• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your thoughts on my choices for my next car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I've decided that late this year or very early next year as much as I love my Accord it's going to be time to retire her. So I'm looking around and I've got two main contenders and a few fringe vehicles.

The main contenders are:

c445235a.jpg

Acura TL

VS.

c441028a.jpg

Infiniti G35

Regardless of which one I'm definitely going with the 6 speed MT. They both have similar performance...similar horsepower, similar 0-60 performance....

I've toyed with the idea of maybe looking at Saab but the above two are the front runners.

Comments either way?

DarienA

bionic77 said:

What BMW is in this price range, offers similar performance and is a 4-door?

EDIT: From a quick look at the stats the 330's are noticeably more expensive, and the 325's have substantially less horsepower.

bionic77

DarienA said:
What BMW is in this price range, offers similar performance and is a 4-door?

EDIT: From a quick look at the stats the 330's are noticeably more expensive, and the 325's have substantially less horsepower.

I am just addicted to the way they drive. You could also look at a used M3 if you really want the performance, BMWs really keep their value though so it won't be that much cheaper. But, my goodness they are so fun to drive. No matter how shitty my day is going, I can always look forward to the drive to and from work.

Darien, I bought the G35 coupe last year and I love it. I got the 6MT Desert Platinum with the willow interior.

I bought mine at Nationwide Infiniti in Timonium, and have been totally pleased with my experience there. Just this week I took it in for an oil change and 7500 mile service, and I was given a loaner G35 for the day and my car was returned to me spotless, cleaned inside and out. They even cleaned the windows and blacked the tires. I bought mine when they were still pretty new so I paid sticker, but you may be able to swing a deal now.

DarienA

bionic77 said:
I am just addicted to the way they drive. You could also look at a used M3 if you really want the performance, BMWs really keep their value though so it won't be that much cheaper. But, my goodness they are so fun to drive. No matter how shitty my day is going, I can always look forward to the drive to and from work.

And used M3's run?

Thanks to the other folks... I'm torn between the Ac and the G for a few reasons.

For the Ac I love the performance and I have to be honest the fact that it supports bluetooth cell phones(i.e. you can use a bluetooth cell phone with the in car system and it'll link to it), is one of those cools techy things I like.

For the G while I actually DON'T like how the regular coupe looks the performance package adds some nice looking lower body cladding, and I love the engine sound.

Til very recently I was pretty sure I was going after a TL, but then I recently saw a G35 that I really liked... so I'll probably have to test drive them both now, but regardless of which one I'm DEFINITELY getting the 6 speed manual.

Finally in case anyone is wondering I'm doing a sedan because with the new addition to the family arriving this fall I don't want to have to break my back/neck struggling to get a babyseat in and out of the car.

Thanks Lucky I forgot you were local.. I'm probably going to try to hit a dealership either down here in the Rockville area or Northern VA.

Thanks for the quote Air... that's not the price range I'm looking at as the G and TL can be had for the upper 30's.

bionic77

DarienA said:
And used M3's run?

Thanks to the other folks... I'm torn between the Ac and the G for a few reasons.

For the Ac I love the performance and I have to be honest the fact that it supports bluetooth cell phones(i.e. you can use a bluetooth cell phone with the in car system and it'll link to it), is one of those cools techy things I like.

For the G while I actually DON'T like how the regular coupe looks the performance package adds some nice looking lower body cladding, and I love the engine sound.

Til very recently I was pretty sure I was going after a TL, but then I recently saw a G35 that I really liked... so I'll probably have to test drive them both now, but regardless of which one I'm DEFINITELY getting the 6 speed manual.

Finally in case anyone is wondering I'm doing a sedan because with the new addition to the family arriving this fall I don't want to have to break my back/neck struggling to get a babysit in and out of the car.

The blue book value for a used M3 from 2001 in excellant condition with pretty much everything except heated seats and the super tires was listed at around $30,000.

DarienA said:

I'm stunned!!!

Finally in case anyone is wondering I'm doing a sedan because with the new addition to the family arriving this fall I don't want to have to break my back/neck struggling to get a babyseat in and out of the car.

Smart move, though!

DarienA

bionic77 said:
The blue book value for a used M3 from 2001 in excellant condition with pretty much everything except heated seats and the super tires was listed at around $30,000.

For me, I have no interest in 2004/2005 buying a 2001 car. At the very least I'm only going back one year in terms of a used vehicle.

EDIT: Whoops.. Lucky I meant the regular SEDAN. I think it looks very plain. ;) Definitely have to get a 4 door for the reason I mention but still want good performance.

AirBrian

bionic77 said:
Did the website I go to suck? I thought $30k sounded too cheap......

Then again I checked the price for Pennsylvania and not DC.
What site did you use? I thought 2001's are in the $36-42K range.

bionic77

AirBrian said:
What site did you use? I thought 2001's are in the $36-42K range.

I searched for blue book on Yahoo and I used the zipcode of the town I grew up in Pennsylvania, I think it came to like $31,000 and some change.

Darien, hmm, BMW 3 Series have a pretty small backseat (fine for kids though, but it can get crample for tall people) and the M3 only comes in a coupe or covertible so it isn't exactly a family car. The 330 has plenty of pep though and even the 325 is fast enough unless you want your car to explode from a full stop. Still, you have to get what you like, just make sure to give a nice 3 series a test drive. That to me is one of the best parts of buying a new car, test driving all the cars including cars that you can't afford or have no intention of buying.

DarienA

bionic77 said:
Darien, hmm, BMW 3 Series have a pretty small backseat (fine for kids though, but it can get crample for tall people) and the M3 only comes in a coupe or covertible so it isn't exactly a family car. The 330 has plenty of pep though and even the 325 is fast enough unless you want your car to explode from a full stop. Still, you have to get what you like, just make sure to give a nice 3 series a test drive. That to me is one of the best parts of buying a new car, test driving all the cars including cars that you can't afford or have no intention of buying.

I honestly hadn't thought of the 3's at all because in my mind I picture them as smaller vehicles, when actually measurement wise they seem to be pretty close to the TL and G35 Sedan. I'll give them a test drive for sure.

Dilbert

Wow...tough choice. Both of those cars are GORGEOUS.

I used to be in love with the G35's look, but the new TL is arguably even more attractive. Haven't test driven either of them, though, so I don't know how different they feel on the road.

Are the interiors and option comparable, or does one have a distinct advantage over the other? How much do these cars run?

DarienA

-jinx- said:
Wow...tough choice. Both of those cars are GORGEOUS.

I used to be in love with the G35's look, but the new TL is arguably even more attractive. Haven't test driven either of them, though, so I don't know how different they feel on the road.

Are the interiors and option comparable, or does one have a distinct advantage over the other? How much do these cars run?

Interior, measurements, performance are all VERY comparable, both start in the low 30's and top out around the upper 30's. It's not going to be an easy decision, but I think the road test will probably help differentiate the two for me.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
G35

I rented one to go to NY for X-Mas. I really didn't want to give it back. Fast as fuck for an automatic.

Get the coupe tho since you're going manual anyway.

Screw that! You can make your own car! All you need is a couple of 2x4's, a couple bicycles, an engine, and the top part of a chair and you're all set! Here's the schematic.

mbm.jpg

DaCocoBrova

^^

Are narrow on the inside. But they have Bluetooth. So they're cool.

DarienA

DaCocoBrova said:
G35

I rented one to go to NY for X-Mas. I really didn't want to give it back. Fast as fuck for an automatic.

Get the coupe tho since you're going manual anyway.

As I mentioned earlier my girlfriend and I are expecting a child this November and I don't want to deal with babysit + no back door issues so I'm going with the sedan. Plus you can get the Sedan with the 6speed manual.

Tuvoc

tough choice man but if you're willing to get the sport coupe G35 then get that but if you're gonna get a sedan get the TL.

The Bookerman said:
8150gt-r352.jpg

I dunno if it's real or not... if the Skyline gt r35 looks like that... My sole mission in life will be to buy that car.

This shot is from Road & Track, and the styling is even more radical:

2007%20GT-R%20-%20RT-01.jpg

Firest0rm

My bro's friend bought a G35 but then returned it for a Maxima. He said he didn't like the handling. I would still go with G35 over the Acura though :).

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Damn, what a tough choice. Having driven both more than once there's absolutely no way you can go wrong with either car. I think the Acura looks a bit nicer, but the G35 is quicker, has a nicer interior and Infiniti's customer service is downright terrific. The Acura is more prone to theft, especially the Xenon lights, so I'd be weary of that. Option for option, the Acura edges out the G35. But when you're talking about performance, the G35 is the clear victor.

If I had to make a choice, I'd go with the G35x because of the added handling and stability; on snow it'll kick ass like a SUV -- same goes for other poor conditions.

Motor Trend has a comparison test of the G35, TL, Saab 93, and Cadillac CTS:

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0405_sedans/

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but the Acura is front-wheel drive while the Infiniti is rear-wheel drive. This will make for a pretty big difference in the handling dynamics and general "feel" of the car, especially when driven hard. So, your preference for FWD or RWD should play a pretty big part in your decision.

DaCocoBrova

With two kids, why would you be deciding on either of those?

DarienA

DaCocoBrova said:
With two kids, why would you be deciding on either of those?

Huh? My 7 year old daughter doesn't live with me. My girlfriend is expecting this November. With a sedan I don't have to deal with having to bend like a gymnist to get a car seat in and out of the backseat.

Thanks to everyone for the links to comparisons and thoughts... as I mentioned earlier I think the test drive is probably going to be the deciding factor because both cars feature wise are so close. I had forgotten that the G35 is a RWD car, I don't particularly have a preference(though I know all about the arguments about why RWD is better and vice versa). I can't wait to put both of these puppies through their paces.

golem

id go with the TL... the G35 sedan's exterior and interior dont really appeal to me (especially that godawful center console).

DarienA

Why in the hell do people keep mentioning coupes? Hey here's an idea... read the damn thread!!! grrrrrr

Hey Darien:

If you have to choose between the two, I'd go with the G35. But if you're looking for sedans, what's your specs? Are you a horsepower type of driver, better handling, cost prohibitive? I know you're getting ready for the new baby, so I figured you're probably thinking of that...

DarienA

fart said:
they're both nice, but... how's the weather where you live? does it snow?

Southern MD, not much snow. Occasionally bad storms, but that's a rare thing.

WasabiKing said:
Hey Darien:

If you have to choose between the two, I'd go with the G35. But if you're looking for sedans, what's your specs? Are you a horsepower type of driver, better handling, cost prohibitive? I know you're getting ready for the new baby, so I figured you're probably thinking of that...

Well both of these cars are in the price range I want so the cost part has already been factored in. I want a fast, comfortable sedan, some luxury but with a performance bent, which again these two both encompass. Both vehicles have hp within 10hp of each other as well.

We are getting ready for the baby but that's pretty much not a major financing concern I'm sitting comfortable at a decent five figure salary, and she makes six figures so even though having a child obviously creates additional expenses we're prepared to absorb them which is why we're looking to make the car purchase so soon after the new additional to our family joins us this fall.

Right, but then there's always expenses that may come up, larger house, renovating room, all that good stuff. OK, so I'm going to target my choices at around the $35,000 mark...

Well, I like those two choices. I'm not going to suggest the American cars cause you'd be going into the V8 territory, and gas mileage is not that great. A little more than $35K and I'd say Audi A6, cause it's very comfortable, and very fast. ;)

EDIT - BTW, would you be willing to wait until November/December? I don't know your negotiation skills, but that's the best time to buy any mid-ranged sedan with all the incentives set to fly this year.

DarienA

WasabiKing said:
Right, but then there's always expenses that may come up, larger house, renovating room, all that good stuff. OK, so I'm going to target my choices at around the $35,000 mark...

Well, I like those two choices. I'm not going to suggest the American cars cause you'd be going into the V8 territory, and gas mileage is not that great. A little more than $35K and I'd say Audi A6, cause it's very comfortable, and very fast. ;)

EDIT - BTW, would you be willing to wait until November/December? I don't know your negotiation skills, but that's the best time to buy any mid-ranged sedan with all the incentives set to fly this year.

Yes those other things that come up are why I'm targeting a $35-$38 price for my car.

I've decided that late this year or very early next year as much as I love my Accord it's going to be time to retire her. So I'm looking around and I've got two main contenders and a few fringe vehicles.

;)

As for the negotiating the missus will probably handle that she's taken a few negotiating courses over the years and having seen her in action she's gotten really damn good at it.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
DarienA said:

The main contenders are:

c445235a.jpg

Acura TL

VS.

c441028a.jpg

Infiniti G35

Regardless of which one I'm definitely going with the 6 speed MT. They both have similar performance...similar horsepower, similar 0-60 performance....

I've toyed with the idea of maybe looking at Saab but the above two are the front runners.

Comments either way?

the acura tl i sold in europe as the honda accord and its by all accounts ive heard a fantastic car. i love the styling of it, very aggressive rear end but that colour is hideous.

DarienA said:
As for the negotiating the missus will probably handle that she's taken a few negotiating courses over the years and having seen her in action she's gotten really damn good at it.

See, that's even better, cause dealers will look at her and be like "oh she's just a woman who don't know shit about cars..." and then when she leaves, she'll get you guys a $45K car for a lot less, haha. Look out Tim Duncan!

As for KITT, I may make one one day, especially with it returning, and I'd add a few upgrades here and there. Maybe bug the original actor to record some stuff for me, haha.

DarienA

navanman said:
the acura tl i sold in europe as the honda accord and its by all accounts ive heard a fantastic car. i love the styling of it, very aggressive rear end but that colour is hideous.

See that's just the thing... in my mind styling-wise there is no comparison the TL looks GORGEOUS and the G35 looks Nice..... but man the G35 has a nice engine note.... the TL has always been my front runner but I do want to take the G35 for a spin just to make sure....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom