• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yet another "Help me build a new PC" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crateman

I'm probably building a new rig during December. You can laugh at my nVidia 5200.

Because I'm not in the States, I won't be able to order from NewEgg or any online retailer -the import duties would be prohibitively high-. Feel free to suggest parts, but I'll have to look for them in Brick-n-Mortar stores here.

Take in account that I would like build a very good rig while still not going overboard. I´ll try to explain why I picked those components. I'm planning to use the PC for Gaming, learning 3D modeling and some modding work.

So, let's review:

GPU:

GeForce GTX 280 1Gb PNY

-So I've read that the GTX 280 is the big daddy of GPUs at the moment. I'm whiling to invest in a top of the line GPU so that I can keep using it, with relatively ease, for years. In the NewEgg reviews some people said that there was an overheating problem with that model and brand... have you guys heard anything?

or

GeForce GTX 260 896Mb Gigabyte

I've read that this one also packs quite a punch... and Gigabyte seems like a better brand that PNY. If the difference between this and the 280 is not that abysmal, I might go with it. Also, I don't think that the monitor I'm thinking to buy will pull of 2560X1600.

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz

or

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz

The price difference between them in not that high. Should I go with Quad now or should I stick with the Duo?

MoBo:
Intel DP35DP

or

EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1

This is very important. The EVGA is twice the Intel. I specifically chose the Intel MoBo because it offers me just what I need. I don't think I'll be jumping on the SLI bandwagon soon, and I don't need the 7.1 sound -I have a Audigy 2 5.1 card and soundsystem that works like a charm and I plan to use it-.

4 Gb. worth of Kingston DDR2 800 MHz. RAM

500 Gb. 7200 RPM Western Digital SATA HD

Acteck Zenus ACG-Z9300 Case -Includes a 600 Watts Power Supply.

Lite-On DVD-RW drive.

Logitec LX310 USB Mouse and Keyboard

Acer LCD X203WB Display 1680x1005

I don't want to spend too much on a LCD monitor. I recently bought a TV and I'm trying to spend as less as I can on my display.

What do you think GAF?

I forgot to mention:

-I won't me fiddling around with overclocking. I have 0 experience with it and I don't want to ruin my rig by doing it now... so if the MoBo I chose is not overclocking friendly, I don't mind at all.

-Should I be worried about the ventilation and cooling? The case includes 2 fans and I don't use the computer for extended periods of time.

-OS-wise, I think I'll be installing Vista 64x in order to get the most out of my rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom