• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yo ArcadeStickMonk, help is needed.

Ferrio

Banned
Recently my mas stick took a fall breaking the down position in my stick. I fixed it, but only by butchering a button to take out the white box thing that registers inputs (don't know what it's called).

Anyways, that's the second button I've had to butcher for this thing, and some replacement parts for this 4 year old stick might be a good idea. I was curious if there were any online ordering sites (besides mas, I'll stick to them if I have to) to buy some replacement parts.

Awesome that you didn't PM me. Put this shit out for everybody to see.

MAS uses Happ part and Happ parts only.

http://www.happcontrols.com/

Menu through Amusement, Pushbuttons

If the buttons are convex, they are Competition, if they are concave they are Ultimates.

The little white dealie is called the microswitch, in this case, cherry microswitch.

Ferrio

Banned
How hard would it be to replace what I think is an ultimate joystick with 4 way microswitches (only 4 microswitches, so I guess it's 4 way) With an 8 way microswitch or optical?

If you are going to replace an Ultimate (which uses metal levers to hit the switchs, BTW), replace it with a Competition or the Optical P360. But sticks are great, but I prefer the optical for Street Fighter.

The Comp is a cinch to replace, long as your down for the simple eight solders you need to do.

The P360 is tricky only because it needs it's own 5v ground, and some people have trouble setting it up right on varied PCBs. Now, I've never put in a P360 myself, MAS put mine in, but gimme a sec and I'll see if I have a pic to throw up showing where the 5v ground ends on my PCB.

Ferrio

Banned
Well my stick uses a square piece of plastic to push the buttons. Also I want the joystick to be very tight.

Also there's 2 different solders on each 4 microswitches. One I suppose is the input, the other seems to be ground (uncoated copper wire that goes to all buttons)

I fucked up, Supers use leaf switches, Ultimates and Comps use the block, sorry. I mix those up sometimes cuz I never use em.

It gets no tighter than the P360. You can hurt your wrist, but you're probably ready for it.

Heres the pics, you can see how the P360 is wired in my MAS, whose PCB is likely different than yours. There is a base black ground wire joining the other grounds, but the red wite runs to a VCC on the PCB itself.

ASM-MAS-5vGrnd-01.jpg

ASM-MAS-5vGrnd-02.jpg

Ferrio

Banned
Ya, looks the same except

-Mine uses verticle micros
-I'm missing three dimms you have. One's the PC, big deal. The other two I don't know what are. one of them is located above the ground for the 360 and the other is that tiny one on the left.

539200xx.gif

Ultimates, like you said. If you replace the sticks, replace these, once you go convex you don't go back.

The MAS PCBs vary of course based on what compatibility you order from them. If yours loks like mine, then it should make no difference for installing the extra ground.

Ferrio said:
Also what's the purpose of the black wire from the 360 to the start button?
That's the mian ground, all the buttons are daisy chained together (with taut copper wire in mine) on the same ground. The P360 is on the main ground, but also uses the extra 5v ground.

Ferrio

Banned
Sure those missing dimms don't make a difference?

and No I hate convex buttons with a passion.

Ah OK, that should be easy..... 50 bucks for one of those..... I hope they work good I'd ahte to not like it

Ferrio said:
Sure those missing dimms don't make a difference?
Well, no I'm not 100% sure, but logically they shouldn't. I mean, people hack Playstation PCBs to handle P360s, so what systems the PCB is made to work with shouldn't have any bearing on what kind on device can close the circuits.

SRK hardware is a great resource you will not want to overlook in this undertaking.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Man, I ordered an MAS stick (through www.alphaelectronics.us) like two weeks ago and I'm still waiting for it to ship. I might have to take a trip out to California and knock some heads together.

Also, while we're on the subject, ASM, did you know that MAS supposedly stopped offering P360 sticks? I went for the competition anyway since I prefer mine a little looser but it still seems odd. They said it was due to quality control issues.

I didn't know that, been out of the game these past few months. Well, that ends now anyway.

But I can assure you that the P360 I got from them has no quality issues of any kind. I was worried because I ordered towards the end of the big quality issue scare (which I know how to fix) and I was really afraid that I might get a bad one. Out of the box it worked perfect though.

Ferrio

Banned
ArcadeStickMonk said:
. I was worried because I ordered towards the end of the big quality issue scare (which I know how to fix) and I was really afraid that I might get a bad one. Out of the box it worked perfect though.

Explain this quality control issue.

ArcadeStickMonk said:
I fucked up, Supers use leaf switches, Ultimates and Comps use the block, sorry. I mix those up sometimes cuz I never use em.

ASM-MAS-5vGrnd-01.jpg

ASM-MAS-5vGrnd-02.jpg

They all use cherry micros... including Supers.

Wico's (And Wico knockoffs) use Leaf switches. Although I'm pretty certain the majority of Wico's new sticks are all micro switches... so don't use company name alone in determining it.

Top Bottom