• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite screamers. (Music thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I love it when a typically quiet singer just blows up in the middle of a song and starts screaming his head off. It adds so much contrast to a song and creates a ridiculously crazy adrenaline rush. I've been listening to the Burning Brides for the past 2 months now, non stop. Dimitri Coates is easily the best screamer I've ever heard. Better than Maynard? Yep. (Dodges hail storm of pitchforks). And he isn't an emo-screamer either. Nope, his screams sound as if they come from the heart. I saw the Burning Brides live and they're flawless. Dimitri's screams are a gift from God.

My other favorite screamers include Chris Cornell, Paul McCartney, Jared Leto, Maynard, Chino, Serj Tankian, and Dave Grohl.

So, who are your favorites?

DMczaf

jon22.jpg

Best screamer ever.

karasu

holy crap am I surprised to see Jared Leto listed. I was gonna list him and thought for sure that I'd be the only one.

Robert Plant
Maynard
Leto

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Jordan Blilie and Johnny Whitney of The Blood Brothers

Granted, they pretty much scream the whole time but the fact that they don't lose their voices after every performance is impressive.

As a runner up, ...

frontrunner-dean.gif

Truly bloodcurdling.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Maynard(the screaming on Ticks and Leeches is simply sick), Chino(best live screams I've ever heard), Robert Plant

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

Mason

Yeah, easily Frank Black/Black Francis/Charles Thompson.

Ian Curtis made some really bizarre noises in the middle of songs though.

AlphaSnake

karasu said:
holy crap am I surprised to see Jared Leto listed. I was gonna list him and thought for sure that I'd be the only one.

Robert Plant
Maynard
Leto

Psssh, no way. He rocks. I just got 30 Seconds to Mars this past week and saw some live stuff; Leto is frigin' gooooooooooooooooooooooood!

soakrates

DEV09.jpg

Devin Townsend outscreams anyone I've ever heard, and melodically to boot. Listen to Strapping Young Lad's "Detox" or "Deadhead" by the Devin Townsend Band and hold on to your asses.

karasu

AlphaSnake said:
Psssh, no way. He rocks. I just got 30 Seconds to Mars this past week and saw some live stuff; Leto is frigin' gooooooooooooooooooooooood!

Hell Yes. It's kind of surprising. Their acoustics of stuff like Buddha for Mary and Echelon are pretty damn good too.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
sp0rsk said:
o okay

i was just quoting some pitchfork review though.

:D

the talent 30 seconds to mars possesses is underwhelming, with that said i did like most of their album

Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth

Dan Swano from Edge of Sanity

Speed Strid from Soilwork during the Steelbath/Chainheart era(especially chainheart)

Mikael Stanne from Dark Tranquillity

Oddly enough...they're all swedish.

I've never been a big fan of screaming singers, but the ones I do like are:

Kyo from Dir en grey

Kyo.jpg

Daisuke from Kagerou

Daisuke.jpg

Masashi Yamada from The Back Horn

Masashi.jpg

Tatsurou from MUCC

Tatsurou.jpg

Jessicka from Jack off Jill/Scarling

heart1.jpg

Saint Cornelius said:
Can't really fuck around with Japanese noisecore bands, but PJ Harvey has a nice set of lungs on her

I've actually heard some of the noisecore bands and they're extremely painful on my ears. Luckily they're generally easy to avoid since they have names that no artist who thinks they're going to get big would take. For example one is named after a certain extremely famous internet pic.

SolidSnakex said:
I've actually heard some of the noisecore bands and they're extremely painful on my ears. Luckily they're generally easy to avoid since they have names that no artist who thinks they're going to get big would take. For example one is named after a certain extremely famous internet pic.

Well, I won't be downloading anything from "Goatse" or "Tubgirl" then. :)

Saint Cornelius said:
Well, I won't be downloading anything from "Goatse" or "Tubgirl" then. :)

You got it with the 2nd one. Just take what she's in and what she's doing and that their name (seriously). I don't even want to imagine what they'd be doing if they were a visual kei band. :p They're aburdly loud though.

Warm Machine said:
Rob Halford

That classically trained opera voice is mighty.

halford-int01.jpg

He really is the only answer. There are some pretty good other guys though:

The late great Bon Scott
Early Jon Oliva
Ronnie James Dio
Warrel Dane in his Sanctuary days

tt_deeb

What do you guys consider screamers? When I think of the term I certainly don't think "Paul McCartney" or some of the other choices listed here. And Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love are weak, those are terrible choices in my opinion. Only one I can think of that hasn't been mentioned yet is Mike Patton.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Rob Halford - true screaming demon
Hansi Kursch - one of the best vocalists in metal today...he is just unbelivable

AlphaSnake

tt_deeb said:
What do you guys consider screamers? When I think of the term I certainly don't think "Paul McCartney" or some of the other choices listed here. And Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love are weak, those are terrible choices in my opinion. Only one I can think of that hasn't been mentioned yet is Mike Patton.

Haha, you haven't heard Paul scream to just pass him off like that.

Prospero

AlphaSnake said:

Yeah--"screamer" doesn't necessarily imply "metal." Listen to Bowie on Scary Monsters (esp. track 1) and you'll be surprised he didn't rip a vocal cord.

tt_deeb

AlphaSnake said:

Song recommendations maybe?

EDIT: I never meant to imply the term screamer with "metal" necessarily but I think some of you might be confusing a "yell" with a "scream" Or maybe I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom