• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

I want to get an action cam that is inside my motorcycle helmet...
Was looking at camera glasses, but I don't think the tech is there, but it's close...

Here's a couple links:
Some Racing
Motorcycle Track Day

Only thing is that the FOV is kinda low on those Pivothead glasses.
Also that they only have 8GB of internal memory...
Found others with high FOV that looked promising,
but reviews online say they're awesome, until they fail.
(Also use Micro SD)

Hope they get better in the near future.

Whoa! I'm so jealous right now, it's not even funny.

Looks like so much fun.

Evo X

PK28cq0.jpg

2014 street triple r. not exactly the z, but hey, good dealers get my money. also, man, it PAYS to be nice to 'em. :-D

Welcome to the Triple Brotherhood. :D

You're gonna love it!

Dougald

I want to get an action cam that is inside my motorcycle helmet...
Was looking at camera glasses, but I don't think the tech is there, but it's close...

Here's a couple links:
Some Racing
Motorcycle Track Day

Only thing is that the FOV is kinda low on those Pivothead glasses.
Also that they only have 8GB of internal memory...
Found others with high FOV that looked promising,
but reviews online say they're awesome, until they fail.
(Also use Micro SD)

Hope they get better in the near future.

GoPro is still really the definitive for this, thought not quite "inside". I expect once Skully releases their helmet, they'll look at one with a forward-facing camera, too

Dougald

Yamaha R3, these new smaller-capacity bikes are coming in fast. Think it looks really nice. Yamaha are really knocking it out of the park recently with entry-level bikes that look like real motorcycles instead of pale imitations.

hmwGj4A.jpg

Dougald

Without question, the problem with the KTM though, is its price at £5,000GBP. Far, far too much for that class of machine, IMO... same problem as the Ninja 300 (at least it has ABS). Honda have it right with their (still a little pricey at £4300) CBR300

Motorcycles are just expensive these days I guess.

Yeah, though it's nice there's the possibility at least of getting a less powerful bike that was also built to be the best it can be. (instead of getting something with mostly bargain bin parts and a finish that's already started rusting on the factory floor).

Dougald

Agreed, having said that the pricing is better on the CBR, there is no contest between it and the Ninja in my opinion - the CBR is more like a scaled-up 125cc, whereas the Ninja is a sportbike in its own right.

I just don't see why anyone would spend that much new on something they won't have for more than a year or two, but obviously they do!

Jackson

Agreed, having said that the pricing is better on the CBR, there is no contest between it and the Ninja in my opinion - the CBR is more like a scaled-up 125cc, whereas the Ninja is a sportbike in its own right.

I just don't see why anyone would spend that much new on something they won't have for more than a year or two, but obviously they do!

I bought my Ninja 300 for $6,000 new sold it for $4,700. I got a great little reliable bike with ABS and a slipper clutch and only lost $1,300 on it.

No regrets! :)

MutFox

Banned
GoPro is still really the definitive for this, thought not quite "inside". I expect once Skully releases their helmet, they'll look at one with a forward-facing camera, too

That new Sony Action Cam looks really good too...
120FPS at 720p. (Also does 1080p but at lower FPS)

Reviews seem put it over the new GoPro's...

Dougald

These cable oiler dealies really work. Saved a tenner on a new throttle cable for the CBR (sticky throttle, only "problem" I could really find with it)

S6zxo85.jpg

During the MSF we were taught not to ride the middle of the lane as oil from cars would tend to deposit here. So here I was today riding off center on my lane when a fucking car passes me on my lane. First reaction was relief that I didn't get clipped. Second reaction was anger and I wanted to buzz the driver and flip her off. Then saner heads prevailed and I just brushed it off and kept my cool.

Maybe I shouldn't leave such a gap inviting cagers to take advantage of it. Anyone else run into this scenario? Any tips on preventing this in the future?

Dougald

During the MSF we were taught not to ride the middle of the lane as oil from cars would tend to deposit here. So here I was today riding off center on my lane when a fucking car passes me on my lane. First reaction was relief that I didn't get clipped. Second reaction was anger and I wanted to buzz the driver and flip her off. Then saner heads prevailed and I just brushed it off and kept my cool.

Maybe I shouldn't leave such a gap inviting cagers to take advantage of it. Anyone else run into this scenario? Any tips on preventing this in the future?

In the UK the government way is to always ride in the centre - there is less oil there now than there used to be thanks to modern design. Check out roadcraft for a more thorough look at positioning

As to your story, I almost always ride in the centre and that happened to me once, in fact about two months ago. All I could really have done is what I did, hand on the horn to make sure he knew I was there, brake to get behind him asap. Guy was a moron.

Were you in a blocking position? For instance, if you're on a 2-lane (each direction) road, if you're in the right lane you should be in the left tire track, or if you're in the left lane you should be in the right tire track. There are always exceptions but this is what's generally advocated.

I tend to ride mostly in the middle till I get to a corner and then move outside to lean into the corner. But then again there is no hard and fast rule. You can ride where you feel comfortable. I think most people find outside or middle to be the safest. But then again when I get ready to over take I am on the inside.

Also another tip is to try and ride a little bit faster than the traffic flow. I feel much safer with no one in front of me than a tool bag that don't know how to drive in front of me.

Keep going you will find your riding style as you put more miles on the bike

Dougald

The weather this October has just been unseasonably fantastic. By all rights I should be freezing my arse off, but it's still warm enough to forego the thermal gear.

A buddy of mine sent me this

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/2jq46s/i_did_not_lawyer_up_or_hit_the_gym_instead_i_quit/

http://imgur.com/a/RPa0L

My first question to him was "When are we doing this?" and he said "Never now that I have a kid". What a bummer.

What a trip, great photos. I'll have to get around to arranging my next excursion someday. Also re-confirms my desire to ride North America...

In fact, I just read that they are planning to bring back the UK > Denmark Ferry service soon. I quite fancy England > Denmark > Germany > Netherlands > Belgium > France > England....

Dougald

I wouldn't dream of setting foot (or wheel) in the Netherlands without seeing one of the great Buell collections of Western Europe...

Dougald

Good stuff, I have always wanted to head over to Norway to do the Atlantic Road but I think the 100 mile tank on the Aprilia would drive me mental

God I wish more bikes would have a decent range, I can barely make 120 miles out of the Street Triple before I'm running on fumes. The ST1100 did get me about 250 miles, but that's because the fuel tank was about the size of a Street Triple.

Just a tip for future threads: put "motorcycle" in the thread line. I was looking for a motorcycle OT for the longest time and didn't think one existed. Then someone mentioned "2 wheel GAF" in another motorcycle advice thread, so I was able to find it then.

Anyway, I'm a big time newbie and am seeking your guys' advice, not only on what first-time motorcycle to get, but if I should even get a motorcycle in the first place. I'm living on my own, have no dependents, and 100% of my life (social and work) is currently extremely local, within 20 miles of each other. I have no car right now but need transportation other than the bus routes, and I've always liked the idea of a motorcycle, so I figured that'd be the better option over a car for right now. They're cheaper initially, cheaper on mileage, and are damn cool and fun. Anything wrong in my thinking so far?

Okay, so I looked over advice threads as I suggested earlier. The most common bit I've come across is: "wear the gear!" What gear, exactly? I know helmet, jacket, boots, gloves. Anything more? I was also told not to purchase 250cc, others said not to purchase anything higher than 650cc. I'm assuming there is preference in play, even for first bikes, but I don't have the slightest clue what "cc" even means. Care to explain to someone completely out of the know mechanically? Also, I'd ideally be using this bike for work, school, and all else--how do you guys deal with rainy days? Ride to work in clothes you can get wet, bringing your dress shirts in a bag or something? Stupid question, but something I'd like to be told anyway.

As for what "style" of bike I'd prefer--I'm not really sure. I don't want to look too "sportsy" and I don't want to look too "biker". At the same time, I'm not particularly worried about how I look like, so if there's a starter bike you're adamant is best for beginners, please suggest it to me, regardless of how ugly it may be. All I know is that I want something relatively quiet and smooth. (I don't want to be that dick that wakes up the apartment complex at 5AM going to work with the "RTU RTU RTU RUTHURHUR".

What classes to take I'm not sure on, but that's something I can look up with ease. Umm... I live in Orange County, CA if that's a factor at all into what type of bike best suits my circumstances. I'm 20 years old. 6'2" and 150lbs. (Generally skinny, trying to bulk up.) For those who have a sense of fashion when pairing bikes with riders, I have brown hair and brown eyes, slightly darker skin, but still considered white.

Okie dokie day. Think that's all the information I can give lol.
Thanks for the help 2 Wheel Gaf.

Dougald

Just a tip for future threads: put "motorcycle" in the thread line. I was looking for a motorcycle OT for the longest time and didn't think one existed. Then someone mentioned "2 wheel GAF" in another motorcycle advice thread, so I was able to find it then.

Yeah, I've been thinking for a while we need a new OT with a more recognisable name, newbie advice, etc. But then someone would have to write it....

Anyway, I'm a big time newbie and am seeking your guys' advice, not only on what first-time motorcycle to get, but if I should even get a motorcycle in the first place. I'm living on my own, have no dependents, and 100% of my life (social and work) is currently extremely local, within 20 miles of each other. I have no car right now but need transportation other than the bus routes, and I've always liked the idea of a motorcycle, so I figured that'd be the better option over a car for right now. They're cheaper initially, cheaper on mileage, and are damn cool and fun. Anything wrong in my thinking so far?

Nothing wrong with that, as long as you don't mind being limited on luggage/having to go out in all weathers

Okay, so I looked over advice threads as I suggested earlier. The most common bit I've come across is: "wear the gear!" What gear, exactly? I know helmet, jacket, boots, gloves. Anything more? I was also told not to purchase 250cc, others said not to purchase anything higher than 650cc. I'm assuming there is preference in play, even for first bikes, but I don't have the slightest clue what "cc" even means. Care to explain to someone completely out of the know mechanically? Also, I'd ideally be using this bike for work, school, and all else--how do you guys deal with rainy days? Ride to work in clothes you can get wet, bringing your dress shirts in a bag or something? Stupid question, but something I'd like to be told anyway.

'cc' refers the the displacement of the bike in cubic centimetres. Generally, the higher cc your engine, the MORE POWER you get. Of course, size of bike, type of engine, etc comes into play too (a 1200cc Harley, for example, isn't going to be quicker than a 600cc inline 4 sportbike), but generally cc = power

As an Englishman I am an expert on rainy days, I just wear waterproof textiles at all times, with work clothes underneath. You shouldn't be wearing anything other than biking gear while riding anyway, no matter the weather

As for what "style" of bike I'd prefer--I'm not really sure. I don't want to look too "sportsy" and I don't want to look too "biker". At the same time, I'm not particularly worried about how I look like, so if there's a starter bike you're adamant is best for beginners, please suggest it to me, regardless of how ugly it may be. All I know is that I want something relatively quiet and smooth. (I don't want to be that dick that wakes up the apartment complex at 5AM going to work with the "RTU RTU RTU RUTHURHUR".

What classes to take I'm not sure on, but that's something I can look up with ease. Umm... I live in Orange County, CA if that's a factor at all into what type of bike best suits my circumstances. I'm 20 years old. 6'2" and 150lbs. (Generally skinny, trying to bulk up.) For those who have a sense of fashion when pairing bikes with riders, I have brown hair and brown eyes, slightly darker skin, but still considered white.

As you're in the USA I'm going to get in there first and tell you most american riders seem to start on something like a Ninja 250 or 300. Good resale value and small, so easier to handle for a beginner. You'll probably outgrow it in 1-2 years, but better you outgrow a small bike fast than get something you can't handle. I'd say as you're not going through a ridiculous training regime like us poor Europeans have to sit through, that it's probably best to avoid anything over 500cc as a first, but everyone is different. Are you looking at new or used?

I know America is land of the free (from horrendous motorcycle license requirements), but the general consensus seems to be go get an MSF course under your belt as they should set you right. Training, training, training is the key. I am sure someone from West Coast 2 wheel GAF can recommend somewhere....?

Then after a year or so you can get a Triumph Street Triple, like everyone else in this thread!

Fixed1979

We like lurking in the dark corners of GAF, being easy to find would ruin this for us.

If you have the cash just find a training course and do it. I'm sure someone from your area can make a recommendation. This is IMO the best way to get started, you'll get to try quite a few different styles of bikes to find one that suits you, and you'll do it under the supervision of experienced riders.

I'm also 100% certain that this is the first time that someone has given their eye colour when asking for bike recommendations. So if nothing else you got that going for you. =)

I'm not a mechanical guy either but here's a bit on CC, hopefully I don't embarrass myself.

From Google
CC =cc indicates cubic centimeters. Cubic centimeters is a measure of volume. When used to describe an engine, this is about the total volume of the cylinders of the engine which can be filled with a fuel / air mixture. This is often called the displacement.

Basically it's engine size, and power. Generally the smaller the CC the less powerful the bike is compared to larger CC bikes. For sportsbikes, 300-600-1000 are significant differences and each jump would be a jump in power, but once you see 600-650-675 it gets a bit different and you can't assume that the 675 would produce the most HP or be the quickest bike...

The amount of people that want to ride a motorcycle on GAF always surprises me. There was a thread a bit ago in the OT that was something along the lines of "What do you wish you could do / buy" and a good amount of people posted bikes. Everyone seemed to say the danger wasn't worth it. It's a shame.

Dougald

The danger is worth it, but it's kind of a catch-22 in that you have to ride first to realize that. Making that leap is hard

Duderz

Banned
You'll definitely want to take the MSF course - I live in San Diego, but I ended up taking my MSF course in Orange County, in Fullerton. (I had a free pass to do so!) The cost is $250, and they provide the bike and helmet. I believe you need to provide gloves and shoes that cover your ankles.

Ask the instructors what they recommend as your first bike. You'll definitely not want something as small as a 250cc unless you find a good deal on Craigslist, because you will outgrow it. My girlfriend is 5'10 and has a 250cc Yamaha V-Star, and she said she outgrew it by the time she rode it home. Besides, living in Orange County, you will want something with more power. All the bikes the MSF course provides are 250cc, and, assuming Fullerton is the only location you can take the MSF at in Orange County, they provided some dirt bikes, Honda Rebels, and some Hyosungs....you will see how small they are once you sit on them.

Also, don't buy brand new for your first bike.

Watevaman

You don't "outgrow" a motorcycle. Even the average 250 is never used to 100% of its capabilities by the rider. As I've said before, the reason you get a 250 (or a 500) isn't for nothing, it's to learn the controls of a bike and how to react in different situations that would get you in trouble on a larger bike. There's no way your girlfriend "outgrew" a motorcycle in the ride home unless you rode 1,000+ miles through cities, backroads, twisties, highways, etc.

As you're in the USA I'm going to get in there first and tell you most american riders seem to start on something like a Ninja 250 or 300. Good resale value and small, so easier to handle for a beginner. You'll probably outgrow it in 1-2 years, but better you outgrow a small bike fast than get something you can't handle. I'd say as you're not going through a ridiculous training regime like us poor Europeans have to sit through, that it's probably best to avoid anything over 500cc as a first, but everyone is different. Are you looking at new or used?

I'm definitely looking at used for my first bike. I expect to fall, bump, and scratch quite a bit since I've never ridden before. Are Ninjas considered durable? Would love to be able to beat it up a bit while also being able to rely on it.

Another question, now that I've looked up reviews for the Ninjas. What is "ABS" and why might it warrant a half a thousand dollar increase in price? Is that something that a beginner should be worrying about to begin with?

I know America is land of the free (from horrendous motorcycle license requirements), but the general consensus seems to be go get an MSF course under your belt as they should set you right. Training, training, training is the key. I am sure someone from West Coast 2 wheel GAF can recommend somewhere....?

If you have the cash just find a training course and do it. I'm sure someone from your area can make a recommendation. This is IMO the best way to get started, you'll get to try quite a few different styles of bikes to find one that suits you, and you'll do it under the supervision of experienced riders.

You'll definitely want to take the MSF course - I live in San Diego, but I ended up taking my MSF course in Orange County, in Fullerton. (I had a free pass to do so!) The cost is $250, and they provide the bike and helmet. I believe you need to provide gloves and shoes that cover your ankles.

Thanks for the details guys! I'll look into that Fullerton MSF course. About 30 minutes away from me, so that's convenient enough. Do you know how long this takes to complete, or does that depend on the frequency of your attendance and your progression in general?

Also another question that's probably dumb, but do I need to do anything special with the DMV? Do I need a certain license to ride a bike, or will the training cover that?

I'm also 100% certain that this is the first time that someone has given their eye colour when asking for bike recommendations. So if nothing else you got that going for you. =)

Welp. :|
What can I say? Styyyyle.

Then after a year or so you can get a Triumph Street Triple, like everyone else in this thread!

Quick Google images search. Consensus: TST = uguu~

Yeah, I wouldn't count on it being cheap or necessarily even cheaper... but you'll have way more fun doing it than driving a car.

Motorcycling is expensive? Moreso than driving cars? I had the opposite impression, so could you clarify for me? Around $5,000.00 price range for new bikes, better on mileage right? Is the upkeep more demanding maybe? Needed gear more expensive than I'm taking into account?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
I'll start looking into used 500CC Ninjas for now. :D

Duderz

Banned
You don't "outgrow" a motorcycle. Even the average 250 is never used to 100% of its capabilities by the rider. As I've said before, the reason you get a 250 (or a 500) isn't for nothing, it's to learn the controls of a bike and how to react in different situations that would get you in trouble on a larger bike. There's no way your girlfriend "outgrew" a motorcycle in the ride home unless you rode 1,000+ miles through cities, backroads, twisties, highways, etc.

I'm being a bit facetious about her comment of outgrowing her bike on the way home. Her 250 bike has definitely served its purpose - between a low seat height, low HP, and light weight, it has definitely given her the right boost of confidence that is necessary for all of us at the beginning. She started riding in April, and has put in over 4k mi though, so she's definitely ready for something more. (She has her eyes on a Triumph Scrambler) I've known guys whose first bike was a Yamaha R6, so between the two, I'd say she definitely made the right decision in choosing a first bike.

In my opinion, if you're going to buy a 250cc or 300cc bike, buy used, buy cheap, learn it front and back, and you'll be more than ready to trade up when the next riding season comes. Fortunately for Letterbomb, being in SoCal, you can ride all year round!

The MSF course lasts only a few days - one evening in a classroom, then a Saturday and Sunday out in a parking lot where they teach you all sorts of important maneuvers. It's not a big time commitment at all. Regarding the DMV, taking the MSF allows you to bypass the riding portion of the test required by the DMV. Once you pass the MSF course, you can simply walk into the DMV, take the written portion of the test, and get your motorcycle license then and there. Taking the MSF course is also recognized by your insurance company, and will lower your insurance!

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/2015-yamaha-yzf-r3-is-further-proof-its-a-good-time-to-1647273854

This article might be some good reading material also for a good first bike...just don't spend 5k on a 2015 model!

Dougald

Another question, now that I've looked up reviews for the Ninjas. What is "ABS" and why might it warrant a half a thousand dollar increase in price? Is that something that a beginner should be worrying about to begin with?

ABS is your anti-lock braking system. Basically when you brake hard, the computer will pulse the brake on/off to stop the wheel locking up, so you can brake harder without skidding/sliding the bike down the road.

It's worthwhile on a bike as it considerably reduces stopping distance, but you're not too likely to get an ABS model used as it's only fairly recently been available on anything but the high end bikes. This is partially because the EU will soon mandate that all but the smallest motorcycles come with ABS.

In my opinion, if you're going to buy a 250cc or 300cc bike, buy used, buy cheap, learn it front and back, and you'll be more than ready to trade up when the next riding season comes. Fortunately for Letterbomb, being in SoCal, you can ride all year round!

Yep, my wife got bored of her 125 in what, 6 months? Buy something nice and cheap that you won't feel too torn up about if you drop it on the driveway.

But then I did my UK direct access and bought a Triumph Bonneville so really, do as I say not as I do.. especially as I dinged the tank on my Bonnie the first day I got it by dropping a disc lock.

Also stay the hell away from Chinese bikes if you're not mechanically minded. I speak from experience.

Fixed1979

ABS is your anti-lock braking system. Basically when you brake hard, the computer will pulse the brake on/off to stop the wheel locking up, so you can brake harder without skidding/sliding the bike down the road.

It's worthwhile on a bike as it considerably reduces stopping distance, but you're not too likely to get an ABS model used as it's only fairly recently been available on anything but the high end bikes. This is partially because the EU will soon mandate that all but the smallest motorcycles come with ABS.

I just wanted to add that it sounds like you will be riding in all weather including rain, ABS will be considerably more valuable in the wet. To get an idea of the benefits check youtube, I'm sure there's lots of videos showing the difference between ABS and non-ABS bikes in the wet. Though Dougald is right, you'll probably have issues finding a smaller used bike with ABS equipped.

42 horsepower for a 300cc single? That is really not bad at all.

It's a twin :)

I still want a small sportbike that has more premium components on it. I had such a blast when I test rode an EX500 for someone and I thought it would be amazing to have an even smaller package, but with the amenities of a 600 supersport (nice suspension brakes, etc.).

2 Wheel Gaf, you guys helped a bunch today. My new favorite community thread.
Kawasaki Ninja 500R is what I've found in my research. How is this for my first bike? Which year should I be looking at? How many miles should I try to buy one at? (I'm looking for used). Any tips or suggestions in general still appreciated as well.

Watevaman

Ninja 500 is a great first bike, as is the GS500 (as can be attested by me and a few others in this thread). Miles don't matter as long as it's been maintained. There are people out there who will tell you "don't buy a bike with over 10k miles" but it really doesn't matter, and there is also a thing as too few miles, because then you get into having to replace dryrotten rubber parts and stuff.

I don't know much about the Ninja 500's design except that it was pretty similar to the GS500 but had liquid cooling. I'm pretty sure there were no big changes, if any, throughout the years so there shouldn't be an advantage to getting one year over another except price. They made tons of them, so parts will be easily available, and I know there's some forums out there for it.

If you know someone who's had bikes and even better who has worked on bikes, take them along when you go to look at bikes you find. Check for marks that mean the bike's been dropped. Simple scrapes usually indicate low (or no) speed drops, whereas longer horizontal scrapes indicate higher speed drops. If the bike has been dropped, it's not the end of the world, just make sure everything is straightened out and there's no engine damage. I also recommend that you don't buy anything until you've test ridden it. You can only tell so much by looking at a bike and being able to take it out and getting it through the gears will bring up things that you wouldn't have seen otherwise.

If you come up with any other questions, post 'em.

Top Bottom