• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

30 years ago today: Ian Curtis, lead singer for Joy Division, died on 18 May 1980

Status
Not open for further replies.
LordPhoque said:
Overrated band.
You may not like them but they are probably one of the most influential bands ever. Were it not for them and what they became after Curtis died (new order), music today would be drastically different.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Celine said:
Isolation come to mind.

Also Decades must be in the OP ( well not only that song :D )

Personally I don't like Atmosphere that much.
Decades is my favorite song.

LordPhoque said:
Overrated band.
It is more their legacy that is talked about now. They only released two albums and have influenced a huge group of big artists.

And as someone said above, Radiohead's cover of "Ceremony" is incredible.

An_ideal_for_living.jpg

I have that one as a poster. My grandpa was like "What the hell is THAT?" when he saw it, he thought I finally became a Nazi. :lol

HiResDes

idahoblue said:
Nice OP, really covered it well. Also recommending Control for anyone who has not seen it, amazing film. And 24 Hour Party People is a laugh as well as being touching and embellished!

Great covers of great songs.
you somehow failed to post the best one IMO.

Galaxie 500 - Ceremony

edit: Beaten doubly, lol.

faridmon

aw, man, and i was having a good talk with Kent (vocalist of Lillies and remain) about his favourite bands and we share JD.

Ian curtis just bloody good old folly :(

Muffdraul

I've always loved their earlier more guitar oriented stuff. Favorite song is probably No Love Lost, despite the fact that its intro goes on way too long. Never cared much for their low key post-punk material. What can I say, I discovered the Ramones and Black Flag in 1981 and never looked back...

Shaneus

Had no idea it was around this time of year... was only a few months away from when I was born :(

For what it's worth, Disorder is probably my favourite JD track (just to be different) though I obviously love Transmission and Atmosphere. As far as Ceremony goes, I always preferred the version performed by New Order not long after he died that appeared on Substance 1987.

New Order have always been my "thing" over JD (having been more into electronic/dance music than "alternative") but the influence both Ian and the rest of Joy Division had on music even today is mind-blowing.

R.I.P., Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom