• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zenless Zone Zero vs The First Descendant

ZZZ or First Descendant?

• ZZZ

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • The First Descendant

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • I don’t play f2p slop

Votes: 15 29.4%

• Total voters

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
2 big budget Gachas released right next to each other. One is a MihoYo joint taking lots of inspiration from Persona and character action games. One from Nexon taking a lot of inspiration Warframe and Destiny. Waifus everywhere.

I have played a few hours of each and both are definitely high quality. It’s a goddamn shame that both of these games are f2p gachas because they would both make amazing full price games without the gacha hooks.

Ultimately I think I will stick with First Descendant and dump ZZZ because I like the gunplay and the graphics. ZZZ presentation is great and very slick but it definitely feels like a game built with phones in mind. I’m actually shocked that First Descendant runs on ps4/ xbone. Even on a 4090 I had to turn on frame gen to use raytracing but it looks great. Anecdotally a ton of my steam friends are playing it too.

What say you?

Reactions: Isa

Nankatsu

I sense there's one missing option on that pool.

Missing Episode 9 GIF by The Simpsons

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm not too much into those kind of games but I'll go with ZZZ, since it appeals to me more than FD both gameplay and aesthetic wise.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Didn’t get into either.

ZZZ is all style no substance.

First D wasn’t running or looking that well, and felt like a bad kind of grind was in store for me. Everything I shot at was retarded.

If I recommended one it would be ZZZ if you don’t care about gameplay much.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don’t care for neither of them since I don’t play online only F2P gatcha games.

No, Wuthering Waves.

Tik Tok Stare GIF

john-travolta-well.gif

Where's the PS5 version?

Everything I shot at was retarded.
This unfortunately isn't true, even though I wanted it to be. Instead, you will encounter a very steep difficulty curve and hit your first wall once you reach the 4th environment.

I can only imagine the insanity of what the game's hard mode will be when I unlock it. I'm expecting every enemy to do headshot damage instead of just two enemy types.

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
I'm leaning towards TFD since I've had fun with it and put a good bit of time in. It says I'm at 48 hrs, with another roughly 32-39 in the open beta last year. I don't mind ZZZ but I do get the overlap despite different approaches. The censorship in ZZZ put me off, I don't trust Mihoyo much due to that. Altering or editing things people have paid for is scummy, though with ZZZ it was before launch.

The overlap with all of these character collect-a-thons is their F2P nature and grind. Man its rough. I also don't have the time to devote to so many different games. Got a full time job(plus OT) a girlfriend and many other hobbies. I wish I could enjoy some others, namely Brown Dust 2, Nikke and Wuthering Waves. Also I wish they've port those games over to console. I don't game on cell phones and not much on my PC. I have a very physical job and my setup is not kind to good posture or long-term comfort. I know I could make a setup where I stream or cable to my TV. I already do that but the image isn't that good and the input lag is nausea inducing. I'm not dropping that huge wad of spacebucks on a new rig until a year or two from now, maybe later.

I almost quit TFD a few days ago. My friends got me to stay. The free to play model is terrible when it comes to game design. I couldn't care less about the story, is wannabe superhero shite with a Thanos knockoff(along with everything else). But the ladies are nice and when it clicks, it can be a good bit of fun. It gets stale after a while though, as its just running through the same content again and again to re-level characters and collect stuff to improve other stuff etc. Dear god I wish these GAAS devs would try something else, there has to be a better way to sustain themselves and respect the consumer's time more, in fact I think GAAS games are the most egregious when it comes to this. Our time is limited and to them, our wallets an infinite mine that can be further tapped incessantly.

Sorry to rant, I'd hopped off the GAAS train for a while, and I still go back to "normal" games that deliver the goods without gatekeeping content for "player retention" purposes to generate recurrent spending.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
I'm leaning towards TFD since I've had fun with it and put a good bit of time in. It says I'm at 48 hrs, with another roughly 32-39 in the open beta last year. I don't mind ZZZ but I do get the overlap despite different approaches. The censorship in ZZZ put me off, I don't trust Mihoyo much due to that. Altering or editing things people have paid for is scummy, though with ZZZ it was before launch.

The overlap with all of these character collect-a-thons is their F2P nature and grind. Man its rough. I also don't have the time to devote to so many different games. Got a full time job(plus OT) a girlfriend and many other hobbies. I wish I could enjoy some others, namely Brown Dust 2, Nikke and Wuthering Waves. Also

BD2 is very user-friendly. No grinding and generous rates. It deserves to earn more money. I wish they made a priced console version on the same foundations.

Out of these two games, ZZZ is my pick. It also respects players time. The only downside I found so far is how scarce it is in giving pulls.

Isa

Gold Member
BD2 is very user-friendly. No grinding and generous rates. It deserves to earn more money. I wish they made a priced console version on the same foundations.

Out of these two games, ZZZ is my pick. It also respects players time. The only downside I found so far is how scarce it is in giving pulls.
That's good to know, I like the look of BD2's combat as well. I might give it a go eventually. Nice to hear about ZZZ's quality, though I'm not surprised about the low pull rate after Genhsin. My friends and I bailed pretty quick after very low rates.

Nankatsu

john-travolta-well.gif

Where's the PS5 version?

Yeah, that's where Kuro Games missed hard. But it's understandable. PC & Mobile versions were already giving tons of problems at launch.

Adding consoles to the mix would do them even more harm. But it's a missed opportunity nonetheless.

From what I've seen seems like they've begun testing some things with the PS5. So I would say maybe by the end of the year, or if they are bold enough, launch when Genshin's next region drops.

Last edited:

Aenima

Playing ZZZ and its great. Much better than i expected from looking at pre release gameplay videos. Was convinced that i would not stick with it and just downloaded it to try it, and i love it, and might stick with it for a good amount of time.

First Descedent is just not my type of game, but if i was into looter shooters i would be playing it too.

ssringo

BD2 is very user-friendly. No grinding and generous rates.
Sounds good; will give it a look. I'm so sick of gachas with garbage pull rates on top of a snail pace of obtaining said pulls. Like, you want me to buy a $15-$30 outfit but can't be assed to let me pull the character? Get the fuck out of here. I've given the Azur Lane devs far more money than I probably should over the years for outfits just because I can actually get the characters I want without carefully hoarding everything for months.

Aenima

Sounds good; will give it a look. I'm so sick of gachas with garbage pull rates on top of a snail pace of obtaining said pulls. Like, you want me to buy a $15-$30 outfit but can't be assed to let me pull the character? Get the fuck out of here. I've given the Azur Lane devs far more money than I probably should over the years for outfits just because I can actually get the characters I want without carefully hoarding everything for months.
That's good to know, I like the look of BD2's combat as well. I might give it a go eventually. Nice to hear about ZZZ's quality, though I'm not surprised about the low pull rate after Genhsin. My friends and I bailed pretty quick after very low rates.
If you guy are interested in trying Brown Dust 2, do it right now cuz they are still giving away a limited character for free and shes pretty good (17 days left untill she goes away). BD2 is super generous. Pull rates are 3% (not as good as Nikke 4%) but the game gives away alot of tickets for the gacha, so players can easily get most characters. Plus thers other ways for players to obtain the characters outside the gacha.

• Strength
Reactions: Isa

llLeonhart

I like ZZZ style, music, and combat gameplay. But I loathe how furry it is.

The First Descendant is decent, if a bit grindy. So that is my pick

None. They both somewhat appeal to my tastes but not enough to justify dedicating my time to them. Maybe I'll give it another go when they get more content.

Top Bottom