• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Olympics: What Rio doesn’t want the world to see

Status
Not open for further replies.
2016 Olympics: What Rio doesn’t want the world to see

The 2016 Olympics are set to begin in just over a month in Rio de Janeiro. As the city prepares to receive an influx of international visitors, it is building new infrastructure and transportation systems to accommodate the surge. But the city is also undergoing another major project: hiding and removing poor people from view of foreign onlookers. I went to Rio to see how the city is transforming to make way for the Olympics

Always sad to see.

platocplx

I heard Bryan collangeo talk on Mike and Mike today how Chicago had a better package than Rio and they didnt even tell them in their faces they were last. Jut called them. There is so much corruption in the Olympics its sad.

Then you hace places that really dont have the means to host and they go on to destroy the impoverished homes etc.

If I were to revamp the IOC the Olympic villages etc should be required to turn into low income housing etc and built with that in mind.

Not watching these Olympics.

Not judging, but can I ask why? And what would not watching them on TV accomplish? Or are you just disgusted by the whole operation? I for one can't pass on the Olympics. Politics has always player a central role although this one in particular is contentious for a great many reasons.

obin_gam

Not watching these Olympics.

I wont either, but that's just because everything will air aprox. 4AM in the morning...

As with the "boycott" of the Sochi Games, there's a lot of people saying this, but in actuality will watch anyways because that's just what one does.

PillarEN

IOC and FIFA are corrupt as fuck. So it doesn't shock me. 2020 is Japan right?

Yes. Would you say it is an outlier or a heavily corrupted campaign to have the games there? I get the sense that even if there is shady business in the background it isn't like Japan is going to go and shoot their homeless and push out citizens from neighborhoods that are seen as unimportant in terms of keeping face to the international society. Don't have any deep fears about 2020.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Barriers like that are present along more than one portion of the highway. When I travelled out of Rio towards Mina Gerais, I saw walls like that so I asked my brazillian friends, they explained that often there are traffic jams and on the other side are bad favelas. Before there were walls, criminals would come out of the favela and rob people stuck in traffic. They said it happened often, they would sometimes pull guns out and ask for money.

The wall was built, in part, to stop such robberies.

That's what my friends said, anyway.

mreddie

Yes. Would you say it is an outlier or a heavily corrupted campaign to have the games there? I get the sense that even if there is shady business in the background it isn't like Japan is going to go and shoot their homeless and push out citizens from neighborhoods that are seen as unimportant in terms of keeping face to the international society. Don't have any deep fears about 2020.

No I know Japan isn't shady, I meant they are just the next locale.

Kas

Not watching or supporting these games this year. I loved Sochi and London, but this is fucking insane.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I still think that the idea of there being 4 or 5 permanent, rotating host cities should be looked into. Keep the infrastructure in place and available to the public, and then once in a generation they host the Olympics. You'd eliminate so much of this corruption and sleaze if the games were rotated among Tokyo, LA, Chicago, London, Munich, and Moscow... or wherever.

Enough of these make-work Olympic selections, where thousands die in third world countries building shoddy stadiums and arenas and shove their poor into ditches before the cameras arrive.

I'm not supporting the games this summer. Rio has been a total mess, and this is just one more thing to add to the rather large pile.

ezrarh

It's a corrupt mess unfortunately. Then next Olympics you have Tokyo - if Rio could be half of that it'd be fantastic. They should learn from Japan and learn how to turn their slums into proper neighborhoods.

If the Chinese crash is coming soon like people are predicting, are we going to be 4 for 4 on the Olympics preempting economic catastrophe?

Nothing new for events like this. Detroit putting up fake storefronts for all their empty buildings. San Francisco hiding their homeless for the Super Bowl. Etc.

mantidor

Barriers like that are present along more than one portion of the highway. When I travelled out of Rio towards Mina Gerais, I saw walls like that so I asked my brazillian friends, they explained that often there are traffic jams and on the other side are bad favelas. Before there were walls, criminals would come out of the favela and rob people stuck in traffic. They said it happened often, they would sometimes pull guns out and ask for money.

The wall was built, in part, to stop such robberies.

That's what my friends said, anyway.

yup, those walls are hardly a new thing.

WTF they moved entire villages for a limited event?

Not true.

ldcommando

Banned
Nothing new for events like this. Detroit putting up fake storefronts for all their empty buildings. San Francisco hiding their homeless for the Super Bowl. Etc.

shhhhh, those things only happen in shitty third world countries. It´s where all the poor people are.

For those interested, Matthew Good, a Canadian musician, activist, and Vancouver native, has been very vocal about these sorts of homelessness issues. In 2010 he went into such detail in an interview on CBC. He tells a very interesting story about growing up and watching the sociopolitical scene change, and how it led into the essential removal of the mentally ill and homeless population in preparation for the 2010 Winter Olympics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBdzgPtlBho

Drakhyrr

I'll just leave this here. It's from a demonstration by policemen and firemen at Rio's airport.

zeO00Dg.jpg

Jeffrey

I'll just leave this here. It's from a demonstration by policemen and firemen at Rio's airport.

zeO00Dg.jpg

Yeah lets not forget that unlike most recent olympics, Brazil is actually in a fucking political turmoil right now and shit is going to be insane during the olympics.

Pray that not too many people die in the chaos or worse.

Animator

Even the governor is saying the olympics will be a mess:

http://qz.com/717915/even-rios-acting-governor-is-warning-the-rio-olympics-could-be-a-big-failure/

"The city of Rio de Janerio has delayed payments to workers—which Dornelles likened to a form of slave labor in the O Globo interview—and cut back operations at state health clinics. If it doesn’t receive a 2.9-billion-real (around $850 million) payment from the federal government, the state may have to suspend police patrols by the weekend because it doesn’t have enough cash to pay for gasoline, he added.

While the city of Rio is mostly responsible for putting on the games, the larger state of Rio de Janeiro was supposed to build a yet-to-be-completed metro line to transport sports fans to the far-flung Olympic venues, and help with security."

Not really. It is contextual. Can't even remember a single case which this rule is applied.

It has to be common as hell because when Brazilians speak English their accents often shows when they pronounce words beginning with "R". I'm done enough jiu jitsu in my life to know see this in action. Rio de Janeiro is a pretty good example of this as well - Brazilians pronounce it "He-o". Seems to happen when the R is followed by a vowel in my experience.

yogloo

I want to know the state of the public housing they are being told to move into before I pass judgment. The doc seems awfully one sided to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom