• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XTC's "Dear God" is a great song.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Anything off of Skylarking. Actually, come to think of it, Dear God is on that album too.

I like a lot of stuff off of Nonsuch, too. To be honest, I never really listened to much outside of those two albums. I'm not really sure why.

Oh wait, I lied, there's some good stuff on Apple Venus, too. Stuff like "I'd Like That," "Greenman," and "Your Dictionary" are all good off that album.

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
They've done decent stuff since, but my favorite XTC album's always been Black Sea. Travels in Nihilon and Respectable Street show off two different sides to them quite well.

ShadowRed

Banned
Has anyone checked out Divine Intervention by Mathew Sweet? A friend of mine turned me on to it as well as Dear God, both are great songs.

hobbitx

Yeah I just noticed that song on VH1 classic, I always heard it and liked the way it sounded, then I happened to notice the lyrics at the end and I was like, are they dissing god? Then I saw the lyrics for the whole song and I was just like, "wow!"

They're right, god's a douche, no wait........there is no god I forgot. :)

soakrates

Skylarking, Nonsuch, Oranges and Lemons, and Apple Venus vol. 1 are my favorite XTC albums, but their entire catalogue is mostly quality.

One of the greatest pop groups ever, and criminally underappreciated.

soakrates

karasu said:
Those lyrics suck. Oh the world isn't perfect, there is no god!
Funny you should say that. If I recall, Andy Partrididge, who wrote the song, said in an interview that he doesn't really identify with those lyrics anymore.

Substance

Drums and Wires, their 1979 album, is the definitive album for their spastic outbursts. This album does not take it easy, and while it does result in the occasional clumsy moment(Roads girdle the Globe) but their are so many memorable hooks, 'Outside World', 'Making Plans for Nigel', 'Ten Feet Tall', 'Reel by Reel' are just charming in style and life.
But as many have already mentioned, Skylarking is their masterpiece. That is the point where they almost achieved their Beach Boys/Bacharach pop harmony and grace.
I only own 'Drums and Wires' and 'Skylarking' I feel those are most essential of the two phases in XTC. The group are a bit hippie-ish at times, sometimes uneven, though their best moments are quite treasurable.

tt_deeb

Yeah, I love XTC. I own their greatest hits "Upsy Daisy Assortment" It's everything I'd ever need from them, all of the tracks are great. Some other songs I'd recommend are:

"Generals and Majors"
"Senses Working Overtime"
"Making Plans For Nigel"
"Love On A Farmboys Wages"
"Grass"

Diablos

karasu said:
Those lyrics suck. Oh the world isn't perfect, there is no god!

Dude, shut up; don't get me started on the pretentious bullshit that is Tool.

clip: Get Dear God for starters.

etiolate

Banned
It was perhaps better lyrically at its time, but now it just sounds like another immature "I blame god for what people do" deal.

Dear God is the crappiest song on Skylarking and totally doesn't fit in with the rest of the album. But it's still pretty good. The child intro makes me want to murder someone though.

English Settlement is my fav album. Sense Working Overtime and Jason & the Argonauts are the best goddamn songs ever. If you just want songs go for Making Plans For Nigel, Senses, Jason, Mayor of Simpleton, Science Friction, Pink Thing, Generals and Majors, Scarecrow People, and ummmm Meccanik Dancing.

Has anyone heard that solo album put out a year or so ago? I never bothered giving it a listen.

You mean Fuzzy Warbles? Andy is up to Volume 6, but those are demo collections. Colin was originally supposed to put his songs on the albums, but backed out because he thought they'd lose money on the project. Andy also put out some sort of poetry album with Peter Blegvad last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom