• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

18 states sue Betsy DeVos over delay of student loan protections

Tovarisc

Eighteen states and the District of Columbia have filed suit against Education Secretary Betsy DeVos over her delay of regulations meant to provide new protections for federal student loan borrowers, particularly those at for-profit colleges.

The lawsuit, led by Massachusetts and joined by 18 other Democratic attorneys general, accuses DeVos of illegally delaying the regulations, which were finalized by the Obama administration and had been set to take effect on July 1. The rules made it easier for defrauded student loan borrowers to have their loans forgiven. They also prohibited colleges from requiring students to resolve complaints through arbitration rather than in court.
Source: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/...over-delay-of-student-loan-protections-240260

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Is now a good time to study public sector law? Because I always hear how law school is a racket but with this administration, I'm not so sure.

cameron

A reminder of the shit DeVos said when she announced the "regulatory reset" of the two Obama administration rules:
"My first priority is to protect students," said Secretary DeVos. "Fraud, especially fraud committed by a school, is simply unacceptable. Unfortunately, last year's rulemaking effort missed an opportunity to get it right. The result is a muddled process that's unfair to students and schools, and puts taxpayers on the hook for significant costs. It's time to take a step back and make sure these rules achieve their purpose: helping harmed students. It's time for a regulatory reset. It is the Department's aim, and this Administration's commitment, to protect students from predatory practices while also providing clear, fair and balanced rules for colleges and universities to follow."
https://www.ed.gov/news/press-relea...ect-students-taxpayers-higher-ed-institutions

gaiages

Banned
Ugh, what bullshit, these regulations could change so many peoples' lives, potentially (I need to look into how it makes debt forgiveness easier exactly)... figures with the Trump Administration this would happen :/

Top Bottom