't on par with older great RPGs.
etc. etc.

It just seems the talent is still there in the japanese industry, they just haven't succeeded in creating a game that's more than the sum of its parts, and that manages to please the hardcore gaming community.

On a personal level, I felt NIER was the closest to achieving this, but... well, I still can't seem to explain why it failed.

Let's hope Xenoblade IS that game!

BY2K

Membero Americo
So what's the opinion on Xenoblade? Good or bad? Because the Zelda Informer guy is bashing the hell out of that game. (I don't trust his opinion, but just making sure.)

Sophia

BY2K said:
So what's the opinion on Xenoblade? Good or bad? Because the Zelda Informer guy is bashing the hell out of that game. (I don't trust his opinion, but just making sure.)

RPG of the generation.

Clipper

Socreges said:
If your TV supports 480p and you have component cables, it should work. If not, then it is highly likely you'll only be able to play it in black and white or not all, but there is a chance it could still work.

Erekiddo

I had a dream that this arrived in my mail last night. For some reason, it was playable on both the Wii and Sega Game Gear.

My mom looked at me and said, "See! The Game Gear was a GREAT birthday present. You're still getting games for it!"

:|

Aeana

Clipper said:
If your TV supports 480p and you have component cables, it should work. If not, then it is highly likely you'll only be able to play it in black and white or not all, but there is a chance it could still work.
I've heard from others that forcing NTSC through USB Loader makes it work over composite.

Varion

Jazzy said:
Whats up with affinity and sidequests? I've done like 15-20 already and I'm still at 1 star. What gives?
There are just that many of them, so it takes a fair number to go up to the next star.

BY2K said:
It's a fantastic game that everyone who's tried it in this thread seems to love. If you're interested enough to ask then it's probably worth your time.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I can't believe my copy hasn't even begun to ship yet. I'm justa 365games.co.uk-orderin' fool. You guys waiting should just be grateful that your game is actually moving towards you.

BY2K said:
Zelda Informer

zmaz5k.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
UltimaKilo said:
Just so this doesn't turn into an annoying rumor:

The game works perfectly on NTSC American Wiis. Even off USB loaders.

It must be just your setup.

UltimaKilo said:
That's not normal.

Aeana said:
I've heard from others that forcing NTSC through USB Loader makes it work over composite.
Yeah it works fine on any arrangement of 480i/480p, composite, component, SDTV, HDTV, whatever.

It doesn't have any of the problems Pikmin 2 does.

Varion said:
It's a fantastic game that everyone who's tried it in this thread seems to love. If you're interested enough to ask then it's probably worth your time.
This. Xenoblade is an incredible game that earned my GOTY nod in 2010 and it will likely earn it again pending none of the x-factor titles of this year wow me above and beyond Xenoblade.

Clipper

Aeana said:
Not Pikmin 2, which is the game the question was asked about. It works for most TVs with Xenoblade, but only a handful of TVs, if any, with Pikmin 2.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Clipper said:
Not Pikmin 2, which is the game the question was asked about. It works for most TVs with Xenoblade, but only a handful of TVs, if any, with Pikmin 2.
Someone's got to work on a patch for that one. Like, inject the Pikmin 2 PAL game into Pikmin 2 j-NTSC so it works in English on American Wiis or whatever. Make it so people can do this with legitimately purchased copies of the game.

Anyway, off topic.. I just consider it an injustice that this one can't be easily imported from PAL like Another Code R, Disaster, and now confirmed, Xenoblade.

Aeana

Clipper said:
Oh sorry, yeah I was talking about Xenoblade.

Clipper

BocoDragon said:
Someone's got to work on a patch for that one. Like, inject the Pikmin 2 PAL game into Pikmin 2 j-NTSC so it works in English on American Wiis or whatever. Make it so people can do this with legitimately purchased copies of the game.

Anyway, off topic.. I just consider it an injustice that this one can't be easily imported from PAL like Another Code R, Disaster, and now confirmed, Xenoblade.
It can be easily imported. Pikmin 2 plays just fine in 480p on NTSC TVs. You just need a TV that can support it or a converter box to downsample the 480p back to true 480i. Forcing PAL60 also works for some SDTVs.

Mojojo

Alrus said:
Dear god that Exile Fortress sidequest in the marshes doesn't fuck around...
The giant spider at the Shrine scared the hell out of me... Then the games throws THREE fucking Spider Queen at you??? I wasn't prepared for that >.>

And damn, that lizardman chief boss monster was really hard, had to retry at least 5 times before finding a good tactic. AI Shulk sucks :( (And having to spend one bar of the party gauge to make him use the correct monado art is a pain when the boss spams special skills :/)

I liked that you had another option
to free the little Nopon, by using the back door of the exile fortress, no fighting at all :D . Or are there other quests taking you back there?
So I am at the marsh, and I think I have a problem with building realtionships between characters, because in my travels I have been able to use little of the many heart to heart locations I found. Is it normal at this point in the story?
Maybe I should mix up more my party and change leader from time to time? It seems most relationship boosts I get during quest giver conversations are between the leader and random party member, never between the two sidekicks...

Alrus

Okay so I read a bit of the Zelda informer thing... That guy is completely dumb =/ Why would you even go there in the first place anyway...

Mojojo said:
to free the little Nopon, by using the back door of the exile fortress, no fighting at all :D . Or are there other quests taking you back there?
So I am at the marsh, and I think I have a problem with building realtionships between characters, because in my travels I have been able to use little of the many heart to heart locations I found. Is it normal at this point in the story?
Maybe I should mix up more my party and change leader from time to time? It seems most relationship boosts I get during quest giver conversations are between the leader and random party member, never between the two sidekicks...

Oh I did that :p But whenever I see a "named" monster, I can't help but try to take him out. It's really fun when they're challenging and provide an actual threat :)

Also most of the "heart thing" aren't avalaible at the begining yeah, mostly because you don't have the party member required. When you have them but don't have enough relationship built, it'll tell you. But yeah, relationship grinding seems a bit annoying if you keep the same leader all the time, that's why I switch them up when I feel like it.

Just got Melia, I like the style but I don't really "get" her though. Hope she gets more interesting spells further on. Right now I think Shulk does a better job a dealing damages.

Antagon

Mojojo said:

I have the same, but I think that if it outright tells you you can't use the heart to heart it means that you don't have the party members for it yet.

Top Bottom