• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20th Century Fox chooses Blu-Ray

Che

Banned
First of all I never compared mpeg-2 with VC-1. Second, yes VC1 is not WMV9 not that's that different in design and insane power demands. Third if you wanna talk exclusively for HD content then compare VC1 with MPEG4 AVC High Profile. AVC is clearly the winner (check the tests genius) and this brings us to my original thinking: Sony needs wmv just for the windows support and nothing more. You're boring me.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I really cant see Blu-ray being successful quick enough to really affect the console marked this gen, i mean in 2006 with the PS3, $300 will probably still be the cheapest you can get a player, and PS3 will still play DVDs so consumers will have no need to rush at all, seems to me it'll be at least 2008/2009 before Blu-Ray could rival DVD in install base, and even then it'll be the case (like it still is with VHS) that everything will be made for both for another decade or so.

And the majority of xbox games dont pass 3gig, so capacity shouldnt be too much of a problem there (i can see maybe a few games having to go 2 disc, hopefully that'll just be the very top of the market though), i imagine most PS3 games will come on DVDs too.

I think it's totally lame that these corporations want to push these new formats down our throats. DVDs have been around what? 4/5 years? VHS was around for something like a decade. I think that's decent but they want us to purchase their movies on DVD now and again in another 3 years on Blue-Ray/HD-DVD? Come on. DVDs just started picking up and they're ready to discard them already. Capitalism is a wonderful thing...

Shompola

Banned
yah what sucks more with these stop gap formats is that they try to demolish dvd altogether it seems. I am not in the mood to update my dvd video collection and not in the mood to buy a new tv, dvd player to take advantage of the new format. DVD Video has only been on the market for 7 years, I hope it will be the defacto standard for another 5 years atleast.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Che said:
First of all I never compared mpeg-2 with VC-1. Second, yes VC1 is not WMV9 not that's that different in design and insane power demands. Third if you wanna talk exclusively for HD content then compare VC1 with MPEG4 AVC High Profile. AVC is clearly the winner (check the tests genius) and this brings us to my original thinking: Sony needs wmv just for the windows support and nothing more. You're boring me.

1) WMV9 and VC-1 are basically the same thing. They both take the same power, they both do video the same way. In fact, VC-1 IS WMV9, just renamed :p Oh wait but apparently they are 2 totally different codecs o_O

2) show me the tests, because wmv has been owning it up

3) SONY doesn't CARE about windows support. Their entire future is based around the living room. Microsoft has licensed their codec out to both the formats, not because of "their tactics" but because it's the first codec they made that actually not only competed with others, but surpassed them.

thorns

Banned
This thread is misleading..

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20041004.gtbluoct4/BNStory/Technology/

But Fox technology expert Michael O'Neill said the company was not ready to put its films, television shows and other content on the Blu-ray format.

He said Fox is taking part in the Blu-ray Disc Association, being launched in Tokyo Monday, mainly to learn more about the technology and give input as a content provider.

Fox is also part of a group that is endorsing a rival technology called HD DVD, which is being pushed by Japanese electronics maker Toshiba Corp.

Mr. O'Neill said discussions with the Blu-ray association were just beginning, and Fox hadn't picked one format over the other.

"We're very excited about exploring both formats at this time. We see them both as very excellent candidates," he told reporters on Monday after Blu-ray Disc Association's news conference.

This release notes the latest additions to the group.

Blu-ray Disc Association Launches With More Than 70 Companies; Industry Leaders Choose Blu-ray Disc as the Format for High Definition Optical Disc

HOLLYWOOD--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 5, 2004--Today, more than 70 companies from the consumer electronics (CE), information technology (IT), media and software industries held the first official meeting of the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA). The BDA supports the continued development and promotion of the Blu-ray Disc (BD) format.

Earlier this year, membership was opened to organizations interested in promoting the Blu-ray Disc (BD) format. The growth in membership follows the recent announcement by Sony that PlayStation 3 will support the Blu-ray Disc format and by Twentieth Century Fox that it would join the Association as a member of its Board of Directors.

"We believe the BDA's growth from 13 to 73 companies over the last three months reflects the depth of industry acceptance and support for the Blu-ray Disc as the next generation optical disc format," said Maureen Weber, General Manager of HP's Optical Storage Solutions Business. "We are thrilled to welcome new partners who will help us exceed our goals and demonstrate leadership through the superior technology and capabilities that the Blu-ray Disc offers consumers and the content community."

The BD standard offers a superior capacity advantage that does not restrict content creativity, provides the best image and audio quality possible and presents an expanded consumer experience through interactivity. The addition of these 50 new members will foster greater competition and creativity in the development of new products, applications and business opportunities for BD.

Currently, the Blu-ray Disc Association's Board of Directors consists of: Dell Inc.; Hewlett Packard Company; Hitachi, Ltd.; LG Electronics Inc.; Mitsubishi Electric Corporation; Panasonic (Matsushita Electric); Pioneer Corporation; Royal Philips Electronics; Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.; Sharp Corporation; Sony Corporation; TDK Corporation; and Thomson.

New Members Include:

-- Board of Directors: Twentieth Century Fox.

-- Contributors: Canon Inc., CMC Magnetics Corporation, CyberLink Corp., Deluxe Media Services Inc., Digital Theater Systems Inc., Dolby Laboratories Inc., Kenwood Corporation, LITE-ON IT Corporation, MediaTek Inc., Mitsubishi Kagaku Media Co., Ltd., Moser Baer India Limited, MX Entertainment, Optodisc Technology Corporation, Pulstec Industrial Co., Ltd., Ricoh Co., Ltd., Sigma Designs Inc., Sonic Solutions, Texas Instruments Inc., Ulead Systems Inc., Victor Company of Japan, Ltd., Visionare Corporation, ZOOtech Ltd.

-- Members: Almedio Inc., Alpine Electronics Inc., AMC Co. Ltd., ArcSoft Inc., Asahi Kasei Microsystems Co., Ltd., ATI Technologies Inc., Ciba Specialty Chemicals Inc., D&M holdings, Inc., Daewoo Electronics Corporation, ESS Technology Inc., Expert Magnetics Corp., Funai Electric Co., Ltd., Imation Corp, Infomedia Inc., InterVideo Inc., Konica Minolta Opto Inc., Leader Electronics Corp, LINTEC Corporation, Memorex Products Inc., Mitsui Chemicals Inc., Mitsumi Electric Co., Ltd., NEXAPM Systems Technology Inc., Opt Corporation, Pixela Corporation, Pony Canyon Enterprise, Ritek Corporation, ShibaSoku Co. Ltd., Shinano Kenshi Co. Ltd., Sony BMG Music Entertainment, Taiyo Yuden Co., Ltd., TEAC Corporation, Teijin Chemicals Ltd., Toppan Printing Co., Ltd., Unaxis Balzer AG, Yokogawa Electric Corporation.

About the Blu-ray Disc Association:

The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) was formed in May 2002 to pursue broad acceptance of the Blu-ray Disc formats. Board of Director members are Dell Inc.; Hewlett Packard Company; Hitachi, Ltd.; LG Electronics Inc.; Mitsubishi Electric Corporation; Panasonic (Matsushita Electric); Pioneer Corporation; Royal Philips Electronics; Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.; Sharp Corporation; Sony Corporation; TDK Corporation; Thomson; and Twentieth Century Fox. More than 50 companies make up the BDA and play a role in the format creation, technology contribution and working level of BDA's operation. Additional information about the Blu-ray Disc Association is available at http://www.blu-raydisc.com/.

Top Bottom