• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 hour trip on boat. Straight to work after arrival. Can't sleep on boat. What do?

nkarafo

So here's my situation. I am currently on a boat for a 10 hour night trip. Once i get there a car will drive me to work (construction, pretty heavy stuff). There i will work for 10 hours straight at least because we need to finish and get out of there.

I didn't sleep before the night trip because i thought boss will get a cabin for me. He didn't though. So now i'm already up since early morning and i still have at least 6 hours of trip left. I very feel tired but i can't sleep if i'm not comfortable on a bed. I tried but no dice.

Am i screwed?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
how could you be expected to start a ten hour shift after already being awake for over ten hours
you're OWED that cabin man
this is the bossman's fault

nkarafo

how could you be expected to start a ten hour shift after already being awake for over ten hours
you're OWED that cabin man
this is the bossman's fault
I know right? He expects me to just sleep on a seat or something. I mean, i see a lot of people around me sleeping as such. I happen to be among the ones who can't. This is bullshit.

TrainedRage

Banned
Dude we are in a global pandemic. All you have to say is you have a sore throat and are starting to get a headache. They pay you to stay home.

nkarafo

Good luck, why didn’t you get any sleep the night before a big and important job ? That’s on you.
I did sleep the night before. Woke up in the morning as always. Thing is, i cant sleep during the trip which is going to take the whole current night.

DESTROYA

I did sleep the night before. Woke up in the morning as always. Thing is, i cant sleep during the trip which is going to take the whole current night.
Sounds like you didn’t.🤷‍♂️
I didn't sleep before the night trip because i thought boss will get a cabin for me. He didn't though. So now i'm already up since early morning and i still have at least 6 hours of trip left. I very feel tired but i can't sleep if i'm not comfortable on a bed. I tried but no dice.

Am i screwed?

I feel ya i can't sleep on transport or if not comfortable...once got a plane back to the uk from australia after being up partying for literaly 3 days and still couldn't sleep on the 2 plane 36 hour journey back.

If you are young enough you'll get through it some how...get a good meal packed with carbs and protein and some caffine in you before you start.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Get off your phone and go to bed. Even if you never lose consciousness, lay in darkness with your eyes closed. Then get up and go to work and drink some coffee. Also eat some protein. Supplement with caffeine and sugar throughout the day, then go to bed.

Next time, if you have trouble sleeping, take 3 benadryl when you go to bed.

Last edited:
Sound like a genuinely dangerous situation, heavy construction while awake nearly 24 hours?

Try your best to sleep, focus on your breathing and hope you drift off. Usually works for me

Good luck

borborygmus

7071fdaf4bb72530f3f2fada7b7a95ed.gif

Get a decent amount of coffee in you while working, assuming it works on you (it doesn't for me for some reason).

nkarafo

Thankfully, the car trip was also 3 hours long and it was much more comfortable. So i apologized to the driver (who also works for the company) for me not being a good road trip partner and got my slumber. I also won't handle any heavy machinery today so its all good.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Thankfully, the car trip was also 3 hours long and it was much more comfortable. So i apologized to the driver (who also works for the company) for me not being a good company for a road trip and got my slumber. I also won't handle any heavy machinery today so its all good.
Did you sleep on the boat ?

Hakiroto

I realise that this is many hours later and that you're either fine or asleep on the job right now but regarding being so tired before work, definitely try to avoid overloading with stimulants such as coffee and sugary snacks/drinks as they'll just leave you feeling worse later. Don't fill yourself with heavy, oily food either (typical heavy meat dishes, for example) as you'll just feel crap later, too. Stay hydrated, stretch, and try to relax. If you can't sleep (on a boat, for example), try meditation like somebody else suggested and get fresh air on the deck if possible.

Anyway, I hope you're okay and that your day is going well. Good luck!

poodaddy

I once pulled a 27 hour CQ shift in the Army, and then my relief just decided to not show up. There was no back up and noone was readily available to take my place, so I pulled another one. Then my relief was late the next day. Started my "work" at PT formation at 0615 on Tuesday, left at 1145 on Thursday.

You'll be ok OP. When it starts hitting you hard and you get dizzy and start laughing at shit for no reason and finding it hard to understand four word sentences, drink coffee and do push ups to increase blood flow and that should help a bit. Also, sounds silly, but hit yourself in the face hard. Gets your adrenaline going, which can help immensely.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I once pulled a 27 hour CQ shift in the Army, and then my relief just decided to not show up. There was no back up and noone was readily available to take my place, so I pulled another one. Then my relief was late the next day. Started my "work" at PT formation at 0615 on Tuesday, left at 1145 on Thursday.

You'll be ok OP. When it starts hitting you hard and you get dizzy and start laughing at shit for no reason and finding it hard to understand four word sentences, drink coffee and do push ups to increase blood flow and that should help a bit. Also, sounds silly, but hit yourself in the face hard. Gets your adrenaline going, which can help immensely.
Or OP could just demand to take power naps for an hour

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Sure hope you're getting paid for your time traveling.

Top Bottom