• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 threads in 1. Favorite non famous racing game? 2. Bring back ________________________ Racing Series!

DavidGzz

Gotham Racing. Last racing game that I really liked. The sound of racking up points on a drift and the style of graphics were top tier.

PanzerCute

My favorite Racing series that many people do not know about. (unfamous) Not your favorite racing games.

You get 3 picks each:

Favorite non famous Racing games
1. Formula 1: built to win (NES)
2. Speed Devils (Dreamcast
3. Rock and Roll Racing (snes along with an online feature would be the tits!)

Bring Back:

1. Project Gotham Racing
2. Classic Burnout (not open world)
3. Drive Club
You mentioning Speed Devils made me smile, I loved that game I even had the PC version (which had another name IIRC)

The series I want to see back are:

1. Sega Rally
2. Metropolis Street Racer / Project Gotham Racing
3. Drive Club

I also dream about a new Wipeout in VR.

Reactions: pab

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Bring back

BLUR this so fucking bad
DIDDY KONG RACING
2d sprite mario kart maker style
Extreme G

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Man there are a LOT of great answers in this thread. Makes me want to bust out some old consoles.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Favorite non famous Racing games
Live for Speed
Super Woden GP
Re-volt

Bring back
Destruction Derby
Micro Machines
Lotus Turbo Challenge

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
You mentioning Speed Devils made me smile, I loved that game I even had the PC version (which had another name IIRC)

The series I want to see back are:

1. Sega Rally
2. Metropolis Street Racer / Project Gotham Racing
3. Drive Club

I also dream about a new Wipeout in VR.
Speed Devils is a Hidden Gem that I wish had a sequel or two.

a Few others I will mention:

I want a modern Paperboy (kinda a racer)
Bump and Jump (arcade, nes)
Rock and Roll Racing (Snes)
A Modern San Francisco Rush but put it some where else like Miami Rush, Ny Rush, etc.

Last edited:

Senua

tokyoex2-1687825149657.jpg

Makki

Enthusia was my most favorite PS2 sim.

TxR Drift/Kaido Racer series

TxR/Shutoku Battle series

My god yes, Tokyo Xtreme Racers last entry was a gutted out Xbox 360 almost launch title. The trailer back when E3 was a thing had me incredibly hyped for next gen highway battles and WANDERER action… I wish we had a good entry. Isnt Genki dead?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yep, it was Off Road Thunder. Can’t recall playing that one but I did play Arctic Thunder, which involved Snowmobiles.

Microsoft bought the ip, and released Hydro Thunder Hurricane back on the Xbox 360, and unfortunately that was it.
I feel like Offroad Challenge was kind of a Thunder precursor and played better than Off Road Thunder even while being an older more primitive game. The N64 port was eh though.

Then there was the plain/barren 4 Wheel Thunder on Dreamcast shoehorned in the Thunder series late in its development but it does have some charming tracks and content within...

Djin1980

Neo Member
Favorite simracing title is Automobilista 2, amazing graphics, superb FFB and it runs very well in VR. Can’t recommend it enough if you like modern but also historic cars and tracks. Also bring back Auto Modellista.

HNLS2wS.jpeg

Last edited:

professionala

Neo Member
That’s an awesome list! Here are my picks for underrated racing games that deserve more love:

**Favorite Non-Famous Racing Games:**
1. **Ridge Racer Type 4 (PS1)** - A stylish, arcade-style racer with an amazing soundtrack and unique drifting mechanics.
2. **Split/Second (PS3/Xbox 360)** - A high-octane racer where you trigger explosive set-pieces to take down opponents; super intense and fun!
3. **Auto Modellista (PS2)** - A cel-shaded gem with deep customization and a unique art style that still holds up today.

**Bring Back:**
1. **Midnight Club** - I miss the thrill of open-world racing and customization in cities around the world.
2. **Blur** - A perfect blend of Mario Kart-style power-ups with realistic racing; it needs a revival!
3. **Wipeout** - The futuristic, anti-gravity racing series with mind-blowing speed and killer design.

Preseznik

Neo Member
Non-famous:
RaceRoom Experience
rFactor 1
(famous in the sim community i guess)
Automobilista 1 (sure. sequel is "famous" and arguably better, but with the VR mod I get much better "presence" in AMS1)

Bring back:
- DiRT 2 style DiRT (no, Dirt 5 ain't it) - just remake DiRT 2 honestly
- sprite based Mario Kart (some really cool clones on Steam show it can be done well)
- Sega Arcade racing games (Daytona, Sega Rally, Scud Race, etc etc)

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm pretty much good. Forza Horizon 5 for arcade/semi realistic needs, Automobilista 2 (also for VR), and Dirt Rally 2, pretty much covers all my racing needs.

..Well, actually, I change my mind! I do enjoy playing Outrun 2 emulated. So I would love to see a remaster/remake of that.

Last edited:

Danknugz

retro:
road rage
ivan "ironman" stewart off road racing

conceptual:
NFS in the style of NFS1/2 but built ground up for VR
forza horizon VR built off google maps in the same way flight simulator is

professionala

Neo Member
One of my favorite non-famous racing games is **"Street Legal Racing: Redline."** It's a gem that lets you build, customize, and race cars from scratch. The game’s detailed customization options, including engine swaps and tuning, provide a hands-on experience that's both challenging and rewarding. The thrill of piecing together a car and seeing it perform on the streets is unmatched.

**Bring back "Street Legal Racing" series!** This series deserves a modern revival. The unique blend of car customization and street racing could captivate a new generation of gamers if given a fresh update. A return of the series with improved graphics, more car models, and expansive open-world maps would be a dream come true for fans of hardcore car customization games.
car-parking-multiplayer-mod-apk-1-1024x575.webp

For those who enjoy immersive experiences, "Car Parking Multiplayer" offers a similar vibe but with a twist—combining realistic parking challenges with an open-world environment where you can interact with other players, customize your vehicle, and explore the city. It’s a game where precision and creativity are rewarded, making it a great pick for anyone who enjoys the combination of car simulation and multiplayer interaction.

These games might not be as famous as others, but they certainly provide a satisfying and unique racing experience!

Top Bottom