• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yet another reason why people 70+ shouldn't drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
ltpcar07052004.jpg

3496391_200X150.jpg

3496389_200X150.jpg

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=72435

MARLBOROUGH, Mass. -- A woman in her 70s who apparently pressed her car's accelerator instead of the brake drove off a Mass. parking garage and through the roof of a home, according to Local 6 News.

Elder, who faces no charges, was visiting family in the area, witnesses said. At about 1 p.m., her car, which was on the street above the house, drove straight back and went airborne between the parking lot and the house, a distance of roughly six feet.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Old people get public transport free, THEY SHOULD USE IT!

I see it everytime i drive on major roads, Old people pulling out into traffic, old people cutting me up, old people trying to pull out onto motorways into the side of my car.

Number of old people who have nearly killed me by not paying attention to the road is unbelievable, and ive only driven 16000 miles.

Along with Rubbernecking, old people driving is my current pet hate on the roads.

I saw this video on one of those dodgy cop TV shows last night of an old woman pulling off a motorway at a junction, then going the wrong way round the roundabout into on coming traffic, somehow avoiding all that, then smacking the curb when she finally realised the police wanted her to pull over.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The elderly also get into almost the exact same number of accidents as brand new teen drivers between the ages of 16-18. That is FACT.

We slap provisions, prohibitions, and special regulations on those teens, and yet we ask nothing of the elderly who are a FAR greater danger on the road (teens frequently make mistakes, but the elderly simply drive that way ALL THE TIME). I've always felt the reason for this was twofold. 1) An illogically excessive "respect" for the elderly (how about respect for people's lives?), and 2) the fact that a large percentage of legislators can be counted as senior citizens themselves.

MetatronM said:
The elderly also get into almost the exact same number of accidents as brand new teen drivers between the ages of 16-18. That is FACT.

We slap provisions, prohibitions, and special regulations on those teens, and yet we ask nothing of the elderly who are a FAR greater danger on the road (teens frequently make mistakes, but the elderly simply drive that way ALL THE TIME). I've always felt the reason for this was twofold. 1) An illogically excessive "respect" for the elderly (how about respect for people's lives?), and 2) the fact that a large percentage of legislators can be counted as senior citizens themselves.

IAWTP.

I respect and acknowledge that ppl older then me have more experinence on the road then me (I'm 22) but when ppl get to a certain age (65+) its a FACT that things like perception, reaction time, hearing, eye sight etc start to GO. There are always exceptions to every rule so why not just make compulsory driver's tests every 2 years for ppl over a certain age. Hell I wouldn't mind one every 5-10 years for EVERYONe.

Young ppl are often in accidents because they are purposely doing the wrong thing. Most old ppl on the other hand are unconcious of how much they now suck at driving and are shit 100% of the time!

ge-man

MetatronM said:

I couldn't have said better myself. This is a real problem that is being ignored for no good reason.

robochimp

MetatronM said:

That and old people actually vote

Ozchin

What is sad is that if this person was not 70+ and had a single beer, that person would be pwned, regardless of the stupidity of said person.

Just because you are old does not give you the priveledge to do stoopid shite and get away with it. If you don't like it, chill out on all this drunk driving crap as well.

darscot

Ozchin said:
What is sad is that if this person was not 70+ and had a single beer, that person would be pwned, regardless of the stupidity of said person.

Just because you are old does not give you the priveledge to do stoopid shite and get away with it. If you don't like it, chill out on all this drunk driving crap as well.

What the hell are you on about? Where do you live and what is the legal limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom