• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D gaming /Movies/ Broadcast TV are coming. What do I need to know?

beast786

After seeing SuperStardust HD/Avatar. I am all in for 3D. This is for sure not the old 3D.

But when I looked around I had no idea what the requirements or what I need to know?.

So being a 3D Noob. My first question was......

What do I need to be part of 3D realm ?

Well this is what I have put together so far. If anyones knows more please add on :D

PC options

nVIDIA 3D vision

Requires :

what_you_need_new.jpg

System Requirements

3D games available via nVIDIA

GAF thread about nVIDIA 3D vision review

Consoles

Playstation 3

3DTV

Requires:

Sony3DGalsses-650x267.jpg

Shutter Glasses
3D Transducer
HDMI 1.4 (see Q & A below)

3DTV of course :

samsung
[URL="Panasonic"]Panasonic[/URL]
Sony

3D commitment From Broadcast Channels:

CBS and NCAA Final Four
Sky TV
ESPN including FIFA World Cup
Discovery

Many more..

Transform your 2D into 3D

I am not sure if this works. I just found it during my research :lol

Some Q & A about 3D

How can you get 3D from a 2D screen?

A 3D TV or theater screen showing 3D content displays two separate images of the same scene simultaneously, one intended for the viewer's right eye and one for the left eye. The two full-size images occupy the entire screen and appear intermixed with one another--objects in one image are often repeated or skewed slightly to the left (or right) of corresponding objects in the other--when viewed without the aid of special 3D glasses. When viewers don the glasses, they can perceive these two images as a single 3D image.

The system relies on a visual process called stereopsis. The eyes of an adult human lie about 2.5 inches apart, which lets each eye see objects from slightly different angles. The two images on a 3D TV screen present objects from two slightly different angles as well, and when those images combine in the viewer's mind with the aid of the glasses, the illusion of depth is created.

How is the new 3D TV technology different from older 3D?

Most people are familiar with the old anaglyph method, where a pair of glasses with lenses tinted red and cyan (or other colors) is used to combine two false-color images. The result seen by the viewer is discolored and usually lower-resolution than the new method.

The principal improvements afforded by new 3D TV technologies are full color and high resolution--reportedly full 1080p HD resolution for both eyes in the Blu-ray 3D, for example, and half that resolution in the DirecTV system. We expect DirecTV's 3D channels to look quite sharp despite lack of full 1080p resolution; see HDTV resolution explained for some reasons why.

New 3D TVs require active liquid crystal shutter glasses, which work by very quickly blocking each eye in sequence (120 times per second systems like Panasonic's Full HD 3D). The glasses, in addition to the liquid-crystal lenses, contain electronics and batteries (typically good for 80 or more hours), that sync to the TV via an infrared or Bluetooth signal.

Can everyone see 3D?

No. Between 5 percent and 10 percent of Americans suffer from stereo blindness, according to the College of Optometrists in Vision Development. They often have good depth perception--which relies on more than just stereopsis--but cannot perceive the depth dimension of 3D video presentations. Some stereo-blind viewers can watch 3D material with no problem as long as they wear glasses; it simply appears as 2D to them. Others may experience headaches, eye fatigue or other problems.

I've heard 3D causes headaches. Is that true?

Most people watching 3D suffer no ill effects after a brief orientation period lasting a few seconds as the image "snaps" into place, but in others, 3D can cause disorientation or headaches after extended periods. Viewer comfort is a major concern of 3D content producers; too much of a 3D effect can become tiresome after a while, abrupt camera movement can be disorienting, and certain onscreen objects can appear blurry, for example. Creators of 3D movies for children also have to account for the fact that a child's eyes are closer together (about 2 inches) than an adult's.

Do I need a new TV?

Yes. With one exception, none of the TV manufacturers we spoke with said that any of their current HDTVs can be upgraded to support the new 3D formats used by Blu-ray, DirecTV and others. One reason is because the TV must be able to accept a higher-bandwidth signal (technically a 120Hz signal) to display those formats, and older TVs--even non-3D LCDs that mention high refresh rates like 120Hz and 240Hz, as well as "600Hz" plasmas--cannot handle such a signal. Another is that 3D requires different video processing and additional hardware, including some way to send the necessary Infrared or Bluetooth signal to the 3D glasses.

Do I need a new Blu-ray player, cable box, game console, or AV receiver?

With one huge exception the answer for Blu-ray players is "yes." No Blu-ray player maker has said it will upgrade existing 2009 or earlier standalone players to work with Blu-ray 3D movies, so a new 3D Blu-ray player will be required for many viewers to view the new 3D Blu-rays.

The Sony PS3 is the huge exception. Sony says that the game console will receive two separate firmware upgrades--one for gaming and another to allow display of 3D Blu-rays--in June 2010. Previously there was some confusion about whether the Blu-ray capability of the console would in fact be full HD resolution as seen on newer standalone Blu-ray players, but Sony assures us that it will, despite the fact that the PS3 is not HDMI 1.4-certified (question 10). When we asked about another rumor, which hinted that the console's 3D capability would only work with Sony TVs, the company replied that the PS3 would work in 3D with any 3D-compatible TV, regardless of brand.

DirecTV has said that its lower-resolution 3D system will require only a free software update to the company's current HD boxes. No other TV provider has announced 3D yet, but we assume some will follow suit and enable 3D without a new box.

Unless you use your AV receiver for switching between HDMI video sources, you won't have to upgrade to enjoy 3D Blu-ray movies. You can instead opt for a Blu-ray player with dual-HDMI outputs, such as the Panasonic DMP-BDT350, or forgo high-resolution audio (Dolby True HD or DTS Master Audio) that requires an HDMI connection to the receiver. If you do want to retain HDMI switching on a receiver with even a single 3D source (with the possible exception of the PS3), you will need to get an AV receiver that's 3D compatible. Numerous AV receiver makers have announced so-equipped 2010 models, including Onkyo, Pioneer and Sony, while 3D compatible home theater systems are also coming this year.

HDMI 1.4 cables are coming, but don't buy them just for 3D.

Can I use my existing HDMI cables?

At this point, it appears you can. We've heard conflicting reports from manufacturers, but the best information we have indicates that most current HDMI cables, including the inexpensive ones CNET recommends, will work fine with the new 3D formats. One caveat is that that longer cables, say over three feet, might have problems. We'll be able to confirm once we can test one of the new 3D TVs with a 3D Blu-ray player, but until then we recommend trying to use your old cables before spending extra on "high-speed," "HDMI 1.4-certified" or "3D-ready" HDMI cables.

There has also been some confusion over whether certification in the newest HDMI standards, namely HDMI 1.4 and HDMI 1.4a, is required for cables, TVs or other AV gear to properly handle 3D. The answer according to sources we spoke with, including Sony, is "no." In short, HDMI specification is a messy business. Being HDMI 1.4 certified doesn't mean that certain features of the new specification, such as 3D, higher-than-1080p resolution and a new Ethernet channel, are necessarily included on a given piece of hardware. Our best advice is to ignore the HDMI version of a particular product and focus on actual features provided in manufacturer product information, such as the ability to handle 3D.

(Credit: Jeff Bakalar/CNET)

My question?

Would I be able to use my nVIDIA shutter glasses with my new Samsung 3DTV?

Again, just a thread for general 3D information.

:D

mclem

Out of interest: Isn't this all theoretically possible *now* at 60Hz instead, with two 30fps signals being mixed? Okay, it means things running apparently at 30fps (yuck), but given the fact that you shouldn't have to upgrade your telly to do so, that's a pretty big plus point.

Man

Previously there was some confusion about whether the Blu-ray capability of the console would in fact be full HD resolution as seen on newer standalone Blu-ray players, but Sony assures us that it will, despite the fact that the PS3 is not HDMI 1.4-certified (question 10).
The HDMI chip in the PS3 is programmable so the firmware update will add certain 1.4 features to it (which includes 1080p 3D).

Also, Super Stardust HD is a confirmed 3D title (and obviously Avatar the game).

Unconfirmed but demoed are GT5, MLB, LBP, MS2 & WipEout HD.

Pachimari

On tuesday I'm going to take the Sony LX900 for a spin. It's basically the top of the line model from the firm this year. Should I post impressions in this thread?

Man

Anastacio said:
On tuesday I'm going to take the Sony LX900 for a spin. It's basically the top of the line model from the firm this year. Should I post impressions in this thread?
Yes please. I believe the LX900 is edge-light, if possible see if you can compare it to the back-light models (if there is a big difference).

Pachimari

Actually I tried out the Sony LX900 (now that I think about it, I think it was one of those 3D-Ready tv's as it was connected to a box or 3D receiver) 60" model today.
I'm not one to complain about glasses, the ones in the cinema has never been bad. This time though, I noticed that the Sony shutter-glasses were "extremely" uncomfortable. They didn't even go behind my ears, didn't fit at all.

On to the experience itself, I was watching Brazil play soccer, some animal show. The quality is much sharper than in the cinema, there wasn't any blurried stuff like in James Cameron's Avatar. Especially the football match was unbelievable in HD3D. It was like Kaká was running toward me, as he couldn't stop his run toward the banner. Another moment the squad was celebrating and I was truly standing behind that ad banner and watching them celebrate. That was the one mind-blowing stuff I watched.

They had Killzone 2 and Motorstorm at show as well but I didn't watch it. Maybe I'll take it for a run in the upcoming days again. The 60" actually seemed too small, the borders were annoying and I never would have imagined, that I would "complain" about the size. Now that I got my 3D fix, I'm not going to buy one this year anymore; postponing it to 2011. The glasses surprisingly turned me off a bit and I have never critisized any 3D glasses ever. The tv itself was a beauty, quality much better than in the cinemas.

AndyD

aka andydumi
mclem said:
Out of interest: Isn't this all theoretically possible *now* at 60Hz instead, with two 30fps signals being mixed? Okay, it means things running apparently at 30fps (yuck), but given the fact that you shouldn't have to upgrade your telly to do so, that's a pretty big plus point.

From what others mentioned on Beyond3D, no.

The latency of vision requires that an image be displayed for so long before another is displayed, so they need to do image doubling. As in display left eye twice as long, then right eye twice as long. So you need at least a TV with 120hz for "30 fps" so that it can be divided in 4.

Which is why 240hz TVs are supposedly the way to go for 3D so you can get "60 fps" in 3D, twice left, then twice right, 60 times each second.

I dont know much about it, but I do remember something along these lines.

The glasses surprisingly turned me off a bit and I have never critisized any 3D glasses ever. The tv itself was a beauty, quality much better than in the cinemas.

The beauty of it is that it will be much easier to find comfortable high quality glasses separately than TVs. I just hope they don't bundle TVs with crappy glasses.

Pachimari

Just noticed I can try out Wipeout HD in 3D, so I'm gonna do that tomorrow.
The biggest difference compared to the cinema is, that the TV picture goes inward, while the cinema picture pops out of the screen.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If I can't see the 3D effects well at the rides in things like the 3D Terminator Ride or Mickey's PhilharMagic, does that mean I suffer from stereo blindness, or do they use different technology/just don't work well?

Should I go an watch the 3D version of Avatar to see if I can see 3D properly, or still, different technology so it wouldn't be comparable?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Anastacio said:
Just noticed I can try out Wipeout HD in 3D, so I'm gonna do that tomorrow.
The biggest difference compared to the cinema is, that the TV picture goes inward, while the cinema picture pops out of the screen.
That's not how it was when I previewed a Sony 3D TV....

Corto

I'm mostly concerned of the confort of the glasses as I already wear prescribed glasses and have a HUGE head... :D :D :D :D I would really appreciate anyone's feedback that is in a similar situation.

Really great thread. Im sure I'll be back in here at some point pretty soon once I pick up a new set. At the moment, Im looking at the Pannys with the Kuro tech, but have no idea if they display 3D as of this moment.

jett

D-Member
mclem said:

A high refresh rate is needed to accurately fool your eyes/brain into believing you are seeing depth where none is. In digital 3D cinemas, despite the fact that the movies themselves are filmed at 24 frames per second, right-eye frames and left-eye frames are projected at 144 times per second.

It doesn't really matter what framerate a game runs at.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
A nice, if perhaps expected, bit of news - nVidia's 3DTV Play lets you hook up your PC to the new 3DTVs to play 3D games on them off your PC.

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2010/03/15/nvidia-3dtv-play-play-3d-games-on-your-tv-now/

Of course, the PS3 will eventually support 3D Blu-ray and perhaps even gaming, but in the meantime if you have the right kit, for $39.99 (£26) Nvidia 3DTV Play will let you watch 3D Blu-rays or play one of more than 400 supported games right now on a 3D HDTV (We checked out Just Cause 2 with Nvidia 3D Vision earlier this month, and it was sensational), and for minimal outlay – if you’ve already bought Nvidia 3D Vision, Nvidia 3DTV Play will be free.

Nvidia 3DTV Play will work with all HDMI 1.4 3D TVs, and will work in full HD at 24 frames per second, or 720p at 50 or 60fps, and will work with active or passive 3D TV systems.

Coming this Spring.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Never seen a 3d film, nor donned the specs at all, literally no interaction with 3d technology, will i be blown away?

cakefoo

gofreak said:
A nice, if perhaps expected, bit of news - nVidia's 3DTV Play lets you hook up your PC to the new 3DTVs to play 3D games on them off your PC.

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2010/03/15/nvidia-3dtv-play-play-3d-games-on-your-tv-now/

Coming this Spring.
hmm... what i really need is something that would allow my current pc monitor to be used as a 3d display for ps3, 3d cable boxes, etc. the whole thing for me is that i don't want to later feel like i was ripped off spending $1600-2000 on a tv.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
gofreak said:

Coming this Spring.
What exactly is this? Cyberlink are already adding 3D support for Blu-Ray, nvidia should be able to update their firmware to allow passing the 3D data over HDMI 1.3 so I am non-plussed as to what this will do. Or is Nvidia charging $40 for a firmware upgrade?

cakefoo

Mr Cola said:
Never seen a 3d film, nor donned the specs at all, literally no interaction with 3d technology, will i be blown away?
all i can say is just go see a movie for yourself, because nobody can tell you how you'll take to it.

if you like it, you like it; if you don't, you don't :p

i'd say for your first movie, though, don't let it be alice in wonderland or clash of the titans. they were filmed in 2D and later converted. try to see a native 3D movie your first time, like how to train your dragon.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
cakefoo said:
all i can say is just go see a movie for yourself, because nobody can tell you how you'll take to it.

if you like it, you like it; if you don't, you don't :p

i'd say for your first movie, though, don't let it be alice in wonderland or clash of the titans. they were filmed in 2D and later converted. try to see a native 3D movie your first time, like how to train your dragon.
I would say to see a live action movie that was filmed in 3D, the added depth to people is what makes 3D exciting for me.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Gizmodo says:

Screw Avatar, 3D Gaming Is What Will Get You To Buy A New TV

With some glowing impressions of Metro 2033 in 3D:

The graphics of Metro 2033 are very good, to be sure, but they’re nothing better than any other major release from the past year. What made the experience great was the 3D. It was amazing how much was added to the feel of the game.

Leaving an underground tunnel into a post-apocalyptic Moscow at night, my vision was filled with floating specs of snow and dust in some lights. But closer to me were some cracks in my gas mask, which represented damage to my character. In the middle distance were some other characters and piles of rubble. Off in the distance was a huge tower.

Each level of depth stood out completely and made the screen feel like a window. Aiming was easier, as I could immediately tell just how far off an enemy was, even when I hadn’t seen it before and was unsure of its scale.

Back underground in the subway tunnels that make up 70 per cent of the game, everything was much closer. But I could pass a cracked-open doorway and peer inside at the people sitting there, and it felt like I was really looking into someone’s private room.

And a word on the possibilities of 3D mixed with headtracking:

And this is just the beginning. With Natal, Microsoft will be able to do head tracking, which when combined with 3D really looks like the future of gaming to me. A next-gen Microsoft console with Natal and 3D built-in, complete with the guts to make 3D run smoothly, will completely change the way we play games.

Of couse, unbeknownst to the writer, I guess, 3D and headtracking will be available on a certain other console this year. We won't necessarily have to wait til next gen. I wonder if GT5 will be the first console game with this dual support. The MotoGP devs seem really keen to mix the two in their game next year too.

Durante

Seems like I have to get Metro 2033.

Corto said:
I'm mostly concerned of the confort of the glasses as I already wear prescribed glasses and have a HUGE head... :D :D :D :D I would really appreciate anyone's feedback that is in a similar situation.
I have a rather large head and I wear prescription glasses. I have no problems (beyond, maybe, aesthetic ;)) playing with NVs 3D vision glasses on top of them even for extended periods of time.

McHuj

Yesterday I got to see the Samsung 3D LED TV (C7000 I think) at a Best Buy.

In my opinion, I think 3D at this point is a mixed bag.

1. I wear glasses, the Samsung 3D glasses fit over mine, but not as snuggly as they would have without my glasses. It also feels like watching TV with your sunglasses on.

2. There seemed to be ghosting that I saw (some pro reviewers saw this as well I believe).

3. The 3D effect was actually pretty cool. They were showing Monsters vs Aliens. When you walked from side to side the objects behaved as if they were actually there. However, the 3D effect went "into the TV" like looking through a window instead of the action jumping out at you.

Maybe those were the specific scenes that I saw, but if all they can do is make it feel like looking through a window you better get a damn big TV (I don't think 50" is enough) or be prepared to sit really close.

I think for gaming this will be absolutely awesome. Unfortunately, I think that's still a ways away until the costs come down to be a commodity levels. $150 per a pair of glasses? Especially if you have young kids? yeah, right.

However, if I'm in a market for a new PC monitor, I'll try to invest in one that can do 3D. Are there any other options other than Samsung that comes with the NVIDIA vision?

Durante

How much the 3D effect comes out of / into the screen is a simple matter of configuration with games. (With 3D vision you can adjust this, and the strength of the depth effect, for each game)

McHuj said:
2. There seemed to be ghosting that I saw (some pro reviewers saw this as well I believe).
That's a problem with LCD response time. Really, if you want (frame sequential stereoscopic) 3D then plasma or DLP are much better choices.

(Also, that is not a LED TV)

McHuj

Durante said:
(Also, that is not a LED TV)

It doesn't matter, they're marketed as LED TV's and almost everyone refers to them as LED even if it's not technically true.

1-D_FTW

That press release for Nvidia's 3DTV Play scares me more than a little. It's talking about 1080P @ 24hz for Blu-Ray movies and 720P @50/60 hz for gaming. Obviously these rates are doubled when you account for left/right. But WTF happened to 1080@60 (120hz input/2)? This has been the standard since they reintroduced NVision.

What worries me is I was reading through a thread for a 3D capable TV and someone posted the HDMI 1.4 specs that matched the same shit: 1080P@24hz and 720P@60hz. If the HDMI spec has eliminated the ability to INPUT 120hz at 1080P then it's a shit standard and epic fail.

xemumanic

1-D_FTW said:
That press release for Nvidia's 3DTV Play scares me more than a little. It's talking about 1080P @ 24hz for Blu-Ray movies and 720P @50/60 hz for gaming. Obviously these rates are doubled when you account for left/right. But WTF happened to 1080@60 (120hz input/2)? This has been the standard since they reintroduced NVision.

What worries me is I was reading through a thread for a 3D capable TV and someone posted the HDMI 1.4 specs that matched the same shit: 1080P@24hz and 720P@60hz. If the HDMI spec has eliminated the ability to INPUT 120hz at 1080P then it's a shit standard and epic fail.

If I'm not mistaken, Nvidia's 3DTV Play, and what they had before (what you refer to as NVision) are two different things. Nvidia's 3DTV Play is a $40 kit so existing nvidia GPU owners with a 3DTV can enjoy 3D. The reason its 720p for gaming is because that's what in the new HDMI 1.4 spec for 3D. What Nvidia did before was via DVI to a 120hz PC LCD (Dual Link DVI I believe), and isn't compatible with a big screen 3DTV, because they don't accept a 120hz input, just 24/30/48/60hz.

As far as I know, the difference between 120hz displays from last year and 3DTVs now are that they accept a 48hz(?) input from a 3D source. The display itself isn't too much different than what was available last year. The real difference is the processing the new 3DTVs can do to provide 3D. I just wish they could take in a 120hz input, because any Nvidia owner could then just get the NVision package they've had for ages and get 1080p 3D.

I'm sure I've got some minor details wrong, someone more anal retentive than I will soon post to correct my errors no doubt.

Pachimari

I don't think we have had an exact number of how many games Sony are developing yet. But some days ago, they had a press conference about 3D and PS3 here in Copenhagen. They revealed Sony Computer Entertainment Europe are working on 6-8 titles (i guess Eyepet, LBP, Wipeout).

3D Introduction:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gbGIcqNbJk&feature=player_embedded

3D in Depth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhnSmPaxMD4&feature=player_embedded

3D PlayStation & Blu-Ray:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYCfQEKTRM8&feature=player_embedded

AndyD

aka andydumi
Anastacio said:
I don't think we have had an exact number of how many games Sony are developing yet. But some days ago, they had a press conference about 3D and PS3 here in Copenhagen. They revealed Sony Computer Entertainment Europe are working on 6-8 titles (i guess Eyepet, LBP, Wipeout).

3D PlayStation & Blu-Ray:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYCfQEKTRM8&feature=player_embedded

In this one they address the HDMI 1.4 question.

He said the PS3 will support the 3D requirement as its a software only thing he said. It is just a control channel on the HDMI spec which already exists. It just needs to be enabled via firmware on the PS3 and its ready to go. It will not have all the other stuff in 1.4 like audio return and whatnot, but 3D image will be just like any other player.

He also mentioned other Bluray players can be firmware updated to show 3D but didn't mention which that I heard.

Said Killzone 2 was there in 3D and showed the intro screen and showed Wipeout gameplay in 3D.

I got to see the new 3D sets again today. This time I got to watch it be myself for about an hour. I'm still not really impressed...I understand that this is new technology, but the prices were full on crazy! So you can get the Samsung 55" LED set, 3D ready BR player and two glasses for $4K Canadian...Oh so you want an extra set? That's another $500...And then taxes?! :lol

Oh and people swiping at the image while in the store is priceless...

I'm planning to replace my HT projector sometime next year, so they have that long to impress me...

The PC route is probably the best/cheapest/future-proof. 120Hz monitors are becoming the norm, Nvidia GPUs have the biggest marketshare, and 3D Vision has already been implemented into a lot of games (Metro 2033 nom nom). All you need are the glasses, and they often come free with the GPU anyway.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Mattlikewhoa said:
I got to see the new 3D sets again today. This time I got to watch it be myself for about an hour. I'm still not really impressed...I understand that this is new technology, but the prices were full on crazy! So you can get the Samsung 55" LED set, 3D ready BR player and two glasses for $4K Canadian...Oh so you want an extra set? That's another $500...And then taxes?! :lol

Oh and people swiping at the image while in the store is priceless...

I'm planning to replace my HT projector sometime next year, so they have that long to impress me...

That's what people said about the price of the first LED LCDs and then at the first local dimming sets. Now they are pretty much the norm in quality LCDs.

Remember there is an early adopter "tax" which will go away in about a year.

Has anyone seen the 3D hockey game they broadcast this week? Curious on any impressions of a live 3D event.

The Hermit

Since I´m completly ignorant in this field, whats the diference between a 120hz LCD monitor and a 120hz LCD TV? Why can't I use the second for 3D?

onken

When I went see Avatar I occasionally took the glasses off to compare the difference between 2D and 3D (who doesn't?) Now I assume this is some side effect of the polarization, but what really hit me was how much brighter and more vibrant the picture was without the glasses.

So my question is, is this new TV tech the same as they use in the cinema and does it have the same "muddy" look?

onken said:
When I went see Avatar I occasionally took the glasses off to compare the difference between 2D and 3D (who doesn't?) Now I assume this is some side effect of the polarization, but what really hit me was how much brighter and more vibrant the picture was without the glasses.

So my question is, is this new TV tech the same as they use in the cinema and does it have the same "muddy" look?

No the movie like Avatar is using a polarized light solution which has an issue in that the lighting is cut in half for each eye.

They turn up the brightness for polarized solutions which can harm the fidelity of the color spectrum washing it out.

That's where Active Shuttering allows the full color spectrum but they have to have a very high refresh rate so your eyes are fooled into thinking its continuous.

madara

If you dont have money to burn please wait it out folks! I seen friends time and again having to be first only end up having to sell it at a loss to make ends meet or get left with a product that only does half of what their friends toys do. I would also love a time machine to tell my younger self that a few times. :lol

cakefoo

I watched a "3D" sample of Monsters vs Aliens on a Samsung at Best Buy today. First things first, I disabled AMP. After that, I was noticing a lot of warping, the image wasn't making any sense. I paused the movie, and lo and behold, the picture looked like it was just a 2D image warping in and out in random spots.

Probably no different than what on-the-fly 2D>3D conversion looks like. My question is why would they resort to that crap with a store demo?

Durante

I recently saw a no-glasses 3D TV at a store. It did work, but compared to my 3D vision setup the stereo separation and depth effect was much lower quality even at the ideal position. I think in terms of actual picture quality shutter glasses are the best solution for now (when combined with a display technology that doesn't introduce ghosting, so something other than LCD).

onken said:
With every stereo technique the picture will be roughly twice as bright without glasses. Luckily most current displays technologies can produce a much brighter picture than necessary, so this is easily compensated for. There should be no difference in "vibrancy" though, at least with a shutter-based solution.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The latest episode of Qore appears to suggest/confirm these titles as being made 3D:

Killzone 2
LittleBigPlanet
Wipeout HD
Gran Turismo 5
Super Stardust HD

and.... Invincible Tiger: The Legend of Han Tao :p (I guess this will be an update to enable 'proper' 3D over 1.4 instead of the approach used previously)

You can watch the clip here and decide for yourself if it's actually confirmation or not...Belmont says it's a 'sneak peek' at the content to come:

http://thegameraccess.com/news/ps3/killzone-2-going-3d

mclaren777

Akainu said:
I always wanted to know what the 3d levels in Sly Cooper 3 were like.
They weren't very good (weak depth effect and the colors were off) so you didn't really miss anything.

And thanks for the videos, Anastacio!

Eteric Rice

I would do the smart thing and wait a few years until the technology matures and gets cheaper.

What almost ALWAYS happens is you buy something when it's brand new, and end up regretting it later because it gets tweaked and something better comes along.

Just wait.

Top Bottom