• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yahoo is trying to kill me... Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
whatthehell.jpg

I was trying to delete the yahoo extras crap that comes with installing Yahoo Instant Messanger and I got this alert.

:( I'm afraid, I don't know what this means. What should I do? Should I just choose to stop the file and forget about it?

I JUST formatted my computer like, 4 days ago.

Chrono

Banned
wait is the "C:\DOCUME~1" part of the virus? my pc has been messed up for several months now and I have no idea what's going on... when I was changing folders in DOS the other day to run a java program, I noticed that "docume~1" was after drive C and thought it was weird.

How do I remove it? that is, if I need to in the first place?

I just used "run" to open the window and the path is " C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER>" I'm afraid I can't delete it or I'll end up deleting all of my files....? Interesting that i remember my Norton alerting my of a similar "malicious virus." thought I think it took care of it. maybe it failed.. =\

no big deal since I'll be getting a new pc shortly but just thought I'd pop this here. ^__^

Chrono

Banned
Does anyone know what's a "GatorPatch.log" file?

is it spyware? I think I remember the name "gator" after blocking spyware several times..

Chrono

Banned
Camillemurs said:
So, is this a virus or what?

Should I run an antivirus?

You should definitely at least use the "stop this script command." just click OK and Norton will take care of it.

Ecrofirt

docume~1 is short for Documents and settings.

it's the old short file name system, where files/folders with over 8 letters would be abbreviated with ~#

SyNapSe

Yeah it's the 8.3 standard.

The path is probably this.. C:\Documents and Settings\%userprofile%\local settings\temporary internet files\"some crazy folder name"\'that file name'

Just clear your temp. internet cache and it should get rid of it. If your using IE, it can be done from Tools ---> Internet Options ---->

At this point it will differ depending on what version of IE you are using. If you have the latest I believe you will start on the General tab, and it will be sectioned into 3 parts. The middle section will be temp internet files. You'll have either 2 or 3 options (depending on version) One should be to delete files. Go ahead and do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom