• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2004 vs 1998 Fight!

Amir0x

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
"I used math to prove that FFT is a bad game! My opinion is better than yours because I'm a serious gamer and you're an undiscriminating casual! I'm going to write seven paragraphs about how liking FFT means you're an idiot who can't appreciate a 'true' SRPG like I can!"

Get the fuck over yourself.

Hey, I'm not the one insulting anyone. First of all, I didn't say anyone was an idiot bro. The most I said, if you read my post, was that if you used Orlandu and died you suck at SRPGs. That's a far cry. So if you're going to wave your morality stick at me, make sure to be a little more mature about it.

My opinion is = to his. I feel my opinion is right, obviously, or I would not bother debating with him. Similarly, I never said FFT wasn't a true SRPG.

ElyrionX

Azih said:
I'm going to have to say that balance would be by far the most important aspect of a strategy game.

It probably is.

But then, the most important aspect of ANY game (not just strategy games) is how "fun" it ultimately is.

I don't care how unbalanced FFT is. At the end of it all, I derived a massive amount of entertainment value out of it and that's all that matters to me.

Amir0x

Banned
ElyrionX said:
It probably is.

But then, the most important aspect of ANY game (not just strategy games) is how "fun" it ultimately is.

I don't care how unbalanced FFT is. At the end of it all, I derived a massive amount of entertainment value out of it and that's all that matters to me.

Thatta boy. I respect this opinion most because fun is where it's at, and if you had fun I can't debate with that. Still!!

Play Phantom Brave or Disgaea cause maybe you'll have more fun with them too :lol

duckroll

Amir0x said:
Hey, I'm not the one insulting anyone. First of all, I didn't say anyone was an idiot bro. The most I said, if you read my post, was that if you used Orlandu and died you suck at SRPGs. That's a far cry. So if you're going to wave your morality stick at me, make sure to be a little more mature about it.

My opinion is = to his. I feel my opinion is right, obviously, or I would not bother debating with him. Similarly, I never said FFT wasn't a true SRPG.

Yeah but you used crap like "objective", "speaks volumes", "flawed game" to undermine his opinion. Firstly, all games are flawed, and anyone who thinks Phantom Brave isn't flawed as well is delusional. Yet after undermining his opinion by using such eloquent catch phrases, you continue on to tell us just "how" hardcore you are to make your point seem more important.

I don't know, but that just sounds pretty snobbish and elitist to me. People don't respect that, they scoff it.

Amir0x

Banned
duckroll said:
Yeah but you used crap like "objective", "speaks volumes", "flawed game" to undermine his opinion. Firstly, all games are flawed, and anyone who thinks Phantom Brave isn't flawed as well is delusional. Yet after undermining his opinion by using such eloquent catch phrases, you continue on to tell us just "how" hardcore you are to make your point seem more important.

Certain things about what I debated aren't objective. Orlandu IS an inherently inbalanced character. If we were to streamline FFT down to mathematical terms (and I hate to be so infantile), and the sole determining factor being stats and power of abilities, this would still hold true. Orlandu, when you get him, is just so much more powerful than everything else. That's the only real time I used objective, although I could have gone a step further with some of the other classes.

I understand it's a bit difficult to swallow, but SRPGs are a bit easier to judge because the principals of battle are usually entirely determined by statistics. Therefore, balance is much easier to judge.

And I certainly didn't say Phantom Brave wasn't flawed! I also didn't say Phantom Brave was one of my top three games!

Finally, I did not mean hardcore in the way you think I probably meant it. It's simply that I have played more SRPGs than he has, or at the very least played BOTH SRPGs we were discussing here (Phantom Brave AND FFT). He had only played FFT, which sort of automatically made his opinion on PB less valid.

duckroll said:
I don't know, but that just sounds pretty snobbish and elitist to me. People don't respect that, they scoff it.

I admit to being a bit elitist, if it makes you feel better. Especially about SRPGs. But you'll eventually learn to take nothing I say personally when I argue, because nothing I say is meant personally. Sorry if it offends you in any way.

Amir0x said:
I admit to being a bit elitist, if it makes you feel better. Especially about SRPGs. But you'll eventually learn to take nothing I say personally when I argue, because nothing I say is meant personally. Sorry if it offends you in any way.

Apology more-or-less accepted! I just get tired of math snobs using Excel Spreadsheets to "prove" their game is better than my game. Games are games. Yeah, certain aspects of them can be quantified, but others can't - that's why swinging words around like "objective" is more dangerous than even the most offbeat opinion. ;)

duckroll

Amir0x said:
Certain things about what I debated aren't objective. Orlandu IS an inherently inbalanced character. If we were to streamline FFT down to mathematical terms (and I hate to be so infantile), and the sole determining factor being stats and power of abilities, this would still hold true. Orlandu, when you get him, is just so much more powerful than everything else. That's the only real time I used objective, although I could have gone a step further with some of the other classes.

Fair enough, Orlandu is definitely overpowered, but then he's supposed to be THE MAN. :) Would suck to get a weakling called the Thundergod eh?

I understand it's a bit difficult to swallow, but SRPGs are a bit easier to judge because the principals of battle are usually entirely determined by statistics. Therefore, balance is much easier to judge.

Easier to judge != more important though. Fun Experience > Balance. The experience would comprise of how fun the game was, how engaging the scenerio is and who much you liked the story and characters, and the events that played out.

And I certainly didn't say Phantom Brave wasn't flawed! I also didn't say Phantom Brave was one of my top three games!

Ok, then I just misunderstood. :(

Hugs :D

Amir0x

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
Apology more-or-less accepted! I just get tired of math snobs using Excel Spreadsheets to "prove" their game is better than my game. Games are games. Yeah, certain aspects of them can be quantified, but others can't - that's why swinging words around like "objective" is more dangerous than even the most offbeat opinion. ;)

Yeah, objective is a word I do usually use lightly, and I admit it might have not been the best thing to say since it's not a word easily accepted in game terms. I just felt that all things considered, it's the closest thing to objective truth we could get.

That said, thanks for accepting my apology and I'll make sure to continue to try to tone it down a notch (it's hard :D )

Amir0x

Banned
duckroll said:
Fair enough, Orlandu is definitely overpowered, but then he's supposed to be THE MAN. :) Would suck to get a weakling called the Thundergod eh?
That's true. I just wish, at the very least, he'd be a character you could only use for one or two battles.

duckroll said:
Easier to judge != more important though. Fun Experience > Balance. The experience would comprise of how fun the game was, how engaging the scenerio is and who much you liked the story and characters, and the events that played out.

Oh, I agree. If you have more fun, no amount of balance or equations is going to persuade you otherwise. :)

duckroll said:

Now we're friends for life. We have to get blood necklaces.

ElyrionX

Amir0x said:
That's true. I just wish, at the very least, he'd be a character you could only use for one or two battles.

Nah, where's the fun in that? Sure, he's powerful but often do you get someone like that in RPGs or SRPGs anyway? Sometimes, having an overwhelmingly powerful ally at your side ready to kick ass CAN be fun. I like the whole uber feeling. Maybe that is exactly what is missing these days from RPGs and SRPGs. Besides, it's not as if he could wipe the whole map in one turn. Sure, he kicks ass but the rest of your party is still vulnerable and Orlandu can only be at one part of the map at any one time.....

Amir0x

Banned
ElyrionX said:
Nah, where's the fun in that? Sure, he's powerful but often do you get someone like that in RPGs or SRPGs anyway? Sometimes, having an overwhelmingly powerful ally at your side ready to kick ass CAN be fun. I like the whole uber feeling. Maybe that is exactly what is missing these days from RPGs and SRPGs. Besides, it's not as if he could wipe the whole map in one turn. Sure, he kicks ass but the rest of your party is still vulnerable and Orlandu can only be at one part of the map at any one time.....

I, uh...er...heh.

No, I think I personally would rather a character like that not be in any other SRPG, thank you :lol

1998 wins because it's the year that made me turn into a "hardcore gamer" I'd say. Zelda: OOT was just the most unbelievable thing ever. I was 12. And to quote someone from an old thread I remember:

Zelda + Masturbation = Pinnacle of Human Achievement

RiZ III

Panzer Dragoon Saga + Xenogears + RE2 + Zelda OoT + MGS = Unbeatable

Damn I never realized those all came out in the same year.

Top Bottom