• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your GOTY so far....

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Image_ec7ee8ae-034e-4a2a-a0ae-81ffd76e467f.jpg

4 LIFE YO

Seriously. I broke my months long hiatus from gaming for this one, and I was forced back on it midway through the game, and I've thought of no other game but this one in the interim.

My god it's like having chicken pox... I need to scratch. @_@

Alcibiades

Just like expected, the consenus (probably in the overall gaming world as well), is that Pikmin 2 is a valid GOTY contender.

Great to hear, so I guess up to this point it's basically just Pikmin 2 in the running (as far as bona-fide contenders so far), with GTA, Halo and Metroid that might challenge them. I thought we'd see more Astro Boy GBA mentions though...

I never played the first Paper Mario, so I'm really suspect about the impact Paper Mario 2 will make. Everybody seems to be anticipating it, but for some reason I've never been hyped for the title at all, although I think the artstyle and music in the demo are really awesome. Mabye it will be a legitimate GOTY contender, but that GI score worries me, as they did give other GOTY's (Halo, Metriod Prime, KOTOR/Wind Waker) good scores...

Catalyst

Banned
Hmmm, so far, nothing, probably. For an American release, although it's kind of not fair being an MMORPG, definitely Final Fantasy XI. So much playtime went into that bitch, a bunch of bitch at those damn gil farmers, ugh. Beautiful, enjoyable experience that I'll remember forever, and will cost me more time when I decide to reactivate my account before the grace period's over.

But definitely...by December 31st, "Halo 2" will be my Game of the Year. Shit yeah. Epic. Truly. Huzzah.

olimario

Banned
Pikmin 2
It's the best Nintendo title this generation and possibly their most polished 3D title.
It's amazing what they've done with this unique concept.

ME0000428937_2.jpg

GOTY (so far): Ninja Gaiden

Close, but not quite enough list:
Rallisport Challenge 2
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
Fable
Rome: Total War
Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots expansion

I'm confident that Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 are gonna own all, though...I've got my eye on GTA: SA, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, and Axis & Allies, among others.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Wow fable's getting owned! :lol

OutRun 2 for me and I've never even played the game, once!

olimario said:
Pikmin 2
It's the best Nintendo title this generation and possibly their most polished 3D title.
It's amazing what they've done with this unique concept.

ME0000428937_2.jpg

Gets the THEGREENGIANT vote of confidence and seal of excellence.

efralope said:
Great to hear, so I guess up to this point it's basically just Pikmin 2 in the running (as far as bona-fide contenders so far)....

Ninja Gaiden is GOTY. It is mine and yours. You have no choice.
Pikmin 2 is in the running. But it's running a few steps behind Ninja Gaiden.
NG is not only game of this year. It is game of all years.

Alias03

SO FAR my GOTY is Mortal Kombat Deception although am sure it will change when Prince of Persia: WW and MGS3: Snake Eater come out

So far for me :-

1. Riddick
2. Rallisport 2
3. Ninja Gaiden

Obviously the following may alter this somewhat :-

Metroid Pime 2, Halo 2, Half-Life 2... and I'm praying that Battle for Middle Earth will be as awesome as it looks...

However if Jade Empire had been out this year... :D :D

Brofist

Was bored so I tallied the popular choices. If someone said "game a" and "game b" are both my favorites I counted both. If someone clearly said my favorite was "game a", and second place was "game b" I only counted the first game. So far :p

Ninja Gaiden: 20 votes
Pikman 2: 18 votes
Katamari Damacy: 14 votes
Riddick: 9 votes
Burnout 3: 6 votes
TOS: 6 votes

Alcibiades

kpop100 said:
Was bored so I tallied the popular choices. If someone said "game a" and "game b" are both my favorites I counted both. If someone clearly said my favorite was "game a", and second place was "game b" I only counted the first game. So far :p

a few people "Pikmin 2" and accidently wrote "Ninja Gaiden"

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
While I believe my GOTY will be one of the upcoming games in November, so far I have to go with Ninja Gaiden. I absolutely love the game and it totally suprised me. I was not hyped in the least for it (thanks Capcom), but it turned out to be something truly amazing.

I've also really enjoyed Star Ocean 3, Katamari Damashii and Thief DS this year.

kpop100 said:

TOS: 6 votes

It's all pointless because no one's played all the games listed so far.

it does show that there's more Xbox and Gamecube fanboys here than anything else.

LAMBO

New games I've had the most fun this year with:
Dawn of War, MGS3 demo

But my real games of the year are Counterstrike and Freespace 2.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
GTA double pack for the Xbox, but pikmin 2 might top it (still waiting on the PAL release) and I have only had my xbox for a month so maybe one of the up and coming titles.

Miburou

seismologist said:

Well, I haven't played many of the games listed because I don't want to (not my cup of tea, don't like the series, etc.), so even if I were forced to play them, I don't think any would be my GOTY. Having said that, I do need to rent Riddick.

it does show that there's more Xbox and Gamecube fanboys here than anything else.

Well, it does seem like most of the Pikmin voting is coming from Nintendo fans. But both me and dark voted for Ninja Gaiden, and we're definitely not Xbox fans.

Im seriously baffled by all the love for Ninja Gaiden. I feel like I'm missing out on some great game that I already own :(

I'm no action game fan, and I don't like overly challenging games, but for some reason Ninja Gaiden really clicked with me. Incredible graphics and beautiful music, an ass-load of moves, some RPG elements, and a difficulty level that's always challenging yet rarely frustrating just did it for me.

Oh, and the first 3 levels in NG suck big time in comparison to the rest of the game.

SPLINTER CELL: PANDORA TOMORROW. No other game this year has been nearly as innovative as the spies vs mercs multiplayer in SC. I think a lot of people got turned off from the game because this mode could prove to be very difficult to get skilled at and some people didn't have the patience to make the learning curve. All I know is that I had an awesome time playing this game with Siamesedreamer and kicking all the ass we did. A perfect blend of fast action, strategy, and stealth.

Razoric

Banned
Uno Ill Nino said:
SPLINTER CELL: PANDORA TOMORROW. No other game this year has been nearly as innovative as the spies vs mercs multiplayer in SC. I think a lot of people got turned off from the game because this mode could prove to be very difficult to get skilled at and some people didn't have the patience to make the learning curve. All I know is that I had an awesome time playing this game with Siamesedreamer and kicking all the ass we did. A perfect blend of fast action, strategy, and stealth.

Oh hell yeah. I need to start playing this sucker again.

Miburou said:
I'm no action game fan, and I don't like overly challenging games, but for some reason Ninja Gaiden really clicked with me. Incredible graphics and beautiful music, an ass-load of moves, some RPG elements, and a difficulty level that's always challenging yet rarely frustrating just did it for me.

If you take away the graphics and give it PS2 graphics would it still be GOTY material?

Oh, and the first 3 levels in NG suck big time in comparison to the rest of the game.

I guess I'll have to keep playing. Im only on the level where your in the city (think its the 4th level).

IJoel

seismologist said:

I have, indeed played the following: Pikmin 2, Ninja Gaiden, Rome: TW, Riddick, Katamari, Burnout 3, ToS and many others.

But I do still think it's somewhat useless. It does provide a nice mix of potential GOTY candidates so far though.

For games already released, I'll say Pikmin 2 and Fable...But I doubt either of those will be in the runnings after November is over.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I guess I'll have to keep playing. Im only on the level where your in the city (think its the 4th level).

Well THAT explains it...

The game isn't even stage based, you know. Level 4 marks the beginning of the actual gameworld, which is a Zelda-like overworld that can eventually be fully explored. The first 3 stages just set the game up and really aren't that hot in comparison to what comes later.

I should probably finish it then.
I dont think it's a bad game. Not like PoP bad. , it just didn't really stand out. The first part seem like every other 3rd person ninja/samurai hack and slash out there.

Thats good to know I have a great game sitting right under my nose. I'll just finish that before buying any new games.

Top Bottom