• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Olympics: What Rio doesn’t want the world to see

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet nike x adidas x reebok or whoever is sponsoring this will have top notch security in the olympic village and tell everyone to not leave lol, only go to the events and then head right back

what a mess

Leopold

I want to know the state of the public housing they are being told to move into before I pass judgment. The doc seems awfully one sided to me.

Tends to be far from the center, low quality and devoid of public transportation. Some of them were occupied by drug dealers who extorted the new owners.

billeh

I was mildly upset when we lost our bid to that shithole, but let them fuck it up in front of the whole world. We're too broke, anyway.

It has to be common as hell because when Brazilians speak English their accents often shows when they pronounce words beginning with "R". I'm done enough jiu jitsu in my life to know see this in action. Rio de Janeiro is a pretty good example of this as well - Brazilians pronounce it "He-o". Seems to happen when the R is followed by a vowel in my experience.

Brazilian portugese with the Rio accent is my pseudo third language. Basically the R is pronounced as an "h" (a "j" in Spanish) when its the first letter in the word. Also forgot the rule but for example in Rio words like "tarde" (late/afternoon) and "cerveja" (beer) are pronounced with an h sound yet in São Paulo it's with an r. Can't remember the grammatical reason though.

Anyways on topic this happens pretty much everywhere when major events are held, especially when international. This is what modern society is all about no? Faking appearances and whatnot. It's to be expected and the same thing to a worse degree happened with the 2014 cup as the matches were hosted in 12 different cities.

KAP151

Olympics are supposed to be about bringing the world together, same goes for the World Cup.

Yet, greed and corruption always seem to take the front seat.

God damn it must suck for those people living there. Imagine having no running toilets and piss poor quality water and your own government just puts up a massive wall engulfing your house, or even worse just demo's your neighborhood - just so the tourists are offended.

So sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom