We already have a catch all #gamergate thread, but this is new news on the issue, and thus deserving of a new thread solely about recent events. Importantly were getting commentary, or a lack thereof, from games companies. There is a thread in the OT on the Utah State death threats focused on the gun control angle, but I think there is a relevant discussion to be had here from the games angle.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/16/t...omen-video-game-threats-anita-sarkeesian.html
Personally I think its shocking that EA, Activision and TakeTwo declined to make any comment against these death threats. Letting the ESA handle it is not enough.
Now that this issue has reached the front page of one of the most widely read newspapers in America, do games companies need to step forward and address the issue of violence against women who participate in gaming culture?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/16/t...omen-video-game-threats-anita-sarkeesian.html
Anita Sarkeesian, a feminist cultural critic, has for months received death and rape threats from opponents of her recent work challenging the stereotypes of women in video games. Bomb threats for her public talks are now routine. One detractor created a game in which players can click their mouse to punch an image of her face.
Not until Tuesday, though, did Ms. Sarkeesian feel compelled to cancel a speech, planned at Utah State University. The day before, members of the university administration received an email warning that a shooting massacre would be carried out at the event. And under Utah law, she was told, the campus police could not prevent people with weapons from entering her talk.
This will be the deadliest school shooting in American history, and Im giving you a chance to stop it, said the email, which bore the moniker Marc Lépine, the name of a man who killed 14 women in a mass shooting in Montreal in 1989 before taking his own life.
The threats against Ms. Sarkeesian are the most noxious example of a weekslong campaign to discredit or intimidate outspoken critics of the male-dominated gaming industry and its culture. The instigators of the campaign are allied with a broader movement that has rallied around the Twitter hashtag #GamerGate, a term adopted by those who see ethical problems among game journalists and political correctness in their coverage. The more extreme threats, though, seem to be the work of a much smaller faction and aimed at women. Major game companies have so far mostly tried to steer clear of the vitriol, leading to calls for them to intervene.
Game studios, developers and major publishers need to vocally speak up against the harassment of women and say this behavior is unacceptable, Ms. Sarkeesian said in an interview.
Representatives for several major game publishers Electronic Arts, Activision Blizzard and Take-Two Interactive Software declined to comment.
Threats of violence and harassment are wrong, the Entertainment Software Association, the main lobbying group for big game companies, said in a statement. They have to stop. There is no place in the video game community or our society for personal attacks and threats.
...
Personally I think its shocking that EA, Activision and TakeTwo declined to make any comment against these death threats. Letting the ESA handle it is not enough.
Now that this issue has reached the front page of one of the most widely read newspapers in America, do games companies need to step forward and address the issue of violence against women who participate in gaming culture?