• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys X Nordics | Preview Thread

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
FL7n2cu.png

Previews:

TouchArcade (localization and Switch port impressions)
Since I had already played Ys X: Nordics’ Japanese Switch release (full game) and even played a few hours of the PS5 demo, I wanted to focus on the localization and English voice acting during the preview. So far, the voice acting and localization are both very good. I need to experience both of those elements in the final English build to see how they carry the story, but at least during the gameplay we got to see during the preview event, I’m happy with the localization so far.

Ys X: Nordics is also a breath of fresh air for Ys in its visuals, and it helps that the Switch version plays very well after its day one patch. It is funny that Ys IX and to some degree Ys VIII run and look a lot worse on Switch than Ys X, but here we are. Ys X: Nordics is Falcom’s second internal Switch release following The Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails. Falcom’s Ys games have gotten ports of varying quality on Switch, but I was curious to see how the first new Ys would feel on Switch with it being handled internally at Falcom. The answer is really good given the hardware, and better than both VIII and IX combined. Ys IX in particular is miserable on Switch. Ys X: Nordics on Switch is a port I can already safely recommend for those who were hoping to play it on the go.

Wccftech
Having been a fan of the Ys series since the Western release of Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim, I was already pretty excited for Ys X: Nordics' release, but after seeing more of it in action, I can't wait to travel to the Obelia Gulf with Adol and Karja. While it is hard to say if the naval gameplay will slow down the campaign's pace too much and if the story will deliver, what I have seen of the Cross Action gameplay feels like what the series needed to avoid getting stale with yet another iteration of the party system.

Men's Journal
Ys X: Nordics is looking pretty good so far, but I still have my reservations on some pretty key aspects. As an action-RPG it’s shaping up to be complex but satisfying, and as a naval exploration and combat game it’s… looking like a naval exploration and combat game. The key to success here is marrying the two in a way that feels good, and the jury’s still out on that. Only time will tell.

Inverse
Most of the demo revolved around a ship battle, followed by an on-foot dungeon to “liberate” an island. In both cases, the flashy action combat that’s always been at the core of Ys looks better than ever.

While Ys’ ship combat doesn’t feel as realistic as something like Assassin’s Creed, it retains the blazingly fast speed the series is known for. You have access to various forward and side-facing cannons, as well as ramming options, needing to manage cooldown times as you blow enemy ships to smithereens. It looks every bit as intuitive as melee combat, but importantly feels like something wildly new for the series at large.

An hour isn’t enough time to get a full picture of how a 60-hour RPG is going to pan out, but everything I’ve seen of Ys X: Nordics leaves me incredibly hopeful it’ll be another home run from Falcom. Ys 8 undoubtedly remains one of the finest action RPGs ever seen, and building on that incredible foundation, with better technology, could make Nordics a new high point in the series.

Nintendo Life
The Ys series has gradually been getting bigger and bigger, and Ys X: Nordics might just be Falcom's biggest Ys adventure yet. While we got a taste of chapter 4 of 10 during the preview event, NIS emphasised that this wasn't the 50% mark of the game, meaning there's plenty of optional stuff to get lost in. Plus, given the larger parties of Lacrimosa of Dana and Monstrum Nox, spending time with just Adol and Karja feels refreshing.

Noisy Pixel
On that same token, Ys X Nordics can also work fantastically for first-time players. Almost every entry in this series can be someone’s first without worry, yet Ys X is undeniably one of the most welcoming. Besides being the new hot product on the block, the relative earliness of the timeline can aid in intriguing prospective, intimidated parties, doubly so when the only earlier games chronologically aren’t exactly compelling to a more modern audience.

There’s plenty to say and peruse regarding Ys X Nordics. Its combat systems and character dynamics are wholly refreshing components providing inherently greater gameplay individuality than what the past four entries brought to the table. Still, the probably overlooked setting and premise offer a more nuanced adventure than what many would consider. The collective and malleable potential of Ys is truly boundless, and Ys X Nordics represents that reality tenfold.

The Outerhaven
Throughout the journey of Ys X: Nordics, the character that will be growing the most will be Karja. Adol is still our focal point of the story but Karja will have to see the downsides of being the Pirate Princess as well as the influence she has over the Balta Seaforce. This makes Ys X: Nordics a great entry point for those wondering if they should try out the action RPG mechanics that the series of Ys is known for. This entry also gets to have ship combat to try out for those already used to action RPGs. I hope that the ship mobility is more interesting than Skull and Bones personally but if not, at least we get to go on the land and do some great Ys combat!

v7E2W3Q.gif

Hudo

Some people online saying that the ship combat feels bad to control and is badly paced. But everything outside the ship stuff is a return to form.

Top Bottom