• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

71 year old man shoots two in attempted robbery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...,1958486,print.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

PLANTATION -- One gunman is dead and another is in critical condition after they tried to rob a sandwich store and were shot by an armed customer Wednesday night, authorities said.

Donicio Arrindell, 22, of North Lauderdale, and Fredrick Gadson, 21, of Fort Lauderdale, entered a Subway restaurant at 1949 N. Pine Island Rd. and demanded money at gunpoint about 11:17 p.m., said Detective Robert Rettig, a police spokesman.

They then attempted to rob the lone customer, John Lovell, 71, of Plantation, by forcing him into the restroom, but Lovell, who was legally armed, pulled his gun and fired, police said.

Arrindell collapsed at the scene, while a police K-9 unit found Gadson hiding in a hedge in front of a nearby bank at the Jacaranda Square shopping center, officials said.

Both men were taken to Broward General Medical Center, where Arrindell died.

Gadson was in critical but stable condition on Thursday, investigators said.

Police said Lovell appeared to have shot in self-defense.

A man who said he was a friend of Lovell's described him as a "quiet Clint Eastwood-type you don't want to mess with."

"They just happened to pick on the wrong guy at the wrong time," said Wesley White of Yulee in north Florida. White said he's known Lovell for 19 years.

Lovell is a former Marine who was a member of the helicopter detail that transported Presidents Kennedy and Johnson, White said. He also was a former Pan Am and Delta airline pilot who worked out regularly and was in good condition, White said.

"He's also one heck of a shot," White, 50, said.

Lovell has no family or children and is retired, White said.

No one answered the door at Lovell's two-story townhome Thursday, and attempts to reach him by phone were unsuccessful. Reporters and TV cameras were camped out in front of the residence hoping for an interview.

Charges are pending against the surviving suspect, Rettig said.

Lovell is not expected to be charged, the spokesman said.

Sebastian Shakespeare, 23, of Lauderhill, said he was walking toward the store about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday to buy a sandwich. He said he saw Lovell pointing a silver handgun at the floor with one of the suspects on the ground.

"He looked like he was in control of the situation, like he had experience in these situations," Shakespeare said.

Kathy East, a teacher at Stranahan High School in Fort Lauderdale, said her son Matthew was a longtime friend of Arrindell and Gadson. The three boys attended Coconut Creek High School together, said East, of North Lauderdale.

Arrindell didn't graduate but was pursuing his GED, she said.

"I'm absolutely stunned he would have held up a store," East said.

Police have found a handgun used by one of the suspects, Rettig said.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
:\

I bet for every armed hero that come from situations like these, there are at least 50 armed wanna-be heroes that have a really heavy itch on their trigger...

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Brobzoid said:

I bet for every armed hero that come from situations like these, there are at least 50 armed wanna-be heroes that have a really heavy itch on their trigger...

I don't know if I'd would consider myself a hero for killing a 22-year old and wounding another. It'd be one thing if they shot someone, but they didn't. At the end of the day; I'd rather lose the cash in my wallet than shooting someone. But that might just be me.

Brobzoid

ItsInMyVeins said:
I don't know if I'd would consider myself a hero for killing a 22-year old and wounding another. It'd be one thing if they shot someone, but they didn't. At the end of the day; I'd rather lose the cash in my wallet than shooting someone. But that might just be me.

maybe I should have worded myself better, but my point wasn't that a man who kills someone in a position where he isn't going to get prosecuted is automatically a hero, I meant that the people who wish so dearly to be labeled as heroes for similar actions read these news stories and get all fired up.

Loki

Count of Concision
ItsInMyVeins said:

It's a crazy world. You've never heard of people getting shot even after complying with a criminal's request? Happens every day. If you have the means to protect yourself and desire to do so, rather than trusting your life to the whims of a possibly deranged individual, self defense is your natural right; whomever avails themselves of that right should not be second guessed by people outside the situation. Period. The robbers threatened lethal force first by brandishing firearms -- the blame, should you believe in assigning any, lies with them.

itsinmyveins

Brobzoid said:
maybe I should have worded myself better, but my point wasn't that a man who kills someone in a position where he isn't going to get prosecuted is automatically a hero, I meant that the people who wish so dearly to be labeled as heroes for similar actions read these news stories and get all fired up.

Sorry if it came out like that, but I didn't mean to imply that you think every gun-carrying dude is a hero. I just continued - with my view - on that stretch of though you first constructed. Just because of what you now say - people reading the story and getting all fired up about it.

Loki said:
It's a crazy world. You've never heard of people getting shot even after complying with a criminal's request? Happens every day. If you have the means to protect yourself and desire to do so, rather than trusting your life to the whims of a possibly deranged individual, self defense is your natural right; whomever avails themselves of that right should not be second guessed by people outside the situation. Period. The robbers threatened lethal force first by brandishing firearms -- the blame, should you believe in assigning any, lies with them.

Yes, it is possible that they would have shot someone later on, I'm not arguing against that.

Loki

Count of Concision
ItsInMyVeins said:
Yes, it is possible that they would have shot someone later on, I'm not arguing against that.

I'm not even talking about later. Right there, at that moment, the victim has no way of knowing whether they're going to shoot him anyway after he hands over his cash. It happens pretty frequently, really. I wouldn't ask that someone essentially be a mind reader (to read the criminal's true intentions) in order to satisfy my own questionable moral notions, and neither should you. Not when their life is on the line. If someone wants to roll the dice and hand over the cash, then that's fine -- I don't take issue with that, and most of the time the situation ends there. But neither do I take issue with someone who decided to defend himself against persons who threatened lethal force first, and who would possibly shoot him anyway after he cooperates. That's his natural right.

Different strokes. My point is to not play the blame game in these sorts of situations, unless one clearly acted outside the bounds of strict self-defense, since you then venture into moral gray areas.

LuCkymoON

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
I kinda agree, while I have no sympathy for the criminals (cuz they got caught) If they wanted to kill someone they would've done so as soon as they got the money from the register or when they first walked in. It's easier to take a wallet off a dead man than a living man.

Loki said:
I agree with this too, thats why the perps should have shot as soon as they walked in but they didn't so now one is dead and one will be a butt buddy in prison.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Lovell is a former Marine

The other day it was a 72 year old marine who beat the shit out of someone trying to steal his wallet.

Kickass is their middle name even when they're elderly.

SCReuter

Don't **** with the Marines, especially the elderly ones.

That's what the Off-Topic Discussion has taught me this week.

Troidal

Eh. The kids had guns too, and if I was getting robbed and I also had a gun...tough call. They could possibly kill me too.

Like they say, it's kill or be killed.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
ItsInMyVeins said:
Sorry if it came out like that, but I didn't mean to imply that you think every gun-carrying dude is a hero. I just continued - with my view - on that stretch of though you first constructed. Just because of what you now say - people reading the story and getting all fired up about it.

Sheit i remember when i was living in VA Beach some dude walked into the 7 11 shot the lady at the counter and THEN had the nerve to demand the money in the safe. Most ridiculous robbery caught on tape ever, "BANG" Gimmie da money!", "...or what you'll shoot me?".

Those two walked on the edge once they involved guns and intimidation, they didnt learn soon enough theres always someone ready to go the full distance, and you never know who's path you will cross. Oh well.

itsinmyveins

Loki said:
I'm not even talking about later. Right there, at that moment, the victim has no way of knowing whether they're going to shoot him anyway after he hands over his cash. It happens pretty frequently, really. I wouldn't ask that someone essentially be a mind reader (to read the criminal's true intentions) in order to satisfy my own questionable moral notions, and neither should you. Not when their life is on the line. If someone wants to roll the dice and hand over the cash, then that's fine -- I don't take issue with that, and most of the time the situation ends there. But neither do I take issue with someone who decided to defend himself against persons who threatened lethal force first, and who would possibly shoot him anyway after he cooperates. That's his natural right.

Different strokes. My point is to not play the blame game in these sorts of situations, unless one clearly acted outside the bounds of strict self-defense, since you then venture into moral gray areas.

I'm getting a feeling you're reading to much into what I've written, and I'm not blaming that old man.

Then again, I'd love some statistics of how many robbers that end with people being killed after their complience. Of course it happens, but it'd be nice with some numbers on it. But I guess there aren't any(?).

I kinda agree, while I have no sympathy for the criminals (cuz they got caught) If they wanted to kill someone they would've done so as soon as they got the money from the register or when they first walked in. It's easier to take a wallet off a dead man than a living man.

Pretty much the same way I reasoned too.

shpankey

not an idiot
damn, these "greatest generation" old people still representin', especially the marine ones. shouldn't be f'd with i guess

Loki

Count of Concision
ItsInMyVeins said:
I'm getting a feeling you're reading to much into what I've written, and I'm not blaming that old man.

I'm not suggesting that you're blaming him, per se, but your initial post conveyed slightly condescending moral judgment, albeit muted. Perhaps it was just the way you phrased it...

No biggie either way. I just wanted to get my thoughts out there, because there's always someone who pipes up in these topics and chastises the person defending themselves (not you, just in general).

itsinmyveins

Loki said:
I'm not suggesting that you're blaming him, per se, but your initial post conveyed slightly condescending moral judgment, albeit muted. Perhaps it was just the way you phrased it...

No biggie either way. I just wanted to get my thoughts out there, because there's always someone who pipes up in these topics and chastises the person defending themselves (not you, just in general).

To make it short; I'm not judging him and of course I understand why he did what he did, but I'm not sure I agree with his actions.

SCReuter

ItsInMyVeins said:
To make it short; I'm not judging him and of course I understand why he did what he did, but I'm not sure I agree with his actions.
You mean, defending himself?

Putting two low-life criminals in their place? (They knew the risky circumstances.)

Setting an example?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Brobzoid said:

I bet you are full of shit too.

Ketchup Boy

I feel sorry for the dude that died. I would've shot the dude in the legs because I wouldn't want to kill somebody, just shoot them for being a dumbas$.

Aaron

ItsInMyVeins said:
I think anyone who waves a gun in your face just lost the benefit of the doubt.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
These old guys are a part of the les miserables project. They are clones of big boss and fully capable of kicking any and all ass.

JayDubya said:
Man, what a tragedy - he left one alive.

what? :lol

Brobzoid

Oldschoolgamer said:
These old guys are a part of the les miserables project. They are clones of big boss and fully capable of kicking any and all ass.

what? :lol

Is your french in order? Les Enfants Terrible, nein?

Grifter

Ketchup Boy said:
I feel sorry for the dude that died. I would've shot the dude in the legs because I wouldn't want to kill somebody, just shoot them for being a dumbas$.

Tremendous idea -- shoot an armed man in the leg so he's still alive. There's no chance he'll tag you in the head in return or anything.

SonnyBoy

They got what they deserved. If you live by the gun, you die by the gun.

IMO, criminals have too many rights. If you're purposefully putting someone in potential danger and get killed I have no sympathy for you or your family.

itsinmyveins

SCReuter said:
You mean, defending himself?

Putting two low-life criminals in their place? (They knew the risky circumstances.)

Setting an example?

What they did was wrong, no doubt, and I understand why he responded like he did. But I don't know if they deserved to die for it.

Ketchup Boy said:
When someone does a armed robbery they are doing it with the intent to take what is not theirs by any means necessary. With that in mind you need to be ready, able and willing to react appropriately.

SonnyBoy

ItsInMyVeins said:
What they did was wrong, no doubt, and I understand why he responded like he did. But I don't know if they deserved to die for it.

So should he have waited until they killed him before attempting to shoot back? I don't think it would have worked out too well.

I won't say that anyone deserves to die but they put themselves in that predicament and it's entirely their fault.

Ketchup Boy said:

Yeah, shoot him in his leg so that he can still shoot you with his two good arms. :lol

shpankey

not an idiot
Ketchup Boy said:
dude HAD A GUN. you don't think he would have shot back? :lol

ToxicAdam

Arrindell didn't graduate but was pursuing his GED, she said.

"I'm absolutely stunned he would have held up a store," East said.

Yea, I'm sure at the age of 22, the guy was hard at work on getting that GED.

ItsInMyVeins said:

And by carrying a gun into a robbery they're implying that there is a circumstance where innocent people might deserve to die just for carrying a wallet or being at a Subway. **** that. You carry a gun to rob someone you DESERVE to get shot and dice roll for your life.

I wasn't there, so it's hard to say, but because the kids were so young I think that killing one of them was a bit much. Young people do stupid things and there was still a lot of time in that guy's life to change. But there's also the possibility that they were willing to kill, and maybe the old guy saw that. It's hard to say without having been there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom