• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 million pre-loads of Half Life 2

DSN2K

few days old but dont think it was posted here...

For weeks now, bits and pieces of Valve Software's "Half-Life 2," one of the year's most hotly anticipated computer games, have been trickling onto nearly 2 million computers around the world.

steam is going to crash on the 16th for sure :lol

link

DaBuddaDa

I've always been worried that Steam might not be able to handle the massive amount of connections on release day.

I'm hoping another pre-load won't be required, and all Steam does on the 16th is somehow 'unlock' the game.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
The preload on the final day should be small, maybe a few crucial client DLLs or something (so people can't crack it and run the game). Still, 2 million is an incredible number.

Bebpo

Banned
Mason said:
2 million pre-loads. That doesn't mean people have bought it yet. They don't have to purchase it.

Errr, you have to give them your credit card info and they have to do the purchase transaction to start pre-loading the game on your computer. I don't even know if it's possible to cancel before it ships since you're already getting CS:Source and that's not free.

MrparisSM

Banned
2 million worldwide ? It's going to be tough to compare to GTA:SA and Halo 2, if those are it's worldwide numbers. And the majority of fanboys are going to be purchasing it on Steam so don't expect that number to go up that much.

I can't believe how hyped up I was about this game. I even bought an All-In-wonder 9800 last year for this game(I thought it was going to come out). Now after playing some of Halo 2, I couldn't really care less about this game. I may pick it up next year. But between Halo 2+live, Doa:U+live and WoW open beta, I really just don't have time. :-/

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
MrparisSM said:
2 million worldwide ? It's going to be tough to compare to GTA:SA and Halo 2, if those are it's worldwide numbers. And the majority of fanboys are going to be purchasing it on Steam so don't expect that number to go up that much.

Haha, no.

epmode

Bebpo said:
Errr, you have to give them your credit card info and they have to do the purchase transaction to start pre-loading the game on your computer.
no you don't. i was preloading the game ~2 months before it was available for purchase.

MrparisSM

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
cs:s / cs 2 will be around long after halo 4 is out

Seeing as Halo 1 is still in the top 10 3 years later, I don't see how you could logically make that assumption about Halo 2.

Mrbob

Half Life 2 ain't got a thang on Halo 2.

Errr, you have to give them your credit card info and they have to do the purchase transaction to start pre-loading the game on your computer. I don't even know if it's possible to cancel before it ships since you're already getting CS:Source and that's not free.

Incorrect.

Bebpo

Banned
Mrbob said:
Half Life 2 ain't got a thang on Halo 2.

Incorrect.

Ok I stand corrected. But they wouldn't let 'me' personally pre-load anything until I gave them my credit card.

Top Bottom