• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenosaga Ep 2 OST now available

maskrider

IJoel said:
This OST is pretty good, but I'm somewhat disappointed that it doesn't expand on the music from the Episode I. It's VERY SIMILAR to the .hack anime music and I just find it annoying since the themes are so different.

Bring Mitsuda back you bastards!

Not similar at all, .hack anime music and songs are miles better than the XS II OST, the XS II OST is just meh.

IJoel

maskrider said:
Not similar at all, .hack anime music and songs are miles better than the XS II OST, the XS II OST is just meh.

Well, I have the first and third .hack OSTs and it's very similar. To even expand on that, the very first time I listened to it, and without knowing the composers, I was able to make the connection right away. Both use the same techniques and instruments. That's not to say the Xenosaga Episode 2 OST is better or even comparable from a quality perspective.

maskrider

IJoel said:
Well, I have the first and third .hack OSTs and it's very similar. To even expand on that, the very first time I listened to it, and without knowing the composers, I was able to make the connection right away. Both use the same techniques and instruments. That's not to say the Xenosaga Episode 2 OST is better or even comparable from a quality perspective.

I have the full series of .hack OSTs (2 anime series and games, 13 CD sets including CD-singles) and other See-Saw albums, I like them so much, the instruments and techniques may be the same, the rhythms and the mood are not.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
While I agree that her other work is better, I still think the XS2 OST is a great soundtrack overall. There are issues with it, but when it reaches its high points...it really hits them.

It's my favorite RPG soundtrack yet this year.

maskrider

dark10x said:
While I agree that her other work is better, I still think the XS2 OST is a great soundtrack overall. There are issues with it, but when it reaches its high points...it really hits them.

It's my favorite RPG soundtrack yet this year.

My favourite RPG OST this year belongs to Shadow Hearts II OST, heh ! :)
(it was done by Yoshitaka Hirota/Yasunori Mitsuda/Kenji Ito)

dark10x

maskrider said:
My favourite RPG OST this year belongs to Shadow Hearts II OST, heh ! :)

Meh, just like the original, I could never get into most of Hirota's work. Mitsuda's tracks are extremely good (especially the remix of Tanjou). I love about 10% of the soundtrack, somewhat enjoy another 40% of it, and don't care much for the remaining 50%.

I can't really recall too many other RPG soundtracks from this year, though.

My two favorite tracks are Suffocation and The Past (the remix, obviously). Suffocation might be a Hirota track, oddly enough...but I can't recall.

maskrider

dark10x said:
Meh, just like the original, I could never get into most of Hirota's work. Mitsuda's tracks are extremely good (especially the remix of Tanjou). I love about 10% of the soundtrack, somewhat enjoy another 40% of it, and don't care much for the remaining 50%.

I can't really recall too many other RPG soundtracks from this year, though.

My two favorite tracks are Suffocation and The Past (the remix, obviously). Suffocation might be a Hirota track, oddly enough...but I can't recall.

A reason may be you haven't played the game (I suppose). Heh !

PSO3's OST is the best so far this year imo. Followed by Shadow Hearts 2. I'd include DQ5 also but I don't think that'd qualify. :p

I expect DDS to be up there when it's released. Along with Paper Mario (does anyone know who's composing it).

dark10x

maskrider said:
A reason may be you haven't played the game (I suppose). Heh !

I haven't played either game yet (though I will). I played Shadow Hearts, though, and I did not care for most of the music in game. Interestingly enough, the very first song that really grabbed me was during the first flashback with Yuri when they played Tanjou. :p I don't care for most of the OST and I didn't think the music worked well with the game.

SHII's soundtrack is better, though, so hopefully it will meld with the onscreen action a bit better. Shadow Hearts was a sweet game, but the musical aspects were disappointing...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Got the #gamemp3 release. Haven't listened yet, since I have no time to iPod it tonight. Pity.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yes, Yuki Kajiura did Noir, .hack//SIGN, and aquarian age. She does not seem to have much diversity in her music, but it's all enjoyable, and pretty easy to spot.

The first two are from the "Sailing to the World" soundtrack (Taiwanese game).
The rest are from "an cinniuint", the soundtrack to Tsugunai.

You can purchase the "Sailing to the World" soundtrack from Cocoebiz.com , but "an cinniuint" is out of stock.

Top Bottom