• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yay, got my Xbox! :D

miyuru

Hey peoples! So today I actually managed to buy an Xbox, buy a chip, and have it modded with the help of a friend (whom I treated to dinner afterwards).

So it's sorta just sitting there, I didn't hook it up to anything yet. Just wondering what are some cool things to do with a modded Xbox, and how to do them, and what are the first things I should do?

BTW I didn't pop in a new HD, I'll probably do that later. Right now I'm more interested in FTP'ing with my computer and watching anime off it for starters.

Fusebox

Banned
Ooh, XBMC, 1080i goodness, I watched a 700 meg version of Garfield the other day in 1080i and the picture quality blew away half my retail DVDs.

XBMC owNz.

miyuru

I am on it! If anyone wants to really help me, PM me your MSN and we can chat, it'd be greatly appreciated on my journey to the...

...darkside.

What specifically does Media Center on your XBox let you do? Record TV and stuff like that I'm assuming, right?

Can the XBox run Windows Media Player HD?

Moegames

Banned
miyuru said:
Hey peoples! So today I actually managed to buy an Xbox, buy a chip, and have it modded with the help of a friend (whom I treated to dinner afterwards).

So it's sorta just sitting there, I didn't hook it up to anything yet. Just wondering what are some cool things to do with a modded Xbox, and how to do them, and what are the first things I should do?

BTW I didn't pop in a new HD, I'll probably do that later. Right now I'm more interested in FTP'ing with my computer and watching anime off it for starters.

Do research at http://www.xbox-scene.com - you'll be amazed

Your gonna be in for a real treat once you see what a modded xbox can do. To me xbox is by far the best console ever to grace this earth when its modded. It does so much its not even funny.

Right now i have one of my xboxes modded for my media center on my home theater set up. Movies, music, pictures,etc stream from my upstair's pc to my modded xbox downstairs thats connected to my home theater. It plays xvid,divx,dvd, mp3,pictures,etc just about all media file types. Then we got the emu side of it..which is ridiculous and amazing in its own right.

Then there is the darker side of a modded xbox that i wont get into that shouldnt be discussed as it can cause people to get upset and plus its not good to advertise that stuff.

Anyways, your gonna have a blast with it..that xbox just turned into a complete media center because its now modded.

I have put XBMC as my main dashboard for xbox...its fits the bill quite nicely i must say. :D

Yusaku

soundwave05 said:
What specifically does Media Center on your XBox let you do? Record TV and stuff like that I'm assuming, right?

No, that's something MS's Xbox Media Extender would do (XME doesn't actually record video, just tells your PC with Windows Media Center to record).

XBMC does let you record audio streams, though.

miyuru

Nothing, all that I have so far is an Xecuter3 installed.

I'm going to install EvoX right now, don't worry too much about me, I found a good tutorial now :) I'll post more questions if I *really* need help only, but it'd be cool if you guys want to reply with opinions on *what* to install once I'm comfortable with my modded box.

miyuru

I have a bunch of retail games I borrowed too + Halo 2. I'm keeping the default HD in there for now, I don't care to buy a new one. And tonight I'll probably put in a 20 gig HD I had lying around.

Top Bottom