• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yet Another Shins Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recognize! I never get tired of these guys. The Awesomez.

B00005JSHW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00009LVXT.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I talked with James Mercer back in May after they'd performed at Sasquatch and got my Chutes Too Narrow booklet signed by the whole band. He's a really nice guy, even if he was teetering on passing out from all the beer.

ced

Next to Porcupine Tree and Tool, one of the few bands I never tire of, really amazing albums.

tt_deeb

I have the new one and it's alright, I can't really get into it. Sounds a little too retro for me. Porcupine Tree I must check out.

ced

tt_deeb said:
Porcupine Tree I must check out.

Sorry for the derailment, but...

In Absentia is the latest album and should be easy to find, its a must buy too. Signify is easy to find too but its an older album thats alot of expermental stuff, not that great.

Its about next to impossible to find Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream w/o paying 60$ on ebay or just downloading, but these two are excellent as well.

I saw Rogue Wave open for the Shins and picked up their CD a few weeks back, they're playing here on the 24th (Seattle), I just might go see them.

Alucard

Banned
TheQueen'sOwn said:
I really wish they would come to Canada. :(

Here here.

In unrelated news, MAF should pick up some Belle and Sebastian if he's into dreamy sounding pop music. I recommend their last album, Dear Catastrophe Waitress.

Amazon.com really wants me to get into the Shins. When I look up the Wrens, Doves, Books, and whatever else they always try to link me to the Shins. Caring is Creepy is one of the best songs I've ever heard, but aside from that I find a lot of it mediocre. Granted, I've yet to sit down and really listen to everything.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't like Chutes Too Narrow all that much the first time I listened to it, but I got a free ticket and saw them live. The live show sold me on 'em. They're great. My friend went and saw them a few weeks back, with fucking Calexico opening (and he informed me that "Calexico was the best live band I've ever seen, bar none"). I'm bummed I missed that show. But it seems like they tour constantly, so I'm sure I'll get to see them again. "Turn a Square" is about the best song ever.

MAF: You should check out Dressy Bessy, I could see you absolutely loving them. It's 60s-esque power pop with awesome fuzzy guitars, and great songwriting. As a plus? Their singer, Tammy Ealom, is gorgeous and a great singer. I think they'd be right up your alley. I'm not sure where you could check out any tracks online, but I'm almost guaranteeing you'd dig it, they're fantastic.

Jak140

Lambtron said:
My friend went and saw them a few weeks back, with fucking Calexico opening (and he informed me that "Calexico was the best live band I've ever seen, bar none").

Gah! Don't tell me that! I missed a free live concert of theirs because I was on vacation. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom