• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your ideal Fight Night/boxing game

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Its quite disappointing that we aren't getting a Fight Night this year due to the work on the upcoming UFC and of course perhaps to the somewhat waning boxing appeal. But if EA, or anyone (please 2K, but not another Don King's Prizefighter) steps up and makes a boxing game, what would you like to see? Me personally, my dream boxing game would contain the following:

Boxers - I personally have a lot I want to see in this category but i'll just "summarize"
- Updated rosters (Martinez, Ward, Alvarez, Mayweather etc. etc.)
- Boxers/Legends that haven't been in before (Willie Pep, Donovan Ruddock, Naseem Hamed, etc. etc.)

Engine
- Better boxer representation. Body build, punching/movement/defensive animations should be unique if applicable for real-life boxers.
- Deeper range of facial animations during a bout (smiling, surprise, anger, taunting etc.)
- Foot movement shouldn't feel like the boxers are "magnetized" to each other
- Getting stunned should not result in you becoming a pile of molasses. You should retain your movement speed but punches should be off-balance should you chose to defend yourself during this state. EA had this bad because getting stunned, unless your boxer had impressive chin or heart, being knocked down was inevitable due to slow footspeed and slow blocking speed. Stun animations should be more realistic and organic. Just like knockdowns, stun animations should not be canned, or at least have a broader range of animations.
- Inside/mid-range fighting improved. Add things like being able to punch during a clinch and accidental headbutts, possibly getting tangled during an exchange, especially when fighting orthodox vs southpaw fighters
- Knockdowns should be more organic, in relativity to the punch received, where landed on the boxer and the force. Canned knockdowns should be almost
non-existent.
- Stamina should really make more of a difference and it should affect punch output and strength in later rounds. Unless the boxer is known for being conservative and smart about his output, I shouldn't be weathering a barrage all 12-15 rounds.
- Being damaged badly on either side of the face, whether its severely swollen or cut and blood is in the eyes should affect that side's punch accuracy/blocking ability noticably.

Gameplay Tweaks, Additions, and Cosmetic Additions
- Return of a manual player controlled cornerman/cutman feature. Lots of times knowing how to speedily dress a cut or when to stop a fight if the ref isn't going to makes a huge difference in a bout.
- Selectable gameplan for the bout. If the gameplan is followed to a T or partially, extra EXP should be rewarded. THQ's UFC games were genius in this.
- Selectable referees
- More athletic mini-games that actually improve your physical stats. Weightlifting, jump rope, medicine ball, running, etc.
- Speech from real-life boxers, trainers, coaches, and referees. Between rounds, corner should have banter and selections on how to tweak the game plan for the fight. These options can be manual selected or suggested for you.

Customization
- Add more boxing brands (like Cleto Reyes, etc)
- Deeper customization, such as creating your own logos, adding props* and creating designs on existing equipment or "bare bones equipment". Prop Example*: A hispanic fighting wishing to come to the ring in a pancho, sombrero or both.
- Ability to choose long, mid or short ring entrances for those who have custom intro music.
- Customizable ring entrances, boxer movement, in-bout/victory taunts
- Additional hairstyles/ better quality hairstyles for those of specific ethnic backgrounds. (I'm tired of the fades for black people looking like a damn bowl cut or the braids looking generic.)

Career Mode
- Similar to THQ's UFC games (R.I.P) I'd like to see the ability to create or generate Pay-Per-View events or Fight Cards.
- Real-life sanctioned boxing committees such as the WBA, etc.
- Real-life boxing promotion companies (Golden Boy, Top Rank, etc.) or create your own
- Keep the ability to chose your training camp and location, but add more depth as far as picking which trainer you want to work with and their specialty.
- Being injured can set you back time during the fight calender year depending on the severity of the injury. Stats can suffer. If bad enough, it could be career ending or the boxer will never be the same in that particular category.
- More personalized career mode. Boxer will have a voice, and will interact with trainers, coaches, etc. Will be able to choose branching paths depending on how you wish to "raise" your boxer's career.
- Press conferences (cosmetic I know, but it feeds the image of a career mode, makes things like the pay-per-view events and fight cards more believable and realistic.)

These are all the things I came up with off the top of my head, so if I didn't list obvious changes or choices then its probably cause I overlooked it haha

My dream boxing game is simple: a new Hajime no Ippo/Victorious Boxers game on the latest consoles, with the create-a-boxer mode from the game that never got localized.

[QUOTE="D";109494877]
- Foot movement shouldn't feel like the boxers are "magnetized" to each other
[/QUOTE]
This!

Also fix the photoface

Made any black person look like they were wearing white face or was severely ashy.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
My dream boxing game is simple: a new Hajime no Ippo/Victorious Boxers game on the latest consoles, with the create-a-boxer mode from the game that never got localized.

I'd go for that, but I'd still need my real-life sim fix though. A localized Ippo boxing game that fully captures the ferocity and emotion of the anime would be dope beyond measure if done RIGHT

[QUOTE="D";109495795]I'd go for that, but I'd still need my real-life sim fix though. A localized Ippo boxing game that fully captures the ferocity and emotion of the anime would be dope beyond measure if done RIGHT[/QUOTE]

Oh, absolutely. And after seeing how well Jojo's Bizarre Adventure was presented on the PS3, I'd love to see HnI get the same meticulous visual treatment on the new consoles.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!

Someone is after my heart. The create a boxer mode in this game is bar none the best career mode ever. It's a ps2 game and I still play and I own the hd consoles with a nice rig.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
great post, OP. i agree with pretty much everything you said.

i thought FNC was great mechanically and i really liked the story mode, but the roster was lacking and the dlc was dumb.

i'd love to see that team go further with getting old school legends in the game.

- willie pep
- tommy hearns
- hagler
- joe louis
- roberto duran
- jake lamotta
- james toney

a lot of these guys have came and gone from the roster and i have to think it was to free up money for ali and tyson. i'd much rather have a more expansive roster personally.

boxing games make for great graphical show pieces on new hardware but it looks like the ufc game will fill that role this time around. it's a shame because as much as i like MMA the ground game always felt awkward in videogames.

DJIzana

Punch Out is literally my ideal punch gaming. That, or Ready 2 Rumble. I prefer the ones that don't take themselves too too seriously. :p

My man, great thread. I've been thinking about this lately. The best Fight Night was Round 3. For some of its arcadeyness, the game was pure skill online. The parrying system should be brought back but not how it was in Fight Night Round 3. Make it require exact precise timing, and the stun window only milliseconds. Risk reward with the counters like in real life. Give the player full control of blocking their whole body and face as in Round 3.

MANGOD

Banned
I'd fuckin love a next gen fight night. The local multiplayer was something else and all I want is money May in the roster. One can dream

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
My man, great thread. I've been thinking about this lately. The best Fight Night was Round 3. For some of its arcadeyness, the game was pure skill online. The parrying system should be brought back but not how it was in Fight Night Round 3. Make it require exact precise timing, and the stun window only milliseconds. Risk reward with the counters like in real life. Give the player full control of blocking their whole body and face as in Round 3.

i've been playing fnr3 on pcpsx2 at 1080p a lot recently, the game has held up really well. especially dat soundtrack.

Wow what a coincidence I just introduced Fight Night Champion to my friends and they love it.

Hajime No Ippo would make for a great boxing game too. Its why I bought Fight Night (and it was on sale).

Prince Naseem on the cover.
That would be tight.

I know people would hate it but I would also like a Kinect/Move mode along with the regular game.

Get rid of the stick crap or at least include buttons from day one.

Stop with the delayed punches from Champion.

I'd like for Fight Night to add back in the optional automatic get-up setting. My friends are so horrible at the getting up mini game, they couldn't get up after one knockdown. Didn't feel fair since I could do it easily, and it pretty much put an end to us playing each other in the later entries.

"D"

That would be tight.

I know people would hate it but I would also like a Kinect/Move mode along with the regular game.

Get rid of the stick crap or at least include buttons from day one.

Stop with the delayed punches from Champion.

I remember playing the demo for it and I dunno if it was just a bad build but I was totally underwhelmed for the game. My punches came out so damn late it felt like there was HUGE input lag on the game. I reserved my judgement and waited for the physical release to drop, and my gf got it for me as a gift (the pain of having a bad game wasn't going to feel as bad since I didn't buy it myself) and it seemed they fixed it slightly. It wasn't until a later patch that they finally addressed that input lag for me. Other than that I turned off that Champion filter and play in Sim with my counter punch window like a few ticks below the average setting. I like the way it feels so when you get hit by a counter its fast and rewarding

Manager mode - I get to scout fighters..promote them..guide them into what team i think would be good for their training...watch their CPU vs CPU matches

stuff like that

great post, OP. i agree with pretty much everything you said.

i thought FNC was great mechanically and i really liked the story mode, but the roster was lacking and the dlc was dumb.

i'd love to see that team go further with getting old school legends in the game.

- willie pep
- tommy hearns
- hagler
- joe louis
- roberto duran
- jake lamotta
- james toney

a lot of these guys have came and gone from the roster and i have to think it was to free up money for ali and tyson. i'd much rather have a more expansive roster personally.

boxing games make for great graphical show pieces on new hardware but it looks like the ufc game will fill that role this time around. it's a shame because as much as i like MMA the ground game always felt awkward in videogames.
There were leagues who agreed to just do kickboxing matches (clinch, one striking technique, then release) for UFC3. I'm sure you could round people up to do boxing only matches if you wanted and do CAFs for your favorite boxers.

Top Bottom