• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

14 years ago Portugal decriminalized drugs and it paid off.

Pagusas

Elden Member
If people would just stop using drugs we wouldn't have a problem. I like the idea of getting down to WHY someone is using drugs and getting them off them. I like the idea of going hard at the people selling them. I can understand not going after the people buying them.

Osahi

No doubt, it mainly happened to me in Lisbon, not so much Porto. I'm not criticizing actually since it's better than some shady back alley deal where you'd get most places outside of Amsterdam. Just very eye opening coming from the US where things are much different.
Hate to break this to you, but those guys seldomly sell real drugs. It's often mixed zith oregano or powder sugar. They use the decriminalisation as a loophole.

If people would just stop using drugs we wouldn't have a problem. I like the idea of getting down to WHY someone is using drugs and getting them off them. I like the idea of going hard at the people selling them. I can understand not going after the people buying them.
stop taking which drugs?

Derwind

This is obvious, treat addiction like a healthcare issue and not a crime and maybe you'll actual be able to help people.

In addition, you'll have less drug trafficking in your country, less deaths associated with drug dealing...ect

Decriminalization is really the only way to go.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This is how you do it. By decriminalizing and start actual focus on treatment instead. Portugal should be commended for their efforts on this front.

Hydrus

Eh, I dont know how much I believe this article. My family lives in Portugal and they always tell me how bad it is with people on drugs and how bad crime is getting. They say it seems to get worse everyday.

When I went to Lisbon with an O'Neil t-shirt and Adidas shoes, I was hassled allot in Baixa .

But when I went to Lisbon with a polo shirt and dark shoes, they never came up to me.

Pro-tip: just to not look like a tourist

When I went to Lisbon with an O'Neil t-shirt and Adidas shoes, I was hassled allot in Baixa .

But when I went to Lisbon with a polo shirt and dark shoes, they never came up to me.

Pro-tip: just to not look like a tourist
I feel like we are veering very far off topic here

RocknRola

The chart is cases per million. It doesn't matter the population size...

When your population is (from wiki) "1,316 million (2016)" it sure as hell matters. Even half of their current overdose rate would be pretty major in relation to their own population

Eh, I dont know how much I believe this article. My family lives in Portugal and they always tell me how bad it is with people on drugs and how bad crime is getting. They say it seems to get worse everyday.

Data always trumps "what my family/friends" say. The data itself tells us addiction, consumption, infection rates (of various related diseases) and yes, even drug crimes & deaths, are all massively down since 2001.

lt519

I was just in Portugal and was surprised how many people were trying to sell us drugs. My wife and I just laughed; had no clue this was a part of that.

2MF

I was just in Portugal and was surprised how many people were trying to sell us drugs. My wife and I just laughed; had no clue this was a part of that.

This has nothing to do with the sale of drugs.

Also I get offered drugs all the time in London and their use is not decriminalized here AFAIK.

Berto

I live here for 33 years, things are a heaven compared to before. But i completely believe that your family said that, we usually think we live in the worst place ever and before "things were better" nonsense :D

MUnited83

For you.

The article is based on actual data, and people that actually remember the days before this know how bad it really was.
Your family just seems to suffer from the typical portuguese philosophy of thinking everything is getting worse all the time, every time. We're a country of pessimists.

Let's be real here, the actual helpful part of this was specifically putting time and effort into rehabilitation, not just decriminalization by itself. It's convincing people to put taxpayer dollars into the former that's the sticking point.

Top Bottom