• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1280x1024 in Half-Life 1?

I recently reinstalled HL1 to play through it, but the Direct3D settings only go up to 1024x768. Since I run on an LCD with a native resolution of 1280x1024, I'd like to set it to that. Are there any command line options, patches, etc. I can install to access that resolution? Help me out! Thanks.

Buck said:
if youre playing the steam version and not the old cd version it should support up to 16x12

It's the old CD version, and I can't play HL1 source cause I have a physical copy of HL2 waiting for me in the States and I'm not gonna double-buy it (especially just to get HL1 again ;) )

Ferrio

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
It's the old CD version, and I can't play HL1 source cause I have a physical copy of HL2 waiting for me in the States and I'm not gonna double-buy it (especially just to get HL1 again ;) )

I think he means regular HL on steam.

Ferrio said:
I think he means regular HL on steam.

Right, which you can only get by buying the Gold package, which I won't cause I already own HL1 legitimately and have a copy of HL2 in the States, so I'm not rebuying.

Ferrio

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
Right, which you can only get by buying the Gold package, which I won't cause I already own HL1 legitimately and have a copy of HL2 in the States, so I'm not rebuying.

No, you download steam. You enter your HL 1 cd key. It goes "Wow you own HL! Ok here's the download for HL!".

OR (I believe this is how it goes) your install HL. Download steam. Steam goes "I see you have HL installed!" registers it and then you play through steam.

Ferrio said:
OR (I believe this is how it goes) your install HL. Download steam. Steam goes "I see you have HL installed!" registers it and then you play through steam.

Oh? Huh, wasn't aware ... I'll try that, thanks!

Ferrio is right.. I think when I double clicked half-life there's an option to "register a product I already own", and that's where you can put in your half-life 1 CD-key. You even get opposing force free regardless of whether you own it or not.

ManaByte

Gold Member
HL Source hard locks on my system before it loads the menu.

HL2 and everything else runs fine. HL Source is just borked.

Sho Nuff said:
I punched in my original HL CD-Key, and it's giving me access to Half-Life but not Half-Life Source...wtf?

Yeah. You punched in a CD-Key for half-life so you get access to half-life. Half-Life Source only comes with the Silver or Gold packages or if you get the Collecter's Edition at retail.

Why would you expect to get HL Source when you put in the CD-Key for the original game?

ManaByte said:
HL Source hard locks on my system before it loads the menu.

HL2 and everything else runs fine. HL Source is just borked.

Well at least I know I'm not the only one with that problem. I've been fucking around for the past couple of hours trying to get HL Source up and running but my system locks up everytime I try to boot it.

Guess I gotta wait for a patch. :/

ManaByte

Gold Member
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Well at least I know I'm not the only one with that problem. I've been fucking around for the past couple of hours trying to get HL Source up and running but my system locks up everytime I try to boot it.

Guess I gotta wait for a patch. :/

I got it to boot. As soon as I loaded it, I alt-tabbed out of the program when the Valve logo showed up. I waited a while, then alt-tabbed back and it was loaded.

gblues

Banned
Oh, this kicks ass. I've got one of the old, old, 1998 CD versions of Halflife so whenever I reinstall it, I have to download like 30mb worth of patches.. now I can just get the newest version directly. And I can get Opposing Forces gratis! Can't beat that.

Nathan

Top Bottom