• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 day old baby girl starves to death in car as parents visit Golden Corral

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Story link In image, entire story below
Lakeland Police have arrested the parents of a 22-day-old baby girl on murder charges, after a medical examiner said the infant died from malnutrition as a result of starvation. Investigators say Betsey Kee Stephens died while in the custody of her parents, Roy Allen Stephens, 48, and Ruby Angeline Stephens, 23, who had called 911 about their infant after they arrived at a Lakeland Golden Corral restaurant to eat.

Police say a preliminary investigation indicates the baby was deceased for at least 3 ½ hours prior to the mother calling 911. An arrest affidavit said the infant had lost 2 lbs. 9 ounces from the time of her birth 22 days earlier to her death.

It's a case rocking the department emotionally. Assistant Chief Mike Link said when he saw the photos of the baby, it “rocked me to my core. In my 30 years I've never seen anything like that,” Link said. Lakeland Police Officers responded to assist emergency medical crews with a call regarding an unresponsive infant at the Golden Corral restaurant at 4705 U.S. Hwy 98 North at 6:10 p.m. on December 23.

The baby's parents told authorities they discovered their baby in the car seat unresponsive and they called 911. Roy and Ruby Stephens, 23, told investigators they traveled from Indiana to visit family in the area and had checked into the Comfort Inn at 3520 U.S. Hwy 98 North in Lakeland.

The mother told police that she had checked the infant's feet and they appeared to be cold so she covered the baby's feet with a blanket. After checking into the hotel, they drove to the Golden Corral restaurant to meet and eat with family members. After arriving at the Golden Corral, the mother checked the infant's feet again and noticed her feet were unusually cold and she got no response from the infant.

At this time, the parents called 911. The Lakeland Fire Department and Polk County Fire Rescue responded and the baby was transported to the Lakeland Regional Medical Center. She was later declared deceased at LRMC.

“Little Betsey had no chance of survival,” Sgt. Gary Gross said. “We're not talking a matter of hours we're talking a matter of days this child was starved.”

Police say the baby's siblings, a 1-year-old boy and a 2-year-old girl were sitting in their car seats and both appeared to be in good health. They are now in the custody of the Florida Department of Children and Families.

Lakeland Police released the Stephens' arrest affidavit during a news conference on Tuesday morning. The affidavit included information from the medical examiner, who performed an autopsy on the baby and said the infant's weight at death was 4 lbs and 1 ounce. She weighed 6 lbs. and 10 ounces when she was born. The M.E. said the normal weight for a baby her age would be 8 lbs.

The M.E. also said in the affidavit that the infant had not been fed prior to her death.

"Through examining the victim's digestive system, it was discovered that the victim had not been fed for approximately 6 to 7 hours prior to her death, being that there was no food in her stomach and large intestines, only a small amount of feces was present in the small intestines. It was also noted that the victim was dehydrated," said the M.E. in the arrest affidavit.

The M.E. also listed the baby's cause of death was "starvation due to neglect" and that the manner of death was "homicide.”

The affidavit also included information that the couple told police. Roy Allen Stephens told police that when the family was driving to Florida, they stopped every 30 minutes to an hour to let the kids use the restroom and feed the baby if necessary. He said the baby would cry to let them know she was hungry and they would pull over and feed her promptly. He said they stopped one hour before reaching Lakeland and the baby was in good health.

Ruby Angeline Stephens told police that she breast fed the baby every 2-3 hours.

Lakeland Police Department's Violent Crimes Unit investigated the case. LPD announced on Monday that they were investigating the death of the child as a homicide.

Can't imagine how much negligence goes into losing a child not a month after birth, god damn. Not surprising when the child apparently hadn't been fed in almost 7hrs I suppose. I question the story that they arrived and found the child dead ... there's a god damn 3 hour delay before calling police. Suspect they probably went in, ignored the baby then came out and found it dead. Fucked up all around. Not only that but these two numbskulls also have two other kids smh.

//In addition//

The suspects are Ruby Angeline Stephens, 23, and Roy Allen Stephens, 48, both of Tennyson, Ind. Roy Allen Stephens is not the biological father.

The "infidelity" that resulted in her pregnancy and Betsey's birth placed a strain on their marriage, Ruby Angeline Stephens told police, according to her arrest report. She said her husband didn't pay much attention to the baby.

More fuel for the fire I guess. Terrible.

This is a very strange story.

First of all, the age difference in those 2 people / their pics astonish me they are in a relationship for some reason. 2nd of all, why murder only 1 of your children?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
cut_off_florida.gif

Lakeland Police Officers responded to assist emergency medical crews with a call regarding an unresponsive infant at the Golden Corral restaurant at 4705 U.S. Hwy 98 North at 6:10 p.m. on December 23.

The baby's parents told authorities they discovered their baby in the car seat unresponsive and they called 911. Roy and Ruby Stephens, 23, told investigators they traveled from Indiana to visit family in the area and had checked into the Comfort Inn at 3520 U.S. Hwy 98 North in Lakeland.

The mother told police that she had checked the infant's feet and they appeared to be cold so she covered the baby's feet with a blanket. After checking into the hotel, they drove to the Golden Corral restaurant to meet and eat with family members. After arriving at the Golden Corral, the mother checked the infant's feet again and noticed her feet were unusually cold and she got no response from the infant.

Police say the baby's siblings, a 1-year-old boy and a 2-year-old girl were sitting in their car seats and both appeared to be in good health. They are now in the custody of the Florida Department of Children and Families.

The affidavit also included information that the couple told police. Roy Allen Stephens told police that when the family was driving to Florida, they stopped every 30 minutes to an hour to let the kids use the restroom and feed the baby if necessary. He said the baby would cry to let them know she was hungry and they would pull over and feed her promptly. He said they stopped one hour before reaching Lakeland and the baby was in good health.

Ruby Angeline Stephens told police that she breast fed the baby every 2-3 hours.

Their story doesn't add up.

If their other children were 1 and 2, they'd still be in diapers or haven't been potty trained.
They wouldn't be able to "use the restroom".

Poor child. I can believe these fools neglected that baby.

Why do these horrible parents just keep popping kids out like its candy? What a horrible story.

It doesn't take a genius to have sex.

studyguy

Their story doesn't add up.

If their other children were 1 and 2, they'd still be in diapers or haven't been potty trained.
They wouldn't be able to "use the restroom".

Poor child. I can believe these fools neglected that baby.

Yeah none of it really stacks up, even if the baby was quiet all the way to the end, I'd imagine it's due to how weak it already was by that point.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I don't understand any of this when you factor in the two other healthy children. They were capable of knowing how to care for a baby within reason.

It's also really really weird to me to not bring your kids into the restaurant.

I feel like there's more to all of this.

kswiston

As a parent of a 10 month old girl, I hope they serve a lengthy sentence and that their surviving children are put in a better home. Despicable.

I don't understand any of this when you factor in the two other healthy children. They were capable of knowing how to care for a baby within reason.

I have not idea what state laws say in this case, but I am pretty sure it is illegal to leave young children unattended in a vehicle where I live.

Phoenix

This is a very strange story.

First of all, the age difference in those 2 people / their pics astonish me they are in a relationship for some reason. 2nd of all, why murder only 1 of your children?

I can guarantee you that will be used by their defense attorney to get away from the murder charge.

They arrived at the restaurant and found the baby unresponsive. It doesn't say whether or not they ate before calling 911, but the 3 hour gap between calling 911 and the baby's presumed death is fairly large.

Oh shit.

There was a case on 20/20 last week where a mother was arrested, convicted, and found guilty for allegedly killing her adopted son by giving him copious amount of salt/malnourishment. The child was tested and may have been suffering from pica, but that testimony never made it's way to court.

For this 22 day old baby, I'm hoping that this isn't a story of negligence and moreso a story of a sick baby. I don't wish to believe that there are people so callus to children for indiscretions they were not responsible for.

Golden Corral is pretty much the best place to take someone new to the US. You get a great cross section of the US population. The diversity. The gluttony. The tipping.

A literal melting pot both in the buffet and in the rest rooms.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The new information makes me suspicious that the mother was pressured into finding a way to get rid of the baby; and in their crackpot minds they thought starving the baby then acting innocently surprised when the baby died would be a great cover story.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
They arrived at the restaurant and found the baby unresponsive. It doesn't say whether or not they ate before calling 911, but the 3 hour gap between calling 911 and the baby's presumed death is fairly large.

Ah yeah I see what happened there. I had the timeline mixed up in my head for some reason.

Still odd how they have two otherwise healthy children.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

Well it's either willful negligence or the other two kids were incredibly lucky to see past 12 months.

Samara

Not even a month into your life and you're being starved to death.

Just terrible especially for the little ones

Chariot

Holy shit.
So they starved the child due being from anothrr father, right? If you don't want it, just give it away. There are possibilities for thag in the USA, right?

studyguy

Holy shit.
So they starved the child due being from anothrr father, right? If you don't want it, just give it away. There are possibilities for thag in the USA, right?

I want to say yes, but it'd probably risk a whole slew of other problems with the two remaining children. I think it's more of an all or nothing deal when you give up your kids.

Holy shit.

There are foster homes and the such.

I don't know how many people are willing to put children through the foster system however.

Chariot

I want to say yes, but it'd probably risk a whole slew of other problems with the two remaining children. I think it's more of an all or nothing deal when you give up your kids.
Can't you do it anonymous? In germany there is a common service called Babyklappe where people can leave children without giving names or anything.

There are foster homes and the such.

I don't know how many people are willing to put children through the foster system however.
Sure. But these parents obviously didn't like that particular child.

studyguy

Can't you do it anonymous? In germany there is a common service called Babyklappe where people can leave children without giving names or anything.

Maybe, I think it depends on the state, I honestly wouldn't know about Indiana. The fact that the baby didn't make it out 30 days is telling though. It probably wouldn't live to the day when it was given up anyway. Just poor luck for that unfortunate child.

shira

Sure. But these parents obviously didn't like that particular child.
Yes, no baby reverse vending machine, but you can bring a baby to most any hospital/church. The problem is that births are really expensive and the shame of saying "take my babe" is massive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom