• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys X: Nordics - Release Date Announcement Trailer (Oct 25th)

Paltheos

YS about to hit its opus magnum entry.

This looks so much better than IX holy shit.

The question rather is how it compares to Ys VIII, which is the GOAT so far.

Napishtim trilogy are still the peak imo. Oath in Felghana in particular is the best game Falcom's ever made: Fast-paced, tough boss fights that ask of you everything at your disposal (and scale in terms of abilities based off the difficulty you selected!) and an absolutely rocking OST. Ys 8's really good though, for a party-based game. Encounter and overall design aren't as tight and the high speed action isn't as well suited to a non-isometric format, but it still puts out some good fights, the adventure is fun, and the OST is one of Falcom's finest.

I've avoided looking at much of Ys X but I'm hoping the new battle system (just the two characters afaik) allowed the team to tailor fights better to the skills available to the player. OST will be really spotty of course, but this is modern Falcom so I kinda have to accept the whiplash of jumping from an amazing track one second to total shit the next.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've got high hopes for this. I liked Ys IX more than most people (and in some ways, more than Ys VIII), but I'm also excited for a return to bright colors instead of a grayscale castle town. I'll be there on day 1 on GOG.

• Strength
Reactions: Isa
Buying it day 1 and will be playing it as soon as I'll be done with Metaphor.

v7E2W3Q.gif

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Been getting into the Ys games recently, so very happy to see we are still getting more games!

So far I've only played I (not for me) and Oath, which to me felt like a fantasic game. Also played Ark a long time ago, barely remember a thing but I sure had fun with that one too.

CosmicComet

Do you know what an opus magnum is?
Of course.

They already had it with 8. Which was the game that made Ys a surprise hit in the west.

9 was technically better in every way and certainly my favorite in the series, but didn't manage to leave the same impression despite way better traversal and combat.

10 is looking nothing short of being a throwaway Ys game in comparison to 8 in terms of impact and conceptually far less interesting than the dark fantasy leanings of 9.

10 looks ok, but overall aura-less. Having only a single other party member who is some lame viking chick doesn't help either. As opposed to 8 and 9's excellent well rounded party.

CosmicComet

Famitsu on YS9 = 35/40
Famitsu on YS10 = 34/40

Wtf
Not surprising.

Ys 9 had a varied party and cool dark fantasy concepts with the monstrums and unique traversal mechanics there within. Adol is at his oldest and most bad ass in 9.

10 has a wet behind the ears Adol that has a tame sailing theme mixed with humdrum viking style iconography and only a single party other member.

Mister Wolf

Not surprising.

Ys 9 had a varied party and cool dark fantasy concepts with the monstrums and unique traversal mechanics there within. Adol is at his oldest and most bad ass in 9.

10 has a wet behind the ears Adol that has a tame sailing theme mixed with humdrum viking style iconography and only a single party other member.

I thought 9 was excellent and waaay better than 8.

Reactions: Isa

SantaC

Gold Member
Not surprising.

Ys9 was boring with cringe party members

Krathoon

Some of the Ys games are on sale on gog. I may snag a PC copy of Ys 9. I got it on Switch.

Edit: Instead, I got Ys 7 and Ys Origins. They are too cheap to pass up.

Last edited:

CosmicComet

9 was a decent game.

8 was just much better.
Nah.

9 was better in every way, except one. The soundtrack.

8's soundtrack was a 10/10, and 9's was maybe a 7.5/10

That soundtrack and the great first impression overall puts 8 as the higher and more impactful game by far...but 9 is flat out better in the technical and gameplay improvements it made.

StereoVsn

9 was a decent game.

8 was just much better.
Yeah, VIII was the best Ys game by far. I found IX to be bland and boring, especially in its environments. Characters and setting were pretty mediocre as well.

Edit: IX had worse characters, story, environments, and I would say also gameplay. How in the world was it better in every way I can’t fathom.

Last edited:
Top Bottom