• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

40x15m sinkhole in Germany at 3am!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoukka

ColeTheMole said:
Great_Blue_Hole.jpg

For some reason, I feel extremely uneasy when watching this pic.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Still 2 more years before the end of the world. The warnings are already there.

We are not prepared.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Mohonky said:
Really? You'd dive there? Just looking at it is scaring the shit out of me, I would be shitting myself even on those boats, I dunno why but I can just imagine it sort of 'flushing' and taking everything with it.

Sinkholes are damned weird, seems to be a lot of them lately too.

Yeah, I was exploring the crawlspaces under my parents 250-year old house when I was 4 :). I'd love to check out such deep sinkholes, either on land or underwater.

Bisnic said:
Still 2 more years before the end of the world. The warnings are already there.

We are not prepared.

Why would we need to prepare for the end of the world?

@these sinkholes: the almost perfect cylindrical shape of these holes with the smooth walls etc. always amazes me
this one is only 25m deep, but holy shit @ the 200m vertical tunnel in that pic from Guatemala.

Repgnar

vitaminwateryum said:
Translated

Appreciate it.

Sinkholes are crazy looking, would be even weirder to be there when it happens. Has there been any video footage of one happening? The Guatemala is still the coolest, even if it's not the biggest. The city with a giant black hole in the middle is just something you'd never expect to see.

Dmorr07 said:
Appreciate it.

Sinkholes are crazy looking, would be even weirder to be there when it happens. Has there been any video footage of one happening? The Guatemala is still the coolest, even if it's not the biggest. The city with a giant black hole in the middle is just something you'd never expect to see.

not really.
at least not of huge holes.

There is some footage from the Lake Peigneur disaster though. an entire lake was emptied into a sinkhole caused by a salt mine beneath the lake.
watch it. it's pretty interesting and terrifying
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddlrGkeOzsI

AndyD

aka andydumi
ColeTheMole said:
erosion.

Great_Blue_Hole.jpg

124 metres (407 ft) deep

scaryyy

Dove there. Its scary and amazing all at once. Although its not as impressive visually when you are in the water, you don't get the sense of scale as much.

I never noticed before, but the goatse.cx guy has a wedding ring on. Also you can see remnants of his butthole on his fingers, the redstuff. Blech.

Ezalc

While that crazy huge sinkhole in guatemala sacres the crap out of me when I look into it, I have the urge to sparta kick somebody into it.

Regardless, these things are ridiculous, but it finally confirms that the molepeople are beginning their assault.

Hela said:
So what causes sinkholes to happen?

A sinkhole, also known as a sink, shake hole, swallow hole, swallet, doline or cenote, is a natural depression or hole in the Earth's surface caused by karst processes — the chemical dissolution of carbonate rocks[1] or suffosion processes[2] f.e. in sandstone.

the biggest is located in china and is called "Xiaozhai tiankeng".

Most impressive sinkholes of the world are located in China. These pits are grouped in several locations in Chongqing Municipality, Guangxi, Guizhou and also Sichuan provinces. Here they are called tiankengs - "heavenly pits". Nature has been generous and offers here to us one of the most amazing sights on Earth - up to 662 m deep (!!!) holes with vertical walls and patches of unique subtropical forest below. Underground rivers appear at the bottoms of these holes and disappear underground again.

Bottom of this sinkhole is large enough to sustain small, isolated world full with life. Here have been registered 1,285 species of plants, including such rare plants as ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba L.) and many rare animals like clouded leopard (Neofelis nebulosa Griffith, 1828) and many others.

02-Zhu-Chen-F05c_LR.jpg

culturalchina0dad62d725c7ebad8a72.jpg

xinsrc_3508011018057952165860.jpg

size compared to a Boing 747 plane(upper right corner)
tXiao.jpg

one can only think of prehistoric species unknown to man down there....

cratere_2.jpg

Pfft...those are some pretty pussy sinkholes compared to other ones.

Also, please tell me that we're going to have mandatory sinkhole tests everywhere now, so we know to move the fuck out.

Mohonky said:
Really? You'd dive there? Just looking at it is scaring the shit out of me, I would be shitting myself even on those boats, I dunno why but I can just imagine it sort of 'flushing' and taking everything with it.

Sinkholes are damned weird, seems to be a lot of them lately too.

Hell yeah I would go with him.

That looks awesome

skyfinch

See, the thing about a hole is, if you dig around it....until the depth matches the depth of the hole, the hole no longer exists. It's simple physics.

stilgar

Mik2121 said:
Last I heard, GAF was an English speaking forum, so please talk in English. Same shit for the OP. WTF...

Awww three post in German they're not respecting teh rules!!!!!!

iamaustrian said:
it's 200m deep and swallowed an entire house, so you can assume that people died

well, they could've jumped right before their house landed and survived.

I know that doesn't actually work

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Man... this shit is gonna start happening in Yellowstone, too. Which means the super volcano will likely go off shortly thereafter - thus the end of the world as we know it. ("The Road" was set in such a post-super volcano environment)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom