• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 World Cup of Hockey |OT| World Cashgrab of Who Cares - Sponsored by SAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
I just saw Matthews' media availability, dude is even more boring than McDavid if that's even possible

Toronto is going to love him

PillarEN

Heheheheheheheh

They probably watch anime though which is not a cartoon. I'm sure Barkov is a big fan of Clannad.

Anyways... I have to get up at 2AM to watch the Czech Republic play tomorrow? Jesus guys. Saturday. You couldn't take a page from the NFL and play in the afternoon? Like Canada wouldn't watch if the game started at 3. Grab your Tim Horton's and throw everything else out from your schedule.

Curufinwe

I don't get the Flyers fans who are mad about Giroux being scratched for the first game when he clearly hasn't been firing on all cylinders so far. Perry and ROR are good players... this isn't like being passed over for Kunitz.

Giroux as a 13th forward is a nice problem to have.

Was watching some news coverage yesterday and it doesn't look like Thornton shaved after the Cup finals. I didn't see Burns but he might have done the same.

I PVRed the opening party because I went to the movies. I shouldn't have bothered. I'm an hour in and it's been cringeworthy so far with awful Sam Roberts music.

Jay Baruchel? Really?

zroid

Banned
LOLOLOL

1d2a1a6eb5e94cc4aaadf99635b33b25.png

USA is such a tire fire

calder

These sportsnet features on the Europeans at home are kinda great.

The footage of Kopitar at his home was crazy, Slovenia is an absurdly gorgeous country.

They needed to flesh out the teams, so they created those two. There weren't enough players from countries like Germany, Slovenia, etc. to make up their own teams, so they compiled them into Europe. Team North America is the young guns, kids who are younger than 23 like McDavid and Eichel and Matthews. It's kind of a gimmick team, but they needed to add it to make things even I guess.

Let's go, Europe!!!

These sportsnet features on the Europeans at home are kinda great.

The footage of Kopitar at his home was crazy, Slovenia is an absurdly gorgeous country.

Brunt always does a great job.

Sorry, Just tuning into this, what's this team Europe and team North America? Why aren't these dudes playing for their national teams?

North America: Young Superstars from North America

Europe:players from different countries other than Sweden,Finland, Czech Republic.

This is a NHL Tournament and it wouldn't be fair for smaller countries with only one Player from the NHL that's why Team Europe was made

calder

Sorry, Just tuning into this, what's this team Europe and team North America? Why aren't these dudes playing for their national teams?
Bottom line: there's six nations with potential rosters that could challenge for a medal in a typical best on best tournament, but you can't have much of a tournament wth six teams so they decided to cobble together two more artificially rather than have some sort of play in format. This also lets them get a lot of other star players in it, both guys a bit too young to make their national team and guys from smaller nations like Slovenia or Germany who wouldn't get in normally.

In the future they may just figure out a way to slot 7th and 8th teams and accept adding a couple of weaker squads. It's a weird and frankly self serving solution to a problem that isn't usually that big a deal.

calder

Slovenia. Slovakia is pretty cool too though if you want to check out the Tatra mountains.
He was talking about Slovakia; they were interviewing Chara and Hossa back home just now on Sportsnet. The Kopitar feature I was talking about aired a few days ago, it had Kopitar talking in front of some insanely picturesque locations. Everything was almost fake pretty lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom